Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Firefly Island, epic fantasy novel

Journal of Always Top Ten Novel (2010)
Red Adept Reviews Runner Up Best Fantasy (2010)
The Five Star Publishing hardcover -- now an ebook

FIREFLY ISLAND
a fantasy novel by Daniel Arenson

"This is the most excited I have ever been about a fantasy book!" -- ReaderViews.com

King Sinther, his flesh made of stone, tyrannizes the enchanted Firefly Island. Swords and arrows break against him. Armies crash before him. All of Firefly Island, a land of magic and mystery, suffers under his cruelty.

But one girl, a simple slave girl, has magic that can stop him. Whatever Aeolia feels, she can make others feel: joy, sadness, hunger... even pain. If she hurt herself and shared the pain, she could hurt the mad stone king.

Can Aeolia escape King Sinther's assassins, defeat him, and save Firefly Island?

"A very promising debut... I would highly recommend this book." -- FantasyBookSpot.com

Hear the song "Fireflies" by Ekaterina -- composed for Firefly Island.

Buy for Kindle US

Buy for Kindle UK

Buy for Nook

Buy from Smashwords

Firefly Island Website

Last edited by DArenson; 03-07-2011 at 07:03 PM.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
First, welcome to MR!

Second, there are many readers who don't have Kindles (such as myself) and aren't able to read your book. If you also upload the book to a site such as Smashwords, you'll be able to reach a much broader audience.

If you'd like help with that, there are many authors here who've done it, just ask

Good luck!
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #3
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Hi animedude,

Thanks. Yes, Firefly Island is on Smashwords! It was just recently approved for the Premium Catalog, so it will probably hit the other stores soon (iBookstore, etc.).

For now, if you're interested, you can download other formats of Firefly Island directly from Smashwords. The price there is $1.99 too. The link is:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/12299

Hope you enjoy it!

I myself am still learning and enjoying this new world of ebooks. Spent the past three years with Firefly Island as a hardcover, waiting for ebooks to become popular up here in Canada (the Kindle just recently arrived here). So far ebooks are great!

Daniel
Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Welcome and enjoy I look forward to reading you book
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Cool cover, Daniel - very nice!
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
The book seems interesting!

Welcome to MobileRead!
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Thanks for putting it on Smashwords... All Kindle users outside USA pay an extra $2 US to get your book, so the Amazon price for me and many others around the world would be $3.99... It's a great saving getting books from Smashwords, especially if you read a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArenson View Post
Hi animedude,

Thanks. Yes, Firefly Island is on Smashwords! It was just recently approved for the Premium Catalog, so it will probably hit the other stores soon (iBookstore, etc.).

For now, if you're interested, you can download other formats of Firefly Island directly from Smashwords. The price there is $1.99 too. The link is:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/12299

Hope you enjoy it!

I myself am still learning and enjoying this new world of ebooks. Spent the past three years with Firefly Island as a hardcover, waiting for ebooks to become popular up here in Canada (the Kindle just recently arrived here). So far ebooks are great!

Daniel
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #8
DArenson
ebookworm

Hey Bill, thanks. I hope you enjoy the book!

Michael, thank you too, I also love the cover. I was wowed when I first saw it. "Firefly Island" was released as a hardcover three years ago, with a different (and equally good) cover. The novel got a new cover (and a new website -- DanielArenson.com) with its recent digital re-release.

Carlo -- thanks, glad you think it sounds interesting. If you choose to read it, I hope you enjoy it.

Lene, that's a great tip re Smashwords. I live here in Canada, and it costs an extra $2 to get Kindle books. I'll remember about Smashwords. I'm hoping that "Firefly Island" also reaches iBookstore and the Sony Store soon. I know Smashwords sent the book their way already.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm excited to have found mobileread.com, and I hope to spend lots of time here.

Daniel
http://www.DanielArenson.com
Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Great cover, Daniel. Perfect for the Kindle. Did you have that designed for you? Or was this from another edition of the book?

Lee
LeeGoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #10
DArenson
ebookworm

Hi Lee,

Thanks!

The hardcover (released in 2007 from Five Star, an imprint of Gale) has this cover:

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

A very nice, very talented artist named Thorsten Grambow painted this one. I think mine was his last cover art; as far as I know, he's retired from painting them. If you're curious, you can see a larger version of it on my website, http://www.DanielArenson.com.

"Firefly Island" was only released as an ebook this month. Another very nice, very talented artist named Frank Barbara created the cover for the ebook. What's great about the new cover is that it still looks crisp as a thumbnail, which is crucial for an ebook. Here's the digital cover:

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

I'm very happy with the ebook cover, and I hope to work with Frank again for another book.

Daniel

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-26-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #11
LeeGoldberg
Connoisseur
LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!LeeGoldberg rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
Daniel,

I like the new ebook cover much better than the Five Star cover. I am very familiar with Five Star...they published my books THE WALK and THE MAN WITH THE IRON-ON BADGE, both of which are now on the Kindle. In fact, THE WALK has sold more copies, and made me more money, than it ever did in its hardcover release. It's too soon to tell how BADGE will do compared to the hardcover release. That said, I love the folks at Five Star...they have lousy distribution but they treat their authors very well.

Lee
LeeGoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:03 PM   #12
DArenson
ebookworm

Great to meet another Five Star alumnus here!

Also great to hear that you're finding even MORE success with Kindle. I've only started selling "Firefly Island" on Kindle, but so far, I'm very happy with it.

Daniel
Old 04-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hello there, just a second to the Smashwords comment, I find them really good, just starting out so I'm building a readership by giving away free shorts... also wanted add another vote for the cover, your book sounds great, good luck with it.

Cheers

M T McGuire
[Promotion deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-26-2012 at 02:36 PM.
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
DArenson
ebookworm

Thanks, M T!

So far the response to the new cover has been enthusiastic. I'm discussing ideas with the artist for my next book's cover, and it'll be even better.

In the past few days, Firefly Island has been selling nicely, and is among the top 100 bestselling epic fantasy novels of Kindle. Exciting. I resisted releasing an ebook for a long time, but now I love them.

Good luck, M T, with your own writing! I love humorous fantasy fiction.

Daniel
Old 04-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
lmpreston
YA Author
lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I love your cover! Thanks for sharing.
lmpreston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy ebooks, fantasy novels, summer reading