Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Irony at Fictionwise... Communist Manifesto

So this week on the new releases at Fictionwise is a copy of the Communist Manifesto, not only is not available in multiformat, but they are charging $10 for it!

It seemed ironic that they were charge $10 for a book that you can download for free at Project Gutenberg and that it wasn't even available in multiformat.

I obviously have too much time on my hands.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Capitalist pigs
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
More exploitation of the proletariat by the bourgeoisie!!

eReaders of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your DRM chains!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I think I got the complete works of Marx in the Amazon store for about 5 bucks.

Haven't gotten around to it, though...

I'll pay for a nice organized "everything" (I also have William Blake, Shakespeare, and Anton Chekhov like that.)

There's also a very nice illustrated edition of Paradise Lost with commentary by Phillip Pullman available... (bit off topic, I know, but it's very nice)
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
So this week on the new releases at Fictionwise is a copy of the Communist Manifesto, not only is not available in multiformat, but they are charging $10 for it!

It seemed ironic that they were charge $10 for a book that you can download for free at Project Gutenberg and that it wasn't even available in multiformat.

I obviously have too much time on my hands.

Amy
If it has decent notes, an introduction, etc, it's probably worth paying $10, just as one might pay for any other work which is in the public domain. Public domain does not mean "you can't charge for it".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
That's a bit more than the copies turning up under "Related Threads" at the bottom of the page...
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it has decent notes, an introduction, etc, it's probably worth paying $10, just as one might pay for any other work which is in the public domain. Public domain does not mean "you can't charge for it".
In the case of some books, being proofread and spell-checked by an underachieving secondary school student can add value to the free version floating around.

Speaking of which, I wish Project Gutenberg revisited their older publications through the Distributed Proofreaders program; the quality of texts has improved dramatically since its introduction, but a lot of their best stuff predates it to the woe of the reader.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

notes

I agree that a well edited copy can be worth it, but $10 seems rather spendy to me! I would expect alot of stuff added in for that price.

I think that a regular $5ish price would be more in line.

As for the DP work, hey I am one of those proof readers! Some of those scanned texts are already horridly proof read to begin with! Misspellings galore, one of my favorites was then the author could not decide whether to spell the persons name with a ie or a ei, and switched between the two through out the page!

Amy
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I agree that a well edited copy can be worth it, but $10 seems rather spendy to me! I would expect alot of stuff added in for that price.

I think that a regular $5ish price would be more in line.

As for the DP work, hey I am one of those proof readers! Some of those scanned texts are already horridly proof read to begin with! Misspellings galore, one of my favorites was then the author could not decide whether to spell the persons name with a ie or a ei, and switched between the two through out the page!

Amy
Yeah, you are right. $10 is a bit ludicrous, now that I think about it. The book is short like hell, and there are no distribution costs...

On DP, kudos to you, Amy! I think the work you contribute to as a DP proofreader is more significant in the long term than a lot of nonsense most of us probably spend the bulk of our workdays on.

Do you just do bits and pieces when you are in the mood, or do you have the fortitude/stamina to proofread considerable amounts at a time?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
sassanik
Guru

depends

Sometimes I am better than others. I can go a few months without any then I will be really good the next month. I have over 400 pages proofed (though some of them are admittidly blank pages)

Since they finished the Astounding Science series I have been slower, I really enjoyed the subject matter. Somehow religious texts are just not as exciting.

Amy