Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2011, 01:12 PM   #406
nick2011
nick2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX+Likebook Mars T80D
Owner of a Kindle DXi and planning to buy a Kindle 4, but lacking a Kindle 3 and very interested in the possibiliy to read .pdf more easily (especially bright ones) I would be greatful to anyone who could help with the necessary files...

Thank you!
nick2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #407
Qxr
Enthusiast
Qxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it isQxr knows what time it is

Device: lbook V3, iRex DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
But none thus far has applied the 3.3 update.
I've tried using a v3.3 Kindle Wi-Fi with no success: it does not recognize the update_k3w-3.1-create_updater.bin as an update.
Qxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #408
mr_clark
mr_clark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Discovered a weird issue with the latest update on my Kindle DX. I usually sort my books by most recent. However, if I open a book say on the 3rd page of my listings and start reading it, it doesn't go to the first page. It seems to end up on one of the last pages. Kind of frustrating. Is this a known issue? Is there a fix for this?
mr_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 PM   #409
mr_clark
mr_clark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Never mind. Google is my friend. My time wasn't synced properly. it's working great now.
mr_clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #410
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Own a DXi...would appreciate a link to the needed files. Thanks.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 11:14 PM   #411
Cephas Borg
Speed Reader
Cephas Borg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
G'day all,

I'm really excited to see the FW 3.x features may be available on the old trusty DXG, especially the PDF update! Looks like this was a sage well worth following through.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a K3 to build the new firmware. I have run the prepare_client and backed up that file though.

Could anyone help with access to the required files? It would be very much appreciated!
Cephas Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #412
smorvan
smorvan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hello,

I would like to upgrade my DXi (white one, serial is B005) to 3.1, but do not have access to a K3... Any help appreciated.

Thanks for the work, Amazon should be ashamed.
smorvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #413
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
There is a torrent on the internet with prepared kindle 3 update. Just google for "Kindle 3.2.1 software for Kindle 2 and Kindle DX "
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #414
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Amazon may have used version 2 firmware on the DXG (which uses mostly version 3 hardware) due to RAM limitations.

The kindle DX and DXG have only half the RAM of a kindle 3, and there is no swap space, so running out of RAM could cause linux to kill some processes that may lead to a slow down or crash, depending on what applications are in use (like reading a PDF with large images while listening to an MP3)...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-23-2011 at 02:09 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #415
smorvan
smorvan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Understood, but as it is I use Duokan, with all its quirks and with no wireless connection - so much for the Kindle experience...

I would rather have a mildly unstable linux or rather than an unfinished piece of software.

Update: Got it to work juste fine. Make sure you have enough room (around 900 Mb) free on your kindle to store the temporary backup file. pdf support is vasty improved and on a par with Duokan IMHO, but I know have the Oxford dictionary working + somewhat decent internet for my rss feeds.

Last edited by smorvan; 11-24-2011 at 05:30 AM.
smorvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #416
lgvenable
JBL Pro/Kindle Enthusiast
lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX at 3.2.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets00 View Post
There is a torrent on the internet with prepared kindle 3 update. Just google for "Kindle 3.2.1 software for Kindle 2 and Kindle DX "
Is there also the reverse? a return to 2.5.8?

I'm having issues with battery run down on 3.2; and I've had wifi 3g turned off to conserve power. I hate to leave the darn thing plugged in, but thats what I'm doing, and to answer that ago old question..

my copy of the original chundered with lots of data on a backup disk...
lgvenable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #417
lgvenable
JBL Pro/Kindle Enthusiast
lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lgvenable has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX at 3.2.1
Cephas
Any chance I can get a copy of your file so I can restore my DXG graphite to as received shape if needed?
Larry
lgvenable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #418
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Windows XP
Hi, I'm getting DXG and returning Keyboard 3G that already has firmware 3.3 installed.

Couldn't resist the temptation. Is it OK to use the updater 3.1 process on DXG 2.5.8 client and Keyboard 3G 3.3 host?

Thanks.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #419
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgvenable View Post
Is there also the reverse? a return to 2.5.8?

I'm having issues with battery run down on 3.2; and I've had wifi 3g turned off to conserve power. I hate to leave the darn thing plugged in, but thats what I'm doing, and to answer that ago old question..

my copy of the original chundered with lots of data on a backup disk...
Yes. Use the update_restore-os.bin that was on your kindle DXG after installing the 3.2.1 firmware. Hope you saved it. If not i am pretty sure somebody around here might help you.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #420
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I'm sure most of you know this already, but I just decided to update my Kindle DX from 3.2.1 to 3.3. If you're running that package found on bay of pirates, all you have to do is download the 3.3 update for any Kindle 3. I'm using the Kindle 3 Wifi+3G update, so the filenames may differ. Use Kindle_update_tool.py to extract Update_kindle_3.3_B006.bin and decompress it. You'll now find "Update_525120101-611680021.bin". Use the update tool to extract that and decompress it. Now you'll have a bunch of files. Go into the "06" folder and find "update-06-576290015-611680021.bin". Open that in a hex editor and go to offset 0xC. Change it to 0x02 for K2, 0x03 for K2i, 0x04 for DX, 0x05 for DXi, and 0x09 for DXG. Now copy that update to your Kindle and run it. You might get an error and it's ok because some of the modem files may be different, but your Kindle will be updated regardless. Someone can make a "premade" package of 3.3 updates, but I don't have the time.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote