Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
sigizmund
sigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook && Android
Arrow Fanfiction -> EPUB downloader

Hi all,

For those of you who love fanfiction, I've created a tool, which allows to download fanfics from multiple websites and pack them either as HTML or EPUB. Latter can be deployed to any epub-friendly device/software, while former is clean and standard-friendly HTML which can be converted virtually to anything else.

Currently we support:
  1. http://fanfiction.net
  2. http://www.fanficauthors.net
  3. http://www.ficwad.com/

http://fictionalley.org is sort of supported, but not quite there yet. As I said, output formats are epub and HTML. You can even authorize in order to download the stories which require an authorization.

You can find the tool at: http://fanfictionloader.appspot.com

Please send me any bugs/problems you may encounter using this service.

Thanks,
Roman

P.S. surely it's totally free and will remain this way in foreseeable future!
sigizmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Nice. I like that it's a web app and I don't have to install anything.

I'll have to give it a shot once we're past Christmas; things are pretty chaotic this next week.

Any plans to add fictionpress.com to the support? Of the fanfic I read, about half seems to come from there.

Thanks for your work.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
sigizmund
sigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheesesigizmund can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
Nice. I like that it's a web app and I don't have to install anything.

I'll have to give it a shot once we're past Christmas; things are pretty chaotic this next week.

Any plans to add fictionpress.com to the support? Of the fanfic I read, about half seems to come from there.

Thanks for your work.
Hi there - glad you like it! W.r.t the fictionpress.com — to me it looks dead similar to fanfiction.net so don't think I'll have any problem with that one. Will keep this topic updated.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
sigizmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
http://fictionpress.com was added and now is supported fully.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #5
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Thanks for adding that. I'll give it a try.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Thanks. At last I can download stories from FictionPress!

EDIT: Some doesn't get downloaded properly, for example: http://www.fictionpress.com/s/1930071/1/Drakens_Empire

Last edited by owl123; 12-19-2009 at 12:43 PM.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #7
sigizmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
Thanks. At last I can download stories from FictionPress!

EDIT: Some doesn't get downloaded properly, for example: http://www.fictionpress.com/s/1930071/1/Drakens_Empire

Thanks for addressing it! Will fix this problem asap.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Pol
Pol began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600SC
Oh my GOSH!!! This is simply awesome! Thank you. I have gigabytes of fanfic that I've read (hmm, and written) that have a home on my PDA, but am now facing conversion to my ebook. This is terrific. Mind if I share the link with a few (hundred) friends?
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:38 AM   #9
sigizmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Oh my GOSH!!! This is simply awesome! Thank you. I have gigabytes of fanfic that I've read (hmm, and written) that have a home on my PDA, but am now facing conversion to my ebook. This is terrific. Mind if I share the link with a few (hundred) friends?
Hey, I'm glad you like it — so you can, may and should share it with whoever you please! Any bugreports will also be appreciated, as it is still beta.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
Pol
Pol began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600SC
So, I've found one odd error. In attempting to use your option to collect the file as an html file I've encountered this. When the file is on my desktop (Mac OS 10.6.2), I unzip the file and then try to drop the html file into Word (so I can flip the fonts to a serif font). I get the following error:

--
The XML file annot be opened because there is no available data view (XLST).

Details:
Unspecified error

--

I have tried opening Word and importing the html file that way, I've tried dragging the html file to the Word icon. Even saving the file with a new name (opening in browser and saving again), doesn't work.

Just an FYI.

Last edited by Pol; 01-02-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
sigizmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
So, I've found one odd error. In attempting to use your option to collect the file as an html file I've encountered this. When the file is on my desktop (Mac OS 10.6.2), I unzip the file and then try to drop the html file into Word (so I can flip the fonts to a serif font). I get the following error:

--
The XML file annot be opened because there is no available data view (XLST).

Details:
Unspecified error

--

I have tried opening Word and importing the html file that way, I've tried dragging the html file to the Word icon. Even saving the file with a new name (opening in browser and saving again), doesn't work.

Just an FYI.
Indeed very odd. I was able to reproduce it, Word indeed doesn't like this file. However, when I open it in TextEdit it opens it fine, allows to change a font and save it back, so try this. I believe this is Word's problem as even after passing the document through tidy Word still doesn't like it. Use TextEdit workaround for a time being, I'll try to figure it out in the meantime.

Thanks for report!

R
Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
FFreader920
FFreader920 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nook STR w Glowlight
fanfiction.net code update

Hello -- I'm wondering if this tool works with the new fanfiction.net update? Other downloader tools have recently had to make minor changes based on this? I just got a nook so most interested in epub format. Thank you.

Last edited by FFreader920; 06-15-2010 at 04:54 PM. Reason: additional text
FFreader920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFreader920 View Post
Hello -- I'm wondering if this tool works with the new fanfiction.net update? Other downloader tools have recently had to make minor changes based on this? I just got a nook so most interested in epub format. Thank you.
I don't use this program, so I can't answer that question. I use Graffer to download in HTML to read on my Pocketbook360. The Nook obviously doesn't support HTML, but you could convert the HTML to EPUB with Calibre if your current program isn't working. A bit of a pain for the conversion step, but it's better than nothing.

Good luck!
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #14
sigizmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFreader920 View Post
Yes, I've released the fix which supports changed FF.net (as well as improves reliability in general).
Old 06-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
FFreader920
FFreader920 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nook STR w Glowlight

To IndecisiveMe: set up Calibre and working -- thank you!

To: sigizmund: Whoah! Works perfectly. Thank you so much!!
FFreader920 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, epub, fanfiction, html