Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your experience with Facebook? (select all you like)
What is this Facebook of which you speak? 7 5.83%
No I don't use Facebook 40 33.33%
Yes I use it, but I don't really know what I'm doing either 33 27.50%
I'm on it all the time 21 17.50%
I have more than 150 Facebook friends 11 9.17%
I have more Facebook friends than I have "real" ones 10 8.33%
I understand the mysteries of Facebook Privacy Settings 13 10.83%
Is there a twelve step program for Facebook? 3 2.50%
The blue one, next to the fish 89,676 100.00%
I just want to see the results 12 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Question So ... who uses this Facebook thing, anyway?

My step-mother dragged us into the Facebook thing as a way for the family to discuss group trips. It didn't work out so well for that purpose, and she eventually closed her account.

About, a year later my wife opened an account and starts having lots of fun with the thing, so, of course, I got curious, but it's a bit overwhelming to dive into cold so I thought I'd turn my my MobileRead peeps with my questions:

Who uses Facebook?
What do you do with it?
What's it good for in your experience?
What am I missing in my monumental ignorance?

I'll be adding a poll to help me keep better track of overall views and stuff.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please note that I shall be most disappointed if "The blue one, next to the fish" doesn't do well in the polling.
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Isn't the "face" part redundant? I mean, are there books that can be used by other parts of the anatomy?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
DOH! I didn't know you could select more than one option, so I didn't vote for Blue Fish.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Isn't the "face" part redundant? I mean, are there books that can be used by other parts of the anatomy?
You may have a point there, LazyScott, I guess I just assumed it was a "book" for putting faces in ....
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
Well, you (the vernacular you) got your pocket book, right?

BOb
Old 06-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
DOH! I didn't know you could select more than one option, so I didn't vote for Blue Fish.

BOb
Don't worry, I can always edit the results and bump it up by several thousand. (Hey! It's my poll, you know! Shouldn't I get the results I want?)
Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Don't worry, I can always edit the results and bump it up by several thousand. (Hey! It's my poll, you know! Shouldn't I get the results I want?)
That's how Neilson ratings work!

BOb
Old 06-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I love facebook. It helps me keep in touch with people that I wouldn't want to see again face to face, mwahahaha!

Actually, I like it for keeping in touch with family and friends that are farther away, and sharing photos.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
They should rename it to better represent its true nature, I'd suggest something like -- PEOPLE YOU DIDN'T LIKE AT SCHOOL NOW PESTERING YOU-BOOK
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
They should rename it to better represent its true nature, I'd suggest something like -- PEOPLE YOU DIDN'T LIKE AT SCHOOL NOW PESTERING YOU-BOOK
Or TheMostPopularSiteAtWorkMakingYouWonderHowAnyWorkG etsDoneBook
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
I have a facebook account, but I don't use it. I'm on two German business networking sites, that's enough for me. I think it would cost me too much time to also be on facebook. I'd rather hang with you MobileRead people
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post

I have made it a point to *not* use facebook. Apparently, that makes me really weird for my age group. I get bombarded with a few emails every week *used to be more* either from people asking me to join facebook with them, or from facebook herself, telling me how many of my friends have joined and how they all want me to join. It starts off saying "Jennylou wants you to join face book!" and then it says something like "Remember, these are your other friends who are on facebok and want you to join too! Pattypoo, Jimmyroo, Kellykoo, "etc etc etc ad nauseum. I hate being told what to do.

My friends say it's a great way to catch up with people from the past. Honestly, I'm still in touch, however remotely, with all the friends I wanted to keep touch with. And those I want to find? well, I stalk them the old fashioned way-- google. I don't necessarily want to re-establish a connection, I just want to spy on them a little bit.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I'm on it. Mostly family and a few friends. Although, I do block every application they send. I don't have time for all that stuff.

The first time someone sent me a trivia game, I played, then at the end "if you want to know your score, we will text it to you. What is your phone number"

No frickin way I'm giving some spambot my phone number just so they can tell me that I got 9/10 questions right. I'll get plenty of sleep tonight not knowing that.

Anyway, I'm not relaly bitter, just don't feel like having the govt know whether or not I like split-pea soup. They probably have it all anyway, in some spreadsheet.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Or TheMostPopularSiteAtWorkMakingYouWonderHowAnyWorkG etsDoneBook
I thought twitter.com held that honor?

BOb