Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Any new e-ink ebook readers?

I have a friend who wants just a dedicated reader.

with all the news seeming to talk about tablets, have I missed anything new on the dedicated front?
Kindle and Nook I know about and they are in her price range.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Also look at the Sony Readers: PRS-350 (5") PRS-650 (6") and PRS-950 (7"). The 5" might be a good choice if a smaller size is desirable.

Borders sells the Kobo Reader, which is basic but inexpensive.

The only other semi-realistic E Ink option in the US is PocketBook, e.g. from Dunlin's Books.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

Borders sells the Kobo Reader, which is basic but inexpensive.

The only other semi-realistic E Ink option in the US is PocketBook
They would be bad choices. Reason: no pearl screen
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFromHC View Post
I have a friend who wants just a dedicated reader.

with all the news seeming to talk about tablets, have I missed anything new on the dedicated front?
Kindle and Nook I know about and they are in her price range.
Are there any particular features that your friend would like? Ones that come to mind are wi-fi or 3g, the ability to take out books from the library, dictionary, touchscreen, text to speech, does your friend read books in foreign languages...

In other words, does your friend have any particular wants or needs? If not, she would probably be happy with any device. If she does have some particular wants, you can mention them here and someone can help tell you which devices would fit her needs.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Mike, Ectaco introduced at CES two weeks ago the jetBook+ with a MSRP of $129. It has the same reflective TFT screen that the jetBook has, and which jetBook owners are very happy with.

If she can't wait, she might also consider the jetBook Lite which Newegg is selling today for $85 with a free leather cover and earlight. It appears that the JBL will be discontinued, however.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I have both the TFT screen and the e-Ink and the e-Ink wins hands down, especially as of the new Nook 1.5 update. Without rooting though, the Nook just cannot handle any large number of sideloaded books and has a really crappy file organize and search system. The Jetbook has a very elegant file management system and a decent screen, just not as good as the Nook.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
while i love the pearl screen and do find it superior, other readers are not neccessarily bad choices. Esp if you want specific features or have a specific price range.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
I have both the TFT screen and the e-Ink and the e-Ink wins hands down, especially as of the new Nook 1.5 update...
Chas, I have the Astak EZReader as well as the jetBook Lite, and I much prefer the JBL's reflective TFT screen to the EZReader's eInk vizplex. The text is blacker and more sharp. Different strokes!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #9
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
My Kobo 1 and Sony PRS-300 are perfectly fine ereaders with excellent clarity and they do not have a pearl screen.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #10
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
The same is true for my Pocketbook 360°.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 AM   #11
goodereader
Banned
goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.goodereader got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Many, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Pocketbook, Sony etc.
If you want low cost e-readers the alertek libre is cost effective, I would prob get your friend to go with an e-reader with an existing content distributrion system, so hes not having to find and download books and use adobe digital editions and other software.

I would say Kobo wireless has the most bang for your buck for the low end e-readers, kindle 3 WIFI and Nook WI FI is solid investments as well. If he wants to spend less then 100 you can get the mighty jetbook mini! Just pack your own batteries.
goodereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodereader View Post
...If he wants to spend less then 100 you can get the mighty jetbook mini! Just pack your own batteries.
I would say you would be much better off with the Jetbook Lite as opposed to the mini. The mini only works with TXT files while the Lite works with TXT, PDF, FB2, ePub, ePub DRM, B&N ePub, Mobi, eReader (PDB) DRM, PRC and RTF formats, pictures in JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP. This also gets you access to library books.

Last edited by chas0039; 01-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
My Kobo 1 and Sony PRS-300 are perfectly fine ereaders with excellent clarity and they do not have a pearl screen.
I too have the Kobo 1 and have no problems with the screens visability. I have books that have darker pages than my Kobo.

Also, you would want to get the Kobo Wi-Fi, which has a better screen that the first one anyway.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
EricLandes
Connoisseur
EricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipseEricLandes can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle PW, Kobo Aura HD, Galaxy Note 10.1
The iRiver Story HD looks a tad interesting, though partnering with Borders may not have been the wisest move:
EricLandes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
chas0039
Sceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLandes View Post
The iRiver Story HD looks a tad interesting, though partnering with Borders may not have been the wisest move:
I'm curious as to how the reviewer thinks a $200 ebook reader will drive down the prices? I don't see anything at more than $200 these days.