Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #1
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Plastic Logic Reader Name and Date

Plastic Logic is finally giving their long-hyped reader an identity and most importantly, a firm date for release of concrete specifications.

I heard of this by way of Engadget, but Plastic Logic also has a site dedicated to what will be called the QUE. They will have a site dedicated to delivering content to the QUE which will be "powered" by Barnes & Noble's store.

Basically it's everything we've already known, except now we also know it is black, and it's called a "proReader" to emphasize the target market of professionals. I am distinctly in this market with regards to eReaders so I'm pretty excited.

I can't wait to learn more, especially a price. At least January 7, 2010 isn't very far away.

Last edited by zacheryjensen; 10-19-2009 at 01:26 AM.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
The size certainly seems to be perfect for pdf's but the fact they missed the holidays makes me think the price will not be in the general consumer range. Not to mention they've been playing up the business angle from the beginning.
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
January 7, 2010 is when we find out about the QUE, not when it's available.

Quote:
Full product specifications, availability and pricing of QUE will be announced on January 7, 2010 at CES.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy_dunlop View Post
The size certainly seems to be perfect for pdf's but the fact they missed the holidays makes me think the price will not be in the general consumer range. Not to mention they've been playing up the business angle from the beginning.
They have been very tight lipped on pricing. Which leads me to believe one of two things. Either 1) they have been or still are working on a subsidy program of some kind or 2) The price will be high, probably the same or higher than Amazon's Kindle DX.

I'd still pay the price of a DX or slightly more for what's on offer here. I read so many PDF's that do not translate to much smaller than a 10" screen.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
zacheryjensen
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
January 7, 2010 is when we find out about the QUE, not when it's available.
You're right! My mistake. I better edit...
Old 10-19-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I figure I can easily wait until January to find out. Then if I want to get a larger screen reader, I can decide which one I want and save up for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 AM   #7
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I figure I can easily wait until January to find out. Then if I want to get a larger screen reader, I can decide which one I want and save up for it.

I'm thinking I'm with you. Get a Sony Touch (or Daily, still not sure if I want to spring another 100 bucks for a sl. larger form factor and the WiFi) for Christmas. Then keep my ear to the ground to see if I want to upgrade.

The adjective "business" would seem to roughly translate "expensive".
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Que? QUE?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Que? QUE?
I'm sorry, could you speak up?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Am I getting crazy or press releases are?

Quote:
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA – OCTOBER 19, 2009 – Plastic Logic revealed today its plans to unveil QUETM, the first proReader designed for business professionals. Premiering January 7, 2010 <snip>
(Bold is mine)

Press release announcing plans for future announcements? Not even availability?
Well I guess it is keeping it with Plastic Logic modus operandi.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I wonder if it's pronounced like CLUE or like the spanish word for 'What'.

And why do the photos without the hand look like it has a massive hump, like an extended battery? Angled perspective shot or nuttiness with photoshop?

Though this is for business, I seriously doubt it will cost much more than the DX, which should be of comparable size and pixel density. I seriously doubt it will have expandable storage and a removable battery and it's still unknown how the touchscreen will affect the e-ink contrast.

Last edited by badbob001; 10-19-2009 at 09:50 AM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
I'm with you Abecedary. QUE? Really? And what's the deal with all the images in the PR? They're all from the side. They might as well of shown us pictures of a rhinoceros eating gummy bears for all the good those are.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Take a look at this photo on the Plastic Logic website. I think they need to hire a photographer.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think they are going for the "stealth" angle.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #15
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie

It looks like they updated their formats too. It's now got B&N's format on the list, along with Visio, whatever that is

• PDF
• GIF
• RTF
• Visio
• eReader DRM
• eReader Format

• JPEG
• PNG
• HTML
• BMP
• ePub

As well as text and all printable formats: