Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #46
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
@Bratzzo and @chyron8472, You will be able to disable APNX generation in the next release. It will be an option in the Kindle Interface settings.

Also, I've set the default to use the accurate parser. This can be changed in the Kindle interface settings in the next release.

@GRiker, It works and it's not a terribly expensive operation. I will add that ticket to my todo list. It shouldn't be hard to implement and since the user is requesting the data they should be fine with having to wait for it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #47
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
@Bratzzo and @chyron8472, You will be able to disable APNX generation in the next release. It will be an option in the Kindle Interface settings.
Thank you!
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #48
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
My parser only looks at the amount of visible text. Each page is comprised of 32 lines and each line can have up to 70 characters. A paragraph always starts a new line. The accuracy can be increased by adding support for handling <div class="mbp_pagebreak" /> and <br> tags.

One of my test books at page 105 mapped 1 to 1 to the print version. I did not do extensive testing of the other pages. Other books mapped very closely to the print edition.

Over all the more accurate APNX generator gives much closer results. With handling for the two additional elements OCRed texts and ones that use the same type setting as their print counter parts should give nearly 1 to 1 page mappings.
Outstanding.

Just getting to the "only looks at the amount of visible text" is awesome, all by itself.

Quote:
Now for the big question. Is doubling the time it takes to transfer the book to the device worth a more accurate mapping? The mapping will be thrown off if the print book physical dimensions are different than the average paper back size I'm using. So a hard cover, larger or smaller paper back will cause the mapping to be off.

Also, if it is worth the extra time for using the accurate parser would it be worth increasing the time even more by changing the parser to accommodate the two previously mentioned elements and make it even more accurate?
It's only a matter of seconds, and just one time, so for me, it's easily worth it. But having the option means you can't lose. No one can!

You're giving the best of all worlds to everyone.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #49
Bratzzo
Addict
Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bratzzo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I suggest making it an option in the kindle driver and/or putting it into the MOBI output code.

Quote:

Also, I've set the default to use the accurate parser. This can be changed in the Kindle interface settings in the next release.
Thanks to both of you!

That sounds great!

Bratzzo
Bratzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #50
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The accuracy can be increased by adding support for handling <div class="mbp_pagebreak" /> and <br> tags.
And images, and font size differences, and margins (blank space)... I don't think considering these is worth it, though.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #51
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
And images, and font size differences, and margins (blank space)... I don't think considering these is worth it, though.
Forgot about those... I'll add them to my todo list. I think the accurate parser is good enough for now but I plan to pick it up again in the future and make it as accurate as possible.

Also, I want to let everyone know that the Fast parser is going to be used by default. The accurate parser can be set in Preferences, Plugins, Device Interfaces, Kindle 2/3, and check the use accurate parser option. Kovid decided to use the fast parser as the default because HUFF/CDIC compressed file can take upwards of 3 - 5 minutes to decompress. My test files are all PalmDoc compressed which take 3 - 5 seconds to decompress.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #52
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Also, I want to let everyone know that the Fast parser is going to be used by default.
Good decision.

Thanks for putting in the time on this.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #53
mug2k
mug2k began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
So is there an option in calibre to add page numbers to existing epub and mobi files ?. Sorry if my question is stupid but you guys are way too technical for me lol
mug2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #54
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug2k View Post
So is there an option in calibre to add page numbers to existing epub and mobi files?
EPUB no. The files themselves are not modifed. An extra file is sent with the MOBI file when the book is sent to the Kindle 2 or 3. This extra file specifies the pages inside of the MOBI file and only works in a Kindle.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #55
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I have the latest version of Calibre (0.7.45) and I've entered the ISBN information for a .mobi book. Is there a way for me to save the .apnx file to a directory on my computer directly from Calibre as opposed to having it copied when I transfer the book to my Kindle? I can't find an option in Calibre to save that file?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #56
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I have the latest version of Calibre (0.7.45) and I've entered the ISBN information for a .mobi book. Is there a way for me to save the .apnx file to a directory on my computer directly from Calibre as opposed to having it copied when I transfer the book to my Kindle? I can't find an option in Calibre to save that file?
No. And the ISBN doesn't matter because APNX generated by calibre does not map to a print version. The only page mapping infomation to prints edition is not made publically avaliable by Amazon. The only way to get an APNX that maps exactly to aprint edition is to buy the book from Amazon.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #57
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Amazon will also continue adding .apnx files to books, focusing most heavily on big sellers & non-fiction books that are more likely to require such reference.

I think the method you are using, user_none, is just dandy for the rest, and most important, it seems to be the only way toward a standard for all ebooks.

IOW,

"only looks at visible text.
Each page is comprised of n lines and each line can have up to n characters.
A paragraph always starts a new line.
<div class="mbp_pagebreak" /> = new page
...could become the standardized ebook page* so people could settle in with a feel for weight, and all e-versions would match (closely enough) across all formats, regardless of fonts, margins, etc...

(*Call them pages, locations, blocks, whatever everyone wants to call these chunks that give humans logical points of reference and progress. I just use page since it's simplest as a common metaphor.)
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #58
don1011
Enthusiast
don1011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Why when i mail my book to my kindle, i don't have the page numerotation but i have it if i transfer the book by usb
don1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #59
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1011 View Post
Why when i mail my book to my kindle, i don't have the page numerotation but i have it if i transfer the book by usb
The APNX file generation is part of the Kindle Interface. Meaning it will only be created and sent to the Kindle when the using "Send to Device" tool bar (or right click) option. Any other method will not have an APNX.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #60
3rdDegree
3rdDegree began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I guess my question is well below the technical quality of the above ones. Will Kindle books now be able to operate like iBooks? That is, recalculate pages based on font and text size. Also show number of pages to end of chapter? Obviously this type of page numbering has no bearing on the page numbers from the printed book.

Thanks
3rdDegree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apnx, page numbers