Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Fictionwise eReader available at iPhone App Store

The FictionWise link is http://www.ereader.com/iphone/.

I can't download it yet, since the 2.0 firmware isn't out for my first gen iPhone, but the App Store is open now in iTunes 7.7, and a quick browse through the entertainment category turned up eReader.

[After you install iTunes 7.7, open preferences, go to the General tab, and check the box to display "Applications". Then you can view Applications...which will be empty, since you don't have any yet, and click on the "Get More Applications" in the lower right corner.]

The reader itself is free. From the description, it appears that you download the books to the iPhone directly within the eReader app...I'm curious how you get books that you buy from someplace other than FictionWise onto the phone.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When I do a "check for updates" from iTunes at the moment, I get "The iTunes update server could not be contacted. Please try again later". Guess it must be busy at the moment!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I have an unlocked iPhone, so I'm (semi) patiently waiting for the 2.0 upgrade that won't brick my phone
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just tried again and now it's telling me that my version of iTunes (7.6.2) is the current version. Where did you get 7.7 from?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
zenli
zenli doesn't litterzenli doesn't litterzenli doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten E, iPod Touch, Sony 300, Sony 600
Instead of updating iTunes, I directly downloaded 7.7 from Apple.com, and installed it over my 7.6.2. Works fine so far.

Here is the link:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

I've never used eReader before. Can I get eReader to open a txt file or pdb file without using eReader Studio to first convert them into eReader format?
zenli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks! I think I'll wait for it to arrive via the update. I'm always a little wary about installing any "x.x.0" version, because it's inevitably followed by "x.x.1" in a few days .
Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0 View Post
The FictionWise link is http://www.ereader.com/iphone/.

I can't download it yet, since the 2.0 firmware isn't out for my first gen iPhone, but the App Store is open now in iTunes 7.7, and a quick browse through the entertainment category turned up eReader.

[After you install iTunes 7.7, open preferences, go to the General tab, and check the box to display "Applications". Then you can view Applications...which will be empty, since you don't have any yet, and click on the "Get More Applications" in the lower right corner.]

The reader itself is free. From the description, it appears that you download the books to the iPhone directly within the eReader app...I'm curious how you get books that you buy from someplace other than FictionWise onto the phone.
The firmware for the original iPhone is already out: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/07/10/get-y...ware-on-early/
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Do you know if it's due for the Touch at the same time as the iPhone?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Adlopa
Adlopa began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T¦T2
1. Try this link in this post for the advance 2.0 firmware download

2. Does anyone know what the deal is with FictionWise & eReader? I have a FictionWise account and I was hoping I could log into eReader with my details to grab my purchased eBooks, but I can't. So at the moment, I have a FictionWise-produced ebook reader on my iPhone that I can't use to read FictionWise ebooks. Anyone got any ideas..?

Edit: eReader for iPhone does support FictionWise logins - see below!

Last edited by Adlopa; 07-10-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Adlopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Probably best to ask Fictionwise themselves. They're normally very helpful with support questions.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Adlopa
Adlopa began at the beginning.

Device: Palm T¦T2
Already emailed them - I'll post if/when they reply. Just to clarify for other folks:

The iPhone can't download anything, so you can't log into FictionWise to download books for opening in eReader, nor can you synv them via iTunes. The eReader app does let you log into the eReader site to obtain books, but this obviously isn't any use if you're a FictionWise user.

I'm a little miffed at not realising this before I upgraded as the ebook reader app for jailbroken iPhones worked really well...

Update: The readme suggests that eReader will work with FictionWise, but it actually doesn't...

Last edited by Adlopa; 07-10-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Adlopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlopa View Post
1. Try this link in this post

2. Does anyone know what the deal is with FictionWise & eReader? I have a FictionWise account and I was hoping I could log into eReader with my details to grab my purchased eBooks, but I can't. So at the moment, I have a FictionWise-produced ebook reader on my iPhone that I can't use to read FictionWise ebooks. Anyone got any ideas..?
Fictionwise and eReader are two different sites. I have seperate logins for each of them. Although I think you can now buy the eReader format from the fictionwise store.

Also, if you bought secure books from Fictionwise in a format other than eReader, you can't just get the eReader format. You have to pay for each format seperately.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenli View Post
I've never used eReader before. Can I get eReader to open a txt file or pdb file without using eReader Studio to first convert them into eReader format?
eReader, on PalmOS at least, understands Palm DOC files and "Peanut Press" files. (Peanut Press was an early ebook publisher targeting Palm users which became eReader though mergers and acquisitions, and the earliest versions of the reader were called "Peanut Reader". They created a markup language called PML, and eReader texts are in PML format. PML supports text attributes, color, embedded images and hyperlinks.)

Palm DOC files are plain text files compressed to save space in memory, and are decompressed by the reader on the fly as the document is viewed. (The format was developed back when a Palm device might have two whole megabytes of memory and no expansion cards, which had to hold Palm OS and the programs installed as well as any data.)

eReader on Palm devices does not handle standard ASCII text files. Palm OS only permits files in Palm Database format in memory.

I don't know if the iPhone port handles Palm DOC files, though it may.

You can find a number of public domain and Creative Commons licensed documents in eReader format at Memoware.

Amusingly, the eReader site elsewhere says this:
"eReader Software for iPhones and Blackberries
Ereader software does not work on iPhones or Blackberry devices at this time. We understand that our users are very interested in those platforms and we are currently investigating supporting both devices. Please sign up for our newsletters in order to receive updates on the eReader software.[/b]

One assumes they will mention the new version at some point...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #14
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Fictionwise and eReader are two different sites. I have seperate logins for each of them. Although I think you can now buy the eReader format from the fictionwise store.
You always could, though whether a particular title was available in eReader format was another matter. What has changed is that Fictionwise acquired eReader, and got the eReader catalog in the process.
______
Dennis
Old 07-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #15
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you know if it's due for the Touch at the same time as the iPhone?
AFAIK, the 2.0 firmware upgrade is for the Touch as well as the iPhone, so one assumes so.
______
Dennis