Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Arawac
Arawac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Red face Kobo 2.0 and Mobi format books

Hi guys,

Been reading through the other 2.0 thread but couldnt find these specific issues:
1- I was reading a series by Feist in mobi format. After the firmware patch I am not able to get past the first page anymore; flipping to page 2 it just goes back to the homescreen without anything else. Some other mobi formatted books are still ok. I tested some mobi books on my wifes kobo touch and she has the same some mobi books read ok and others display the same behaviour.
2- I cant add any book to a shelve nor create a new one, it just forgets anything I entered or added.
3- adding anything to the shortlists also does nothing, does not get remembered.

Hope someone knows what's going on, thanks in advance !
Arawac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mobi was never wonderful on the Kobo. Grab yourself a copy of Calibre and convert to ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawac View Post
Hi guys,
2- I cant add any book to a shelve nor create a new one, it just forgets anything I entered or added.
3- adding anything to the shortlists also does nothing, does not get remembered.

Hope someone knows what's going on, thanks in advance !
Signing out of your account on the device go to Settings==> Account (which keeps your books in place, but replaces the Db) fixes problems like this.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Arawac

Ok been using Calibre and now tried converting first, looks ok now... but strange I used to be able to read the book ok, after the update impossible...

I'll try the account workaround brb
Old 07-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Arawac

Yup works, good one, thanks a million !!
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Arawac

One little thing not so huge but still...
I converted the mobi to epub, but it seems the page numbers are off ?
some pages it stays on the same page number ?
probably something during conversion ?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a common occurrence. Page numbering is so dependent on font size. It's not at all unusual for there to be more than one page. If you have the little margins numbers turned on (pick the wrench from the bottom menu, then advanced page 2) you will get numbers based on a formula that counts characters.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Arawac

ah ok thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #9
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It's a common occurrence. Page numbering is so dependent on font size. It's not at all unusual for there to be more than one page. If you have the little margins numbers turned on (pick the wrench from the bottom menu, then advanced page 2) you will get numbers based on a formula that counts characters.
Strange I've been under the impression that both the bottom of the screen page count and the right (your right) hand side of the screen count the characters and base page counts on that. I believe it's something like every 1000+ characters = 1 page. The difference between the two ways is that the right side page count is placed on the line where the count would end. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with font size (at least in the .17 firmware), unless this is another change made in the 2.0 firmware if so I stand corrected and would then again be glad I downgraded...
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Page numbering has not changed. But the reason you sometimes get the same number at the bottom of the page is because the number of page turns is not the same as the page numbers. For example, recently I read a book that required 2800 page turns. It only had 700 or so actual pages. I misspoke earlier and should have differentiated between page numbers and page turns.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Ahh yes, definately font size would affect page turns.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote