Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Kindle for iPhone now available in 60+ countries

Quote:
SEATTLE, Dec 14, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) today announced that Kindle for iPhone App for iPhone and iPod touch is now available from the Apple App Store in more than 60 additional countries. The Kindle for iPhone App features Amazon's Whispersync technology that saves and synchronizes a customer's bookmarks across their Kindle devices and Kindle cross-platform applications, which include Kindle for iPhone and iPod touch, Kindle for PC, and in the coming months, Kindle for Mac and Kindle for Blackberry. Kindle customers can read a few pages on their Kindle, a few more pages on their Kindle-compatible device such as an iPhone and never lose their place.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....306&highlight=

You're probably wondering what took Amazon so long. After all, the Kindle PC Reader and the international Kindle both came out in October. But it's not Amazon's fault. The problem is with Apple, and how Apple allows apps to be made and distributed for the iPhone. With most any other OS (Windows, Linux, Maemo, Symbian, Android, Windows Mobile, DOS*), the reader software would be available everywhere you could download the day it's released. Not so with Apple.

The funny part about this announcement is that the app has been accessible since forever. All you needed to do to get it was set up an App Store account with a US address.

* There is something seriously wrong when a system doesn't compare well with DOS.

Last edited by Nate the great; 12-15-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Android me please.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I don't think so. If developers are able to make their software available for special prices on specific dates, I doubt that amazon submitted the program and it took AGES for Apple to approve.
Also, Amazon is not just another fart-app developer, they have enough weight to get their apps through when they want it.

Please, tell us more about your stories.

I mean it, even if it sounds weird when I say it like that
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I don't think so. If developers are able to make their software available for special prices on specific dates, I doubt that amazon submitted the program and it took AGES for Apple to approve.
Also, Amazon is not just another fart-app developer, they have enough weight to get their apps through when they want it.

Please, tell us more about your stories.

I mean it, even if it sounds weird when I say it like that
You really should do some Googling on Apple's approval process. Apparently you're going to be surprised. Also, just the fact they have an approval process is absurd, not to mention the fact that the only legit way to get an app onto the iPhone is through the App Store.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

I'll do that, since I keep hearing things about it and have no idea how it works.

Then again, you might want to check the numbers of sales through iTunes with those on the other mobile platforms. You might also want to know that various other companies have started similar music/app stores (Nokia and SonyEricsson, for example).

Yes, I know this is the classic starting point for a religious my-OS-is-better-than-yours battle, which I do not wish to kindle (heh heh ). But it seems to me you hold a special grudge against all things Apple, so I need to ask you: where do you read about the international kindle app being held in the approval process for months?
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I'll do that, since I keep hearing things about it and have no idea how it works.

Then again, you might want to check the numbers of sales through iTunes with those on the other mobile platforms. You might also want to know that various other companies have started similar music/app stores (Nokia and SonyEricsson, for example).

Yes, I know this is the classic starting point for a religious my-OS-is-better-than-yours battle, which I do not wish to kindle (heh heh ). But it seems to me you hold a special grudge against all things Apple, so I need to ask you: where do you read about the international kindle app being held in the approval process for months?
Just because a number of companies are copying the idea does not make it a good one. I haven't checked those other stores, so I won't comment on them. But I will say that my objection to the Apple's App Store is due to how Apple runs its business. I call it the "leash up my arse" business method.

BTW, Palm also has an App store for the Pre.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Appstore has issues, but really you can't lay the blame at their feet because they didn't handle the absurd regional restrictions required by publishers and Amazon to a strict enough standard. There aren't many apps that require strict regional restrictions like this Kindle app.

People get around regional restrictions using a number of methods on the iPhone or the Kindle. Publishers just need to hurry up and work out international licensing for ebooks which gives the appropriate money to regional publishers. It shouldn't be hard, just track the IP when the purchase is made and if it's in Australia, then the Australian region distributor/publisher gets their cut.

I'll ignore the upcoming OS battle other than saying the Apple appstore is obviously far beyond the palm pre appstore in terms of market share and number of apps, Windows 7 is not terrible (in fact it's actually good!), and I love my Macbook Pro most of all.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Appstore has issues, but really you can't lay the blame at their feet because they didn't handle the absurd regional restrictions required by publishers and Amazon to a strict enough standard. There aren't many apps that require strict regional restrictions like this Kindle app.
I would disagree. With any other OS all a developer would need to do would be to post the installer file on their website. The user would then download it, copy it to their device, and then run it. With Apple there are a significant number of hoops to jump through first (both for the developer and the user).
Old 12-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #9
mores
Guru

If you don't want to get your app into the iTunes store, just write the app for jailbroken phones. There's enough out there, and no hassles with Apple.

If you wish to use the distribution channel that iTS offers, though, you must abide by some rules. I guess those need to be optimized in some cases.

What hoops does a user have to jump through? App store in the iPhone, find the app, buy/download it, done.

I don't even have to know if I have an ARM chip in my device, or of it's PPC2k or just PPC or WM6 or whatever the mobile OS is called at the moment. Can't get any easier than that.