Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #91
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
To Kobo users

I'm a Kindle 3 user and couldn't help but get exited after seeing Aura HD. Perhaps this is the upgrade I have been waiting for. My usage for Kindle 3 is mostly for reading web (1 specific forum) and school pdfs (using kindlepdfreader).

The thing is that I often use to browse this one forum (sometimes several hours a day) where net-books (I made up this word) are posted 1-3 chapters/day as a thread post and reading them on e-ink simply rocks compared to on a tablet device. The kindle has those page up/down buttons which I use while reading, therefore it usually feels almost like reading an ebook. Unfortunaly new Kindle devices seems to feature touch-scroll instead of one-touch up/down operations and thus made my decision to upgrade harder.

My questions would be:
Does kobo web browser has the ability to move 1 page as a time, unlike scrolling in paperwhite? If no, hackable or solution to implement this available?
Does web browser has bookmarks feature?
There seems to be kindlepdfreader for kobo, how does it work on the device when compared to Kindle Paperwhite?
Can Kobo download .rar/.zip manga files from internet and allow me to rename them on the device to cbr/zip to be viewed as a comic?

Thanks in advance
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Granted, my first Kobo was the Mini, but the only issue I've encountered is italics showing as bold in my preferred font. It's annoying, but nothing more.
Italics showing as bold is a major bug (IMHO). Italics mean different things in different books and coming out bold just spoils things.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #93
bmatt
Enthusiast
bmatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
This is pretty tempting, I am on my PRS-650 and having issues lately with battery life. I COULD just replace my battery I suppose, but I have been interested in the built in lights since they released a couple of years ago. I can't believe Sony has dropped the ball on implementing it in their new readers so far.

I have to say I've been happy with the PRS650 software and the build quality of the 650, though the newer Sony's don't seem as nice. I bought my wife a Kobo touch reader a couple of years ago and it seems fine, I don't like it as much as my Sony due to the lack of some features, but it was 1/3 the price too..

I am hoping Sony will pull it together this year with a light and maybe a better build quality. I may jump on this one instead though. I wish I could see the Kobo's locally though, I went to B&N and looked at their lighted reader and you can see a gap between the bezel and the edge of the eInk screen, which becomes VERY apparent when the light is on. I guess I'm just spoiled by the 650.
bmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #94
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
There is one thing I am worried about the Aura about what Serbinis said in an interview:

Quote:
Kobo CEO Michael Serbinis explained. As such, it's a limited edition offering, one not destined to replace the flagship Glo.
So the device won't have mainstream distribution?

What will the after product support be like?
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #95
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozzi View Post
I'm a Kindle 3 user and couldn't help but get exited after seeing Aura HD. Perhaps this is the upgrade I have been waiting for. My usage for Kindle 3 is mostly for reading web (1 specific forum) and school pdfs (using kindlepdfreader).
If your main activities are web browsing and reading pdfs then any e-ink reader is probably the wrong choice. I would get a tablet instead.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #96
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
My questions would be:
Does kobo web browser has the ability to move 1 page as a time, unlike scrolling in paperwhite?
not sure I understand: perhaps if you post a link to a book we could try it out - incidentally, as far as I know, you cannot put the browser in landscape mode

Quote:
Does web browser has bookmarks feature?
yes
Quote:
There seems to be kindlepdfreader for kobo, how does it work on the device when compared to Kindle Paperwhite?
on my Mini I have problems with offset, but others seem to be fine. There are still a couple of bugs in the port though (e.g. there is no way to exit the programme, you have to restart the device), but there is also another viewer which may be ported - perhaps you may want to ask in the Developer's forum.

Quote:
Can Kobo download .rar/.zip manga files from internet and allow me to rename them on the device to cbr/zip to be viewed as a comic?
You can download, but I am not sure you can rename - it may be possible using the hack by sergey, who has added a notepad among other things, and with that you should be able to navigate files that are not generally visible - the same applies to the kindle port, although I do not know whether besides seeing the file you would be able to rename it (but you could do it with a USB connection with a computer I guess, though of course this is not the same thing). Again, you may want to check the developer's forum (this thread)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #97
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Italics showing as bold is a major bug (IMHO). Italics mean different things in different books and coming out bold just spoils things.
Fortunately, there are seven other fonts to choose from where this doesn't occur.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #98
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Quote:
I have about 50 manga on my Kobo Glo.

The answer is yes, you can just rename the .rar/zip to cbr/zip on the PC and transfer them to the device.

Ensure the image files are in alphabetical order or else the page orders will be mixed up.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #99
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If the built-in fonts don't have the special chars you need it is trivial to just copy a set of fonts that do have them to the fonts directory. You have to use the correct Kobo naming convention, but that is also trivial. So no need to be a deal breaker
Thanks!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #100
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I love it. I have been waiting for a larger frontlit screen since switching from my PRS950 to a Paperwhite.
But no 3g, no deal for me. I seem to be in the minority here, but I love the convenience of 3g when travelling. And, for that price...
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #101
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I've never used a Kobo, but the Aura looks very interesting to me. Since I read many "fancy" epubs that rely heavily on embedded fonts and sophisticated page formatting, I'd like to know whether it's possible to not have Kobo's software interfere with the CSS at all but display exactly what's encoded there. My Onyx does that very nicely with the inbuilt "pdf-reader", but its other reading applications, Coolreader and FB-Reader, are subpar in that department (to put it nicely). So how about Kobo?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #102
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Was there a lack of diacritical support overall on the device, or did only the fonts mentioned not support diacritics? I have to say, the lack of diacritical support might be a deal breaker.
Diacritical support has improved but I found that Charis SIL gave me the best diacritical support and with JSWolf's modified version which has a slightly higher weight, the screen was easier to read in lower lighting. As you may have noticed, quite a few PC fonts look very light on the Kobo (Century Schoolbook is an example).

For me, the diacriticals became an issue with several science fiction/fantasy authors who liked using diacriticals in names so I was seeing names with blocks in them (blank blocks, blocks with x's, blocks with ?'s) and found them very annoying. Check David Weber's Bahzell series for a collection of names with macrons and carons.

The three fonts mentioned have an issue where a piece of text marked as italic would display as bold instead.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-16-2013 at 02:28 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #103
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I've never used a Kobo, but the Aura looks very interesting to me. Since I read many "fancy" epubs that rely heavily on embedded fonts and sophisticated page formatting, I'd like to know whether it's possible to not have Kobo's software interfere with the CSS at all but display exactly what's encoded there. My Onyx does that very nicely with the inbuilt "pdf-reader", but its other reading applications, Coolreader and FB-Reader, are subpar in that department (to put it nicely). So how about Kobo?
Oddly, there has been some criticism of the Kobo ereaders because they do attempt to follow the formatting of the ebook. Some people want a result as close to the publisher's vision while others want to see the ebooks as they prefer it to be formatted. Personally, I think most publishers have very little idea of what looks good on an ereader and use Sigil to modify ebooks to my taste.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #104
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Oddly, there has been some criticism of the Kobo ereaders because they do attempt to follow the formatting of the ebook. Some people want a result as close to the publisher's vision while others want to see the ebooks as they prefer it to be formatted. Personally, I think most publishers have very little idea of what looks good on an ereader and use Sigil to modify ebooks to my taste.

Regards,
David
Thank you.
This sounds encouraging. So Kobo readers do display your modifications correctly, am I getting this right? Because I modify virtually all of my ebooks in Sigil as well - and then there are the lovingly formatted uploads by others here at MR that I want to be displayed exactly as intended by the uploader. So Kobo does do that, yes?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #105
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
To Kobo users

Thanks in advance
Oh, no. KOBO web browsing is bad. DX > Sony T1/T2 > K3.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote