Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post

Someone mentioned that the recommendations disappear if you remove store access via parental controls.
That is a VERY good tip. I have, indeed, seen that and done that.
It's a bit inconvenient (you have to turn off parental controls to access the store, at this point...). But it's better than having a third of the home screen wasted in ads.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykhe View Post
To answer myself, yes, there are definitely upscaling issues with the new resolution.

Here a closeup comparsion of a "b" from jswindens example (left PW, right KT).
Note the far higher amount of grayscale pixels on the PW. With the KT you have far more "hard" edges, which makes the font appear sharper.
Wow, that does explain a lot.
Thanks!!!
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
vxf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex11 View Post
This e-reader seems very innovative, but in a sense it is the first of a new generation of e-readers. Assuming others can duplicate the tech, other vendors will offer the improvements mentioned.
But isn't that too kind on Amazon?
I mean, this technology has existed for years. SONY tried exactly the same thing half-a-decade ago with the 700s - and it had the same problems, albeit to a different scale. The Nook sold that 'glow' a year ago.

Nothing here is new.

The touch screen change is a step back (infrared at least didn't pick up so many fingerprints). TTS is gone.

This is not an innovative ebook reader.
It's a marginal improvement on what was out there.

Still, in many ways the best option out there. But not a trailblazer in any way.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Well here is a comparison of the full size images scaled up 15x to show individual pixels. The PW sample is on top the Touch example is on bottom. In actuality the resolutions are different so the PW pixels really are somewhat smaller than the Touch pixels, but I show them here the same size so I don't have to scale anything.

PW looks a lot better IMO. Clearly better as a matter of fact.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I use personalized gestures all the time in Firefox. How difficult can it be to implement this feature on the PW?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
1/ slider for book navigation. It's 2012, why are we still stuck with typing in location and page number. We have a slider for the light. What's the touch screen for? See iBooks and numerous similar apps.

Also, I don't see a gesture for next prev chapter in the manual. I thought sliding up and down, but no.
I don't own a PW, but I particularly agree with this point. Not being able to easily "flip through the pages" of an ebook is definitely one of the most annoying things with reading ebooks, and the fact that they haven't implemented a slider in a touch device is ridiculous.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
I don't own a PW, but I particularly agree with this point. Not being able to easily "flip through the pages" of an ebook is definitely one of the most annoying things with reading ebooks, and the fact that they haven't implemented a slider in a touch device is ridiculous.
Does it not have chapter jump navigation like the other Kindles?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The Touch jumped by using vertical swipes--up for previous chapter and down for next chapter. Vertical swipes also worked on the Home screen on the Touch. For some reason the PW does not allow vertical swipes. I don't know if there is another shortcut for chapter jumping.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
As Jack said, they did away with it in the PW. I haven't seen anyone mention another shortcut. You have to do it the long way by bringing up the menu bar and choosing "Go To" and the chapters come up there and you can choose which chapter to select that way.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #25
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
I have no idea since I don't own one. I was just referring to the OP mentioning that there's no slider, which I feel should be included in any touchscreen reading device/app.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
As Jack said, they did away with it in the PW. I haven't seen anyone mention another shortcut. You have to do it the long way by bringing up the menu bar and choosing "Go To" and the chapters come up there and you can choose which chapter to select that way.
Have you tried tapping at the bottom or top? Someone at the Amazon forum says it works for them. Remember this is Amazon forum so who knows if they are telling the truth.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Have you tried tapping at the bottom or top? Someone at the Amazon forum says it works for them. Remember this is Amazon forum so who knows if they are telling the truth.
No, they were probably making up stuff over there.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No, they were probably making up stuff over there.
Probably but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Probably but I thought it was worth mentioning.
The was directed at the bozos on the Amazon forum, BTW.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The was directed at the bozos on the Amazon forum, BTW.
I knew that. The forum can be a fun place to hang out.