Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
Bookish_
Bookish_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Just wondering whether the sketch function would work with a stylus suitable for touchpads? I'm thinking of getting a kobo touch for uni, and the sketch function would be very useful for saving lecture notes!
Bookish_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #17
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Don't know if you've played with it yet, but the sketch application is very Beta/experimental so it's probably not going to work for what you're looking for. Not sure if a stylus would work, but it should since it's an IR sensor (tip might be too small??).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #18
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookish_ View Post
Just wondering whether the sketch function would work with a stylus suitable for touchpads? I'm thinking of getting a kobo touch for uni, and the sketch function would be very useful for saving lecture notes!
It would probably be be worth your while to take your notes in a book. This feature is more of a gimmick than anything useful.

Feel free to prove me wrong though!
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 AM   #19
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Don't know if you've played with it yet, but the sketch application is very Beta/experimental so it's probably not going to work for what you're looking for. Not sure if a stylus would work, but it should since it's an IR sensor (tip might be too small??).
I tried using a nintendo DS stylus and it didn't work. I've found a cotton bud works quite well.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Png is similar to gif, except it supports more colors and partial transparency.
PNG-8 is a lot like gif, it uses a max of 256 indexed colors / greyscales and is better for text and simple graphics; you can limit the set of colours to those actually in use and a pixel can be either opaque or transparent.

PNG-24 is more like jpg, using true color and compression by merging areas of similar color etc. Simplified you could say, that it saves "Rectangle of 4x4 Pixels in Red" instead of:
1 pixel Red - 1 pixel Red - 1 pixel Red - 1 pixel Red
The more you compress, the more similar colors become substituted by just "red" - thus the blocking and the reduction of colour-variety.
As oppposed to jpg in a PNG-24 alpha-transparency is possible, so a pixel can be "X% transparent" to the pixel beneath.

For the kind of sketches that can be made with this, it does not really make a big difference what is used though I would agree, that greyscale gif or png-8 would suffice....
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
Rockin
Enthusiast
Rockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura aboutRockin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
PNG-24 is more like jpg, using true color and compression by merging areas of similar color etc.
I believe PNG is lossless. JPG is lossy and will do what you state. Smaller files in PNG would come from software working harder to compress since no info is tossed away.
Rockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #22
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Biggest problem with sketch is they don't go into their own folder so they are easily found when you have many books in you library.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
I believe PNG is lossless. JPG is lossy and will do what you state. Smaller files in PNG would come from software working harder to compress since no info is tossed away.
PNG just uses better algorithms, but you can not compress without discarding some kind of information. Anyway I meant that PNG-24 is more like jpg in that it uses true color and is fit best for complex images like photos. PNG-24 won't let you compress it further when loss of information becomes visible to the human eye.

But then, my "expertise" on this comes from the eye of a designer, not a programmer
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #24
Sharkey
Sharkey began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
PNG just uses better algorithms, but you can not compress without discarding some kind of information. Anyway I meant that PNG-24 is more like jpg in that it uses true color and is fit best for complex images like photos. PNG-24 won't let you compress it further when loss of information becomes visible to the human eye.

But then, my "expertise" on this comes from the eye of a designer, not a programmer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics

PNG is lossless. Lossless compression works by removing redundant information from a source. Lossy compression works by removing redundant as well as some necessary information. The trick for lossy compression is ensuring the compression only removes the less-than-essential information.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote