Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #1456
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
I really appreciate the humor and the sympathy of the members of this forum . Come here in France, I will pay you few beers !

Last edited by akorx; 08-31-2015 at 03:38 PM.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:48 AM   #1457
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
A last question, I see that :
- JSWolf has "Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR"
- Jakie_w has Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O/GloHD
- Meeera has Kobo H2O, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo

... wow, you are addict to eReader ???? do you know that there are other (other or others here too???) hobbies in life like sports, cinema and girls???
One tablet for comics and one ereader for books is an addiction, now? Besides, I'm not interested in girls.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #1458
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
One tablet for comics and one ereader for books is an addiction, now? Besides, I'm not interested in girls.
you miss something !
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #1459
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3

Last edited by doubleshuffle; 09-02-2015 at 05:03 PM.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:48 PM   #1460
valenceelectron
valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kobo Aura HD
Might it be possible to add a... let's say "recommended version" field?

Let me explain: after not using my Aura HD for nearly a year, I basically "reactivated" it now. Slapped a few epubs on it and checked the firmware version: 3.12. Huh, not exactly up to date. Cautious as I am, before updating I checked here if there's something about firmwares, potential bugs and discovered this thread with an abundance of information. And not just this thread, there's a huge one dedicated to every single firmware release.
However, unless you closely follow the scene or use the next ~3 months to read all these threads, you have no way of telling which firmware was more on the negative side, which one added useful features, maybe performance improvements and which is better to be avoided.
There's the notice about sickle which is indeed helpful and I fully understand attributing each firmware version with metadata about its "quality" is an overly large task, therefore my suggestion of a "good to use"/"sweet spot"-recommendation. I can only imagine quite a few people end up here through a google search and they might welcome this too.

Opinions?
valenceelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2015, 11:25 PM   #1461
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't think that will work. There is no way to get any sort of agreement on which is the best. If you go through the device specific threads, there will be posts where someone claims it is the best firmware followed by someone with exactly the same device saying it is the worst. A simple example is 3.16.10 and 3.17.0. If you had no PDFs on your device, sickel probably never kicked in and you wouldn't have known it existed. But, if you had PDFs, or even worse added a new PDF that triggered sickel, you would keep getting restarted.

Another example is the ratings. Kobo removed this from sideloaded books a while ago. I know at least one person who is not upgrading because of that. I personally liked the ratings and hesitated before updating. But my guess is that most people never noticed it and are wondering what I am talking about.

Recommending against a firmware is probably easier. I'm willing to say that no-one should use either 3.16.10 or 3.17.0. But, recommending 3.16.0 or 3.17.3 is a lot harder.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:53 AM   #1462
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valenceelectron View Post
Let me explain: after not using my Aura HD for nearly a year, I basically "reactivated" it now. Slapped a few epubs on it and checked the firmware version: 3.12. Huh, not exactly up to date.
I can relate, because I was very happy with 3.12 and never saw a reason to upgrade through several firmware versions. Always looked through the respective threads and saw complaints about new bugs but no solutions to the few things I didn't like.

The 3.17.3 discussion gave me the impression that at least it couldn't be worse than 3.12 - so I upgraded because I didn't want to fall completely behind in the FW department. So far I'm happy. PDF handling is much better than under 3.12, EPUBs work as well as they used to, KEPUBS I don't do.

One bug (or is it a feature?): When I open the TOC from inside a book, the little tick that is supposed to show me which chapter I am in doesn't sit there anymore but at the higher-level chapter. Let's say I'm reading a play and am in Act III, Scene v: The tick will be at Act III, not at Scene v. I don't like that, but so far it's the only thing I don't like.

Perhaps this helps, since you're also coming from 3.12.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:59 AM   #1463
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
One bug (or is it a feature?): When I open the TOC from inside a book, the little tick that is supposed to show me which chapter I am in doesn't sit there anymore but at the higher-level chapter. Let's say I'm reading a play and am in Act III, Scene v: The tick will be at Act III, not at Scene v. I don't like that, but so far it's the only thing I don't like.
I hadn't notice that. Most books have one ToC entry per internal file. But, I happen to be reading a book that has a main heading at the beginning of the file and several smaller heading throughout the file. The main and the smaller headings are in the ToC and selecting either will take me to the correct place. But, main heading at the beginning of the file is always the one that has the tick against it in the ToC.

To me that is a bug, especially as it was working the last time I looked.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:11 AM   #1464
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Ah, it's related to the internal files. That makes sense. But to me it is also a bug. I am not going to produce poetry collections with hundreds of poems with a separate file for each individual poem...
Old 09-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #1465
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
tocs for poetry

Well, I tend to buy complete collections from my favourite poets, and I split files for practically every poem. Exceptions are those who'd fit on one page whatever the reader (like 2 lines incidental poetry).
Since Kobos flatten tocs, for easier navigation I generate a toc up to the level above individual poems in Sigil, and go to the book's detailed contents if necessary. I use annotations to navigate to and from commentaries on individual poems.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #1466
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Might it be possible to add a... let's say "recommended version" field?
I don't take a position on any of the releases.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. The features they want or bugs they won't tolerate.

For example, I only just updated the firmware on my Glo HD (which I bought shortly after it was available in Australia). I was unhappy with all of the subsequent releases.

Some people are happy with firmware that's years old. Some have to update as soon as the firmware is available.

The threads are where you go for the info on whether or not to upgrade. If you don't want the read through the treads to determine if you want a firmware version (or which version you want), then you either don't care enough for it to matter, or you'll just wait until your device updates automatically.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #1467
valenceelectron
valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.valenceelectron is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't think that will work. There is no way to get any sort of agreement on which is the best.
Yeah that's probably the biggest problem and one I wouldn't know how to solve.
That's unfortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I can relate, because I was very happy with 3.12 and never saw a reason to upgrade through several firmware versions. Always looked through the respective threads and saw complaints about new bugs but no solutions to the few things I didn't like.

The 3.17.3 discussion gave me the impression that at least it couldn't be worse than 3.12 - so I upgraded because I didn't want to fall completely behind in the FW department. So far I'm happy. PDF handling is much better than under 3.12, EPUBs work as well as they used to, KEPUBS I don't do.

[...]

Perhaps this helps, since you're also coming from 3.12.
It does indeed, thanks a lot.
In my case I also have a few "self-produced" CBZ files (as in: I wrote a script processing these image files to my liking) and should check if the reader handles these images still as good as he did. I'm especially scared about some changes regarding margins that went unnoticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
If you don't want the read through the treads to determine if you want a firmware version (or which version you want), then you either don't care enough for it to matter
Uh, I think it's really not that easy. The combined text of my epubs is probably below the combined text of these threads. It's not just a "read them if you are interested", we are talking about a serious time commitment for someone who didn't follow these discussions over time.
valenceelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #1468
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It does indeed, thanks a lot.
In my case I also have a few "self-produced" CBZ files (as in: I wrote a script processing these image files to my liking) and should check if the reader handles these images still as good as he did. I'm especially scared about some changes regarding margins that went unnoticed.
What I do when I want to experiment like this is to take a complete copy of the data partition of the device. Then I install the new firmware and do whatever testing I need to do. If at them end I don't want to stay with that firmware, I do a factory reset and get back to my desired firmware. Then I wipe the data partition of the device and copy the saved files back. After a restart I will be back were I started.

I've done this a lot of times to test different things. It takes time, but it works.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM   #1469
Gibook
Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.Gibook goes to eleven.

Device: kobo glo
Kobo desktop 3.17.7, now installing
Gibook is offline   Reply With Quote