Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Firefox for Android

I tried this once before with no success, and i think I posted here, but cant remember.

Anyway, I got an email today from Firefox touting the new version for Android. I tried to install in on my Kindle Fire, but for some weird reason it would not accept the password I have been using for years.

Why in the world do I need to put in my email address or a password just to install Firefox anyway?

Anybody else tried this with success? Any suggestions?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Firefox... With a password?! Was that a legal download?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Firefox... With a password?! Was that a legal download?
Yup, it was the site that I got from the Firefox email. Somehow, it took me to some goofy Google site. It had the FF page with Install button, but them came the login. Strange.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I would be very reluctant to provide any information. I've never seen this on any devices, including Android tablets and phones. Can you sideload it from another device?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Would you consider posting the contents of that email here? This sounds very suspicious, indeed.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Would you consider posting the contents of that email here? This sounds very suspicious, indeed.
Oops, I guess I deleted it from my computer email before I went to the same site on the Fire. If it was a phishing site, it was surely very well done, but anyway, I have given up.

I really don't go online on the Fire very often anyway, just though as a loooong-time user of Mozilla & FF, it would be nice to use it there.

Here is the URL for the site I went too, if you are brave enough to take a look.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ozilla.firefox
Old 09-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Is your Fire rooted?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
KlondikeGeoff,

The link you included is that of the Google Play store and it isn't possible to download anything directly to your Kindle Fire unless your Fire is rooted and the Play Store app is installed on the tablet. I think perhaps you were asked for personal information because the site was attempting to register you and your device. I cannot recall exactly what information I had to provide in order to register. You cannot register unless you have an Android device which is capable of installing the Google Play app, and the modified version of Android running on the Kindle doesn't qualify.

Edited to remove confusing/erroneous information.

Last edited by redbees; 09-20-2012 at 10:42 AM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
That link still goes to the Play store.
This page has the official direct apk download link:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android

Directly downloaded to my Fire. Seem to work fine.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 09-19-2012 at 08:05 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Sorry about that! Thanks for providing the correct link.

I have edited my original post so others won't be confused by my errors.

Last edited by redbees; 09-20-2012 at 10:44 AM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote