Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Could ebook readers revive the short story format?

I've only had my eBookwise 1150 for less than two weeks and already I've downloaded & read several short stories by authors I've never read before. (For example, "Dark Replay" by Mike Resnick - highly recommended if you haven't read it! )

They're the perfect length for a read on the subway going to/from work! And it occurred to me - if eBook readers really become a staple, maybe that would revive the market for short stories, which hasn't really been "hot" for a long time (except maybe in s/f).

What do you think?
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I know I read a lot more short stories & novellas on my Reader than I used to in paper.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It is certainly easier to carry around 20 or 30 short stories on an ebook than in paper.

Matter of fact, the Sherlock Homes Omnibus is 50% short stories. It is nice to read those in the "reading room" and be able to finish one in a short time.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Yes, I read more short stories now. Previously I only bought Year's Best SF, and planned to look into some other anthologies. Now FictionWise has been republishing many individual short stories, which I love. So it is easier for me to find great short stories.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think it would really help if short stories from an anthology ended up being sold individually, maybe after some time has passed since their original release. I rarely buy anthologies because of their hit-or-miss nature, so it would be nice if I could get them from the library and then buy my favorites of the stories later on.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:31 AM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
yes

I definatly read more short stories now. I like that they are often very inexpensive or free.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I hate buying individual short stories. The length of time selecting/buying/downloading the story is disproportional to the time take to read it.

I do like anthologies of short stories, and magazines of short stories. I have subscriptions to Analog, Asimov's, F&SF, JBU* and the Grantville Gazette. I've also bought several anthologies.

But individual short stories? Not for me.

*JBU - Jim Baen's Universe. A relatively new on-line SF magazine http://www.baens-universe.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
If eBook readers really become a staple, maybe that would revive the market for short stories, which hasn't really been "hot" for a long time (except maybe in s/f).

What do you think?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:37 AM   #8
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I've certainly found myself I read a lot more short fiction on my Sony now, though in my case I tend to prefer anthologies - I buy a lot more of them than I ever used to in paper, and they work very well in the ebook context. Also, there's a lot of very good original anthologies around these days. John Joseph Adams is one of the most interesting anthologists around in sf and fantasy these days - I have his Seeds of Change anthology, and my eye on several others on sale at www.webscription.net.

I did write on my blog a while back (it was later crossposted at the digitalist.net) that I wondered if short story collections as ebooks might be a very powerful promotional tool for novelists.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm not at all sure that the format has ever gone away. Baen, for example, sell numerous short story collections.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:54 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I read more short stories than I used to. I think has most to do with that there's a lot avaliable via the Internet. Before, when I borrowed a book from et library, it was nice if it didn't 'end too soon', so I preferred long books. Now it's easer to find more, and more diverse, reading matter, so I'm more open to reading short stories han I used to.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by deety View Post
I think it would really help if short stories from an anthology ended up being sold individually, maybe after some time has passed since their original release. I rarely buy anthologies because of their hit-or-miss nature, so it would be nice if I could get them from the library and then buy my favorites of the stories later on.
Penguin has been doing this for a few of their anthologies.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've been reading quite a few more short stories. Some in anthologies and some standalone freebies or cheapies.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I love short stories. Ray Bradbury's work opened up that world to me and from there I jumped to Eudora Welty, John Cheever, John Collier, Katherine Anne Porter and many more. My hope is that the ebook revolution will re-energise the short story form as it's truly a pleasure to sit down and read a story in one sitting.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #14
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I love short stories. Ray Bradbury's work opened up that world to me and from there I jumped to Eudora Welty, John Cheever, John Collier, Katherine Anne Porter and many more. My hope is that the ebook revolution will re-energise the short story form as it's truly a pleasure to sit down and read a story in one sitting.
I agree! And I'm definitely going to look for more stories by Mike Resnick - someone I'd never even heard of till I read one of his stories last week.
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #15
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman View Post
I agree! And I'm definitely going to look for more stories by Mike Resnick - someone I'd never even heard of till I read one of his stories last week.
There are bunches on FictionWise.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote