Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Is it time to split the Freebies forum ?

Lately I've noticed an explosion of posts in the Freebies section. Sometimes there is 4 or 5 posts detailing the same freebie or deal. Is it time for this forum to split into Kindle, Sony and General sections
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Or maybe between ereaders/gear and ebooks?
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So many ways to split it... I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say it should be split by geographical restrictions. Or perhaps by format (versus brand of reader) because many devices can read many formats.

I'd argue for people actually READING what others have posted before posting the same deal in triplicate. Helps if the first poster includes the name of the book in the subject line rather than just "Sony deal!" or something.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Lately I've noticed an explosion of posts in the Freebies section. Sometimes there is 4 or 5 posts detailing the same freebie or deal. Is it time for this forum to split into Kindle, Sony and General sections

That's my fault. I don't have time to read everything here and when I run across something I post it.

Probably others do the same, so maybe if it were in a smaller listing...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
So many ways to split it... I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say it should be split by geographical restrictions. Or perhaps by format (versus brand of reader) because many devices can read many formats.

I'd argue for people actually READING what others have posted before posting the same deal in triplicate. Helps if the first poster includes the name of the book in the subject line rather than just "Sony deal!" or something.
As I said, I really don't have time to read every post, but if the subject contained the title that would definitely help. Still it might get lost in the postings....
Old 11-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
I would suggest a guidelines for posters would perhaps be the most useful. So that posters know to include author / book / publisher / price / formats available / geographic restrictions / DRM and how to title the post. Not forgetting of course the link!

Iy might be nice if they included a short review or description, better than the d/l sites that is.
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
I just timed my doing a search in this forum for "The Hunters". Six or seven seconds. Possibly quicker than reading the titles of posts.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
kennyc

I don't think it's that big a deal to have a particular deal listed a few times, but if it's hundreds of times, then yeah.....
Old 11-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
mcspice
mcspice began at the beginning.

Device: Kindlel & Sony
I will enjoy the posts no matter how they end up being organized!

(We have more than one brand of eReader & enjoy freebies!!)
mcspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
What about adding a prefix option? Like the one in the new sony forum. Sure would be nice to look at the deal page and see what deals are kindle only, sony only, or what have you.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklynds View Post
What about adding a prefix option? Like the one in the new sony forum. Sure would be nice to look at the deal page and see what deals are kindle only, sony only, or what have you.
My original thought was that Kindle owners don't care about Sony deals, Sony owners don't care about Kindle deals(unless you belong to the elite multiple device owners club ) and a general area showing discount coupons, ebook store sales and titles that everyone would like such as unpublished authors providing their ebooks in a variety of formats.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
My original thought was that Kindle owners don't care about Sony deals, Sony owners don't care about Kindle deals(unless you belong to the elite multiple device owners club ) and a general area showing discount coupons, ebook store sales and titles that everyone would like such as unpublished authors providing their ebooks in a variety of formats.
I really like that idea.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think that it will just be helpful for the book title and the platform that the book is for be listed in the thread title...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I think that it will just be helpful for the book title and the platform that the book is for be listed in the thread title...
++

Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #15
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Yes, but it can be argued where the distinction should lie. I would like to see one forum for free and discounted ebook offers and a seperate forum for hardware.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote