Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
No one here has bought the new nook tablets yet???

They are available are they not?? Waiting for some user reviews.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
They are available are they not?? Waiting for some user reviews.
Take a look at the B&N forum:
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...-p/NOOKCentral
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I put up a review of my HD+ here...
http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/review-...k-hd-9-tablet/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I was very tempted by them, but I won't buy one until I can add apps from outside the terrible selection in the B&N store. I ended up getting a cheap Tablet to replace my Color so I could have a decent Jellybean tablet.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
I was very tempted by them, but I won't buy one until I can add apps from outside the terrible selection in the B&N store. I ended up getting a cheap Tablet to replace my Color so I could have a decent Jellybean tablet.
You can do that now, with stock software. It requires sideloading the apps from your PC using adb. No rooting required.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
I bought the HD+ over the holiday, and I'm pretty much in love with it. The screen is fantastic, and at this point, there are only a couple of apps that I consider essential that I can't get without sideloading.

I will say that for straight reading, I do prefer the smaller screen of the 7" or the eInk models, but it's about the size of a large hardcover, so it's not exactly huge. Plus, I bought it primarily for media and internet browsing (it's my travel/holiday "computer"), so the fact that it's not my favorite reading device doesn't bother me much. I think it would be great for people who like to use larger font sizes, though.

The one thing I don't like is the speaker. As AnemicOak's review points out, it's really obvious where the speaker is when you're listening to it. I found that if I cupped my hand around the speaker to bring the sound back towards me it sounded a lot better, but that's a pain to do for long periods of time. But since I usually watch movies with headphones, it's not the end of the world.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to try and make sideloading work so I can use the rest of my Google apps, or if I'm going to just wait until the gurus over at XDA develop a dual-boot ROM for it, but in the meantime, I'm not starved for those apps. In fact I haven't used my CM10 Nook Color at all since I got the HD+.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
I bought the HD+ over the holiday, and I'm pretty much in love with it. The screen is fantastic, and at this point, there are only a couple of apps that I consider essential that I can't get without sideloading.

I will say that for straight reading, I do prefer the smaller screen of the 7" or the eInk models, but it's about the size of a large hardcover, so it's not exactly huge. Plus, I bought it primarily for media and internet browsing (it's my travel/holiday "computer"), so the fact that it's not my favorite reading device doesn't bother me much. I think it would be great for people who like to use larger font sizes, though.

The one thing I don't like is the speaker. As AnemicOak's review points out, it's really obvious where the speaker is when you're listening to it. I found that if I cupped my hand around the speaker to bring the sound back towards me it sounded a lot better, but that's a pain to do for long periods of time. But since I usually watch movies with headphones, it's not the end of the world.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to try and make sideloading work so I can use the rest of my Google apps, or if I'm going to just wait until the gurus over at XDA develop a dual-boot ROM for it, but in the meantime, I'm not starved for those apps. In fact I haven't used my CM10 Nook Color at all since I got the HD+.
This weeks 2.0.4 update improved speaker volume. If you are not running 2.0.4 yet, in the settings you find an option to update the software.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You can do that now, with stock software. It requires sideloading the apps from your PC using adb. No rooting required.
Is this a loophole they will close like the Nook Tablet or has B&N finally relaxed on this? If I can sideload with my PC without rooting I will definitely be picking up a Nook HD+.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aagstn View Post
Is this a loophole they will close like the Nook Tablet or has B&N finally relaxed on this? If I can sideload with my PC without rooting I will definitely be picking up a Nook HD+.
The ADB setting is mentioned on the official B&N developers website.So it is there on purpose. The setting is probably there to make it easier for developers to test apps on the Nook HD and HD+.

Of course installing ADB and setting it up for the Nook is probably not something the average user without any computer knowledge will be able to do.

See this link for all the information (from 4.2 on):
https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/en...start-up-guide
Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
This weeks 2.0.4 update improved speaker volume. If you are not running 2.0.4 yet, in the settings you find an option to update the software.
I'm up to date. It's not a volume issue, it's just the direction the sound projects; it's not something I can't live with, but it sounds really unbalanced to me. Maybe my Color does too; I've never actually used sound on it without headphones. Could be a YMMV thing.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
The ADB setting is mentioned on the official B&N developers website.So it is there on purpose. The setting is probably there to make it easier for developers to test apps on the Nook HD and HD+.

Of course installing ADB and setting it up for the Nook is probably not something the average user without any computer knowledge will be able to do.

See this link for all the information (from 4.2 on):
https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/en...start-up-guide
Those are not the right instructions for someone who simply wants to sideload a few apps; those are the instructions for people who want to develop for the Nook HD and HD+ platforms.

For simple sideloading, all you need is the Android SDK (actually, just a few binaries) and the drivers to talk to your device. Much simpler than what's on the link you provided.

The SDK is here.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
aagstn
Evangelist

Thanks for the link. I have to check this out.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I ordered the HD+ on Cyber Monday from OfficeMax. They don't have them in stock yet and who knows when I'll get mine...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #14
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Anyone know what the actual screen size is?
I find that overall dimensions to be misleading, as many of the cheaper tablets [like my superpad] have ginormous bezels.
My superpad's screen measures 9x5.25in [roughly] and just wondering how the Nook HD+ screen size compares to that.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It measures exactly 8.261 inches by 5.244 inches.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote