Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
andsoitgoes
andsoitgoes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Wait, no "Search" option for Kobo iPad/iPhone app?!

So simple subject really, say it ain't so that I cannot search within the text of a book on my iPad or iPhone.

What the tornados?!

How is this not an option? Damn, I love reading life and I WANT to be able to utilize that, but thanks to this not being an option I will have to abandon the Kobo app.

I only saw maybe one thread about this, maybe it's talked about more. Can anyone shed more light on the insanity of this?
andsoitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Repost from this thread

Search Library for a book, and search text inside a book are both things we would like to implement. The former is somewhat less complicated to develop, the latter however is rather complex.

One of the big reasons is that we would need to use a custom webkit, as the one supplied by Apple does not provide search capabilities for HTML. If we did add this then we would still need to load each chapter to search it, which would be slow, therefore we would want to create a search index for a book, and that adds another level of complexity to things.

In addition, a custom webkit adds quite a bit of size to an application, and with Apple
s previous 20MB limit for app downloads over a cellular data connection, it would have taken the app over that size. Now the limit is 50MB, it does leave some room.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert