Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-07-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Convert eBookwise 1150 annotations to iLiad?

The eBookwise 1150, like the iLiad, supports stylus-based written annotations, albeit into its own format only. Based on the discussions in the "Legacy Devices" forum, the .imp file used by the eBookwise gets pulled apart on the eBookwise itself into a number of smaller files; presumably one of those files created during this process is the annotation file. Depending on the format of that file, it could be possible to create a utility to convert the annotations to a format usable on the iLiad. Does anyone here have both devices and an interest in testing this idea? It would also be nice to have a way to feed the 1150 annotations to the Vision Objects PC software designed to work with the iLiad, especially if later on the annotations could be converted to PDF/other file annotations or could be otherwise searchable.

I'm asking because I'm considering getting the 1150 for now, while I save up for the iLiad (and wait a bit for the power, DRM, etc. issues to be resolved), but if I create a lot of annotations, I don't want to lose my work if/when I upgrade.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Do you have an example of a file with these annotations from the eBookwise...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Do you have an example of a file with these annotations from the eBookwise...?
No, I don't own the device yet. I might be able to get one from one of the "Legacy Devices" posters, though.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Moonraker uploaded a compressed folder showing how the eBookwise splits up the .imp file-- I don't know if there are any annotations in the books, but the file is in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9082
Old 12-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I've written software to format .imp files and understand the file format/history of it. I still have my Softbook Reader, REB-1200 and a stack of .imp files.

The .imp file is actually a packed up Macintosh file, the original Softbook Reader device was to have run a version of the Mac OS. They got a license from Apple back went Apple went "crazy" and licensed 3rd parties to use Mac OS.

Then "sanity" returned to Apple and the Softbook Reader, which had yet to ship, decided to get a new OS. They didn't want to re-write their book reader software so they simulated the original Mac OS multi-resource fork file structure via the .imp file. The little files are named by the resource code letters they held as resources in the Macintosh HFS file.

Someone could write a .imp file viewer for the iLiad. But without permission to implement the DRM... what real use would it be as an upgrade path?

The annotations can certainly be extracted, I've done it myself. But the resolution of the touch screen on the 1150 is, putting it gently, very low. One of the features of the iLiad is that the Wacom has a resolution high enough to yield usefully accurate HWR. You could get high lighting though, that's character level.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
henkvdg
Groupie
henkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of ithenkvdg has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: IREX iLiad, Pocketbook Pro 903
Power back up again, Scotty?
henkvdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Yes sir, thanks for asking.

Still 200,000 people with out power tonight and they're getting desperate. One guy apparently thought someone would steal his generator if he put it outside so he set it up in his living room. They weren't able to save him.

Moral of the story, when you buy a generator, buy a big chain and a big padlock: it could save your life...
Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
The annotations can certainly be extracted, I've done it myself. But the resolution of the touch screen on the 1150 is, putting it gently, very low. One of the features of the iLiad is that the Wacom has a resolution high enough to yield usefully accurate HWR. You could get high lighting though, that's character level.
Thanks, it helps to get a comparison by someone who's used both. I guess I should keep saving my pennies for an iLiad. (Fascinating history about the .imp format, too.)
Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by henkvdg
Power back up again, Scotty?
The folks at Amazon just filled my "suggestions" page with portable generators for "winter storms". No chains and padlocks though...