Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
How do you figure you were paying an extra $3-7 for Kindle titles? Compared to what?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Compared to Chapters if I owned one of their e-readers instead of the Kindle as well as compared to the US price.

The general pattern with what I want to read is $11.99 at amazon.com, but when I click on the book it shows up as $15.99 or $16.53 or, gack even $20.07 because I have a Canadian address. Usually the same title costs $15.99 at Chapters in Canada, but I can't read ePub (easily) on the Kindle so I just go to the library and borrow the paper book.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
How do you figure you were paying an extra $3-7 for Kindle titles? Compared to what?
Compared to US prices. Some of the publishers who priced their agency bestsellers at $12.99-$14.99 in the US were charging $17-$21 in Canada.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Interesting. I have never tried to buy from Kindle US so I never saw the inflated price at the checkout, just the list price which always seemed on par with—or lower than—prices on Kobo.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Compared to US prices. Some of the publishers who priced their agency bestsellers at $12.99-$14.99 in the US were charging $17-$21 in Canada.
*cough* Penguin *cough*
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
*cough* Penguin *cough*
I didn't find Penguin to be that bad, they were usually priced close to the US price. Simon & Schuster was the worst for titles I was interested in, then Hachette. I eventually boycotted all of the above since they won't supply ebooks to libraries, but their pricing schemes certainly helped with my resolve.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #22
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I didn't find Penguin to be that bad, they were usually priced close to the US price. Simon & Schuster was the worst for titles I was interested in, then Hachette. I eventually boycotted all of the above since they won't supply ebooks to libraries, but their pricing schemes certainly helped with my resolve.
So far all of The Dresden files have had a significant difference in the US and CAD pricing. Upwards of $5 on some of them.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #23
maccyber
maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
.ca kindle store

Prior to December Canadian Kindle owners bought their ebooks at amazon.com in US funds, making sure to choose country designation "Canada." The "Canadian" US dollar price was always higher than the "American" US dollar price.

Now, as of Dec 7, Canadians can buy ebooks at amazon.ca in CAN funds and the Canadian price at .ca is CHEAPER than the "Canadian" price at .com. But, in order to buy at .ca you must transfer your account from the .com kindle store to the .ca kindle store. When you do this, you will not be able to buy ebooks with your account from the .com store and you will lose access to all subscriptions and periodicals, no access to music or cloud player, no access to video, possible limited or no game subscriptions.

If you do not switch your account from .com to .ca and you shop at the storefront using your kindle device, you will pay the higher "Canadian" non-.ca price and not even know it.

Example: The Racketeer by John Grisham
amazon.com - country USA - $12.99 USD
amazon.com - country CAN - $16.32 USD
amazon.ca - country CAN - $13.99 CAD

the Canadian dollar is worth slightly more than US dollar but close enough to call it par for comparison purposes.

Seems, like Amazon is forcing customers to sacrifice content or pay like a sucker. Not a good way to build customer satisfaction.
maccyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Re: maccyber's post.

This now makes sense to me. Those talking about the low Amazon prices are using a US address.
llcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #25
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
A number of publishers sellling ebooks on amazon.com to Canadian addresses charge Canadian taxes bundled into the price. This has been going on and is documented in Amazon.com's fineprint for over a year.

That's why you find things like a book being $13.99 at Kobo and (now) amazon.ca but $15.99 at amazon.com. The final price is still the same (+ or - a few cents) but the Canadian based sites add taxes at the checkout; amazon.com, when it charges Canadian taxes, adds them into the price.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #26
maccyber
maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maccyber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Canadian Kindle Book pricing

This seems like a reasonable explanation, although in the case I described, the .ca price including all possible taxes would still be a little less than the the .com "Canadian" price charged in USD. Nevertheless, the disparity would be greatly reduced.

Your explanation was logical, brief, and to the point. In contrast, amazon's response to my inquiry via email and a phone call was vague and inconclusive. Their final email ended by saying that Canadian customers who choose not to migrate their account from the .com site to the .ca site cannot avoid being "overcharged" at this time and presently, there is nothing they are prepared to do about it. According to your explanation, this response is not only false, but counterproductive on the part of the representative. Can they be that ill informed about their own pricing policies?

Note that if a Canadian migrates his "Kindle account" from .com to .ca he gains the advantage of prices listed and charged in Canadian currency, but must sacrifice access to all subscriptions to magazines, periodicals, etc, cannot access the music store, loses access to the music cloud, and will have limited or no access to games or active content. In addition, kindle devices are still not available at the .ca site and must be purchased through .com

I'm curious if you have any first hand knowledge of an ebook purchase at the new .ca kindle store and exactly how they describe taxes and total cost. I cannot purchase a kindle book there unless I migrate my account from the .com site to .ca. It seems that for kindle purchases, one's account can be used at either .com or .ca but not both. I am unable to "proceed to checkout" in the .ca Kindle store which means I cannot see any potential additional charges like tax. Only the lower list price is shown.

This is an extremely confusing situation and should have been handled with greater clarity by amazon. Finally, I would say that Canada is so economically, geographically, and to some extent even culturally integrated with the US verses other "non-north american" countries that the limited product/services access and "foreign" market treatment is a little annoying. I have friends who commute to work in the states and some weeks probably spend more time over there than they do at home. I think they take this market for granted and don't feel the need to try very hard.
maccyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccyber View Post
Now, as of Dec 7, Canadians can buy ebooks at amazon.ca in CAN funds and the Canadian price at .ca is CHEAPER than the "Canadian" price at .com. But, in order to buy at .ca you must transfer your account from the .com kindle store to the .ca kindle store. When you do this, you will not be able to buy ebooks with your account from the .com store and you will lose access to all subscriptions and periodicals, no access to music or cloud player, no access to video, possible limited or no game subscriptions.
To the best of my knowledge, video and "active content" has always been limited to the US. It wasn't available to Canadian users shopping at "amazon.com", was it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
Arithonne
Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Kobo Glo
The price difference can't entirely be accounted for by taxes, as it's unevenly applied, and does not reflect the actual tax rate I would have to pay for the book.

Example: The Racketeer by John Grisham
amazon.com - country CAN - $16.32 USD (1.167x the .ca price)

Example: Skirmish by Michelle West
amazon.com - country CAN - $16.61 USD (1.187x the .ca price)

Meanwhile, Kobo or Sony will charge me 13.99 plus tax (5%), or 14.69 for either book. I didn't actually attempt to checkout on the kindle .com version, so the tax may be adjusted at time of purchase, as opposed to charging some random rate that may be accounted for by "tax."
Arithonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
A number of publishers sellling ebooks on amazon.com to Canadian addresses charge Canadian taxes bundled into the price. This has been going on and is documented in Amazon.com's fineprint for over a year.

That's why you find things like a book being $13.99 at Kobo and (now) amazon.ca but $15.99 at amazon.com. The final price is still the same (+ or - a few cents) but the Canadian based sites add taxes at the checkout; amazon.com, when it charges Canadian taxes, adds them into the price.
Sales tax is only 10% in my province (including Federal and Provincial). Frankly $11.99 to $20.07 does not add up tax-wise and it varies across publishers and even within publishers. It's adding a lot of other stuff as well as the tax. Oh, wait we're talking the manufacturers tax that was supposed to be gone when the GST (Federal) went in. Or maybe it's the not paying attention tax or the government needs a new F-35 tax.

I stick with one of my previous posts that I'm shocked that Canada taxes literacy so much.

As far as Amazon.ca goes. I'm not sure what I should do on that. I think I'll just backup my reading purchases and swap myself out to Canada and see if that looks better in the end. I'm pretty close to ditching my Kindle anyway given that 77% of this year's reading was paper and another 6% was public domain. Only 17% of my reading was puchased e-books.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #30
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Wondering how they reached their inflated price for Canadians on their .com site is what made me stop shopping at Amazon a couple of years ago. When I can't find a book at Kobo or BOB with my Cdn address, I much prefer B&N because they thankfully turn a blind eye to Canadian IP addresses with US account addresses. I'll still take advantage of Amazon.com's free ebooks though.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote