Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Just came back from Chapters...

and they do have stock...only one...and it's the demo. Manager said it has been pushed back until Nov 2nd and he's pretty sure it was all stores. I'm going to call Best Buy later when they open to see if they have stock in.

I did get to play with the Vox, unfettered at that (they didn't have a security cable available). Only played with it for about 10 minutes or so as it was enough time for me to get a feel for it, and the manager did seem like he had better things to do

There is a bit of heft to the Vox, but loads lighter than my transformer (10" Tablet) Think a nice hardcover weight. Regarding the screen, as I know many are wondering about that. it's most definitely a nice screen, with good viewing angle, but I like the picture on the transformer more. That's not to say that it's bad, not at all, but I feel it still had the same issues as any other tablet with a glass screen. When I have a little more time with it, I'll try to grab pictures of it compared to the other tablet.

Responsiveness was pretty much what I was more or less what expecting for the device in regards to opening books; Not blazing fast, but acceptable. Changing pages were instantaneous, but the only thing I found was regarding swiping for turning a page. it does work, but it has to be a long swipe; I was trying to do smaller flick type swipes as I've done with my other tablet, but it didn't respond very well most of the time. tapping worked flawlessly.

That's more or less all I have for now. And for what it's worth, the manager had mentioned that he had a playbook and after playing with the vox for a bit, said he liked the feel of the Vox more.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
FutureShop is showing stock in-store in many locations, even up here in cottage country...
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
FutureShop is showing stock in-store in many locations, even up here in cottage country...
Both Best Buy and future shop are also showing here too, but Future shop is showing only for a couple of stores. I've learned though never to trust their online inventory system
Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
True, which is why it's always good to phone ahead if you're making the trip
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Futureshop + bestbuy are showing in stock at several locations on their website. However as noted, Chapters has pushed the release back to Nov 2nd and are announcing that on their website as the release date
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Both Best Buy and future shop are also showing here too, but Future shop is showing only for a couple of stores. I've learned though never to trust their online inventory system
Mine shows as in stock too, I just called them and they don't have them yet. They said that if they get them, they will arrive around 12:30pm. I guess their online inventory system isn't that great.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I got two from Best Buy at 10:01 this morning! They only had pink, but they are birthday gifts for my sisters and I think they'll like the colour.

As non-tech-savvy people I think they will appreciate if I set it up and test it out for them ...
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I got two from Best Buy at 10:01 this morning! They only had pink, but they are birthday gifts for my sisters and I think they'll like the colour.

As non-tech-savvy people I think they will appreciate if I set it up and test it out for them ...
*grin* that's the excuse I've been using for "testing" my wife's transformer; But I did let her play with it for an hour
Old 10-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
There is a bit of heft to the Vox, but loads lighter than my transformer (10" Tablet) Think a nice hardcover weight.
You must have light hardcovers, then. Just checked and most of my hardcovers (around 400 pages each) clock in at just over 500g - and the Vox is just over 400g (so 3-4oz difference), unless they're lying about its weight...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote