Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
How long....

...do you think it will be before I can buy an eink display reader that can download new books (like any of the fictionwise formats) for a price of $200.00? Is this years away or will the Astak or somebody else actually do this?
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfeifle View Post
...do you think it will be before I can buy an eink display reader that can download new books (like any of the fictionwise formats) for a price of $200.00? Is this years away or will the Astak or somebody else actually do this?
I would predict that buy Christmas 2010 the Kindle will be close to $200 based on economys of scale and technical advancements. Look at CD players, and DVD players. They followed the same basic path.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just to add to my predition, look at what OLPC foundation is saying they expect to have out by 2010 for $75.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...607#post186607
Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfeifle View Post
It isn't years away. Amazon could almost certainly sell the Kindle for $250 today and make a profit. I would not be surprised to see FictionWise sell an E-Ink device for (say) $250 this year with a $50 credit towards eReader ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
kpfeifle
Enthusiast
kpfeifle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300- Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
I would not be surprised to see FictionWise sell an E-Ink device for (say) $250 this year with a $50 credit towards eReader ebooks.
I would jump on that if it were true! I guess time will tell.
kpfeifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Just to add to my predition, look at what OLPC foundation is saying they expect to have out by 2010 for $75.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...607#post186607

Gosh durn! And OLPC predicted they'd be selling the original versions for $99 - two to three years ago. So the idea they'll make their self-imposed deadline, price and power consumption by 2010 is, in my opinion, pure hyperbole.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Gosh durn! And OLPC predicted they'd be selling the original versions for $99 - two to three years ago. So the idea they'll make their self-imposed deadline, price and power consumption by 2010 is, in my opinion, pure hyperbole.

Derek
So what? They sell them for $189. So what if this device comes in at $75x2 it would still be pretty compelling price.

BOb
Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
PRS-500 refurbished is sold by Sony for $150.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665262812

Edit: my bad, it's out of stock.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Crutchfield lists them in their outlet for $251.99 and scratch and dent for $237.99.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ry0J05m...&search=PRS500

No idea if they are in stock. But, why buy a 500 for $250 when you can get a 505 from Walmart for $268?

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...Reader&ic=48_0

BOb
Old 05-30-2008, 12:43 AM   #10
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
I've seen new (not refurbished) Sony PRS500's at Costco for $129.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It isn't years away. Amazon could almost certainly sell the Kindle for $250 today and make a profit. I would not be surprised to see FictionWise sell an E-Ink device for (say) $250 this year with a $50 credit towards eReader ebooks.
I think they could do that and be ahead on the hardware cost but they have a lot of R&D to recoup.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I would get a Kindle for my wife it weren't do darn ugly (even if it was cheap!)
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I would get a Kindle for my wife it weren't do darn ugly (even if it was cheap!)
Get a silicon skin for it to improve its looks. You can pick from lots of colors.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think it's ugly at all. It is a bit bigger than the Sony because of the keyboard at the bottom. And I've have preferred a darker plastic case instead of the off-white one they used. That's not because the light one is ugly -- but because it emphasizes the grey-ish background color in the eInk display by providing so much contrast. With a light-grey color case, the eInk background would blend into the case. With a dark color, the eInk display would look positively bright.

If I were designing the next generation, I'd make the "next page" button on the right side smaller. But the ergonomics of having the buttons on the edge instead of on the face of the unit make it extremely easy to hold and use the Kindle.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #15
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Hehe I didn't mean to turn the thread into a discussion about Kindle design. I've seen it, I've played with it, I don't like it. It's just my opinion. But at 20,000 pennies I could see myself buying it...for my wife.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote