Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Quiss
Spits infinitives
Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Smashwords channels

Hi
Would anyone know how things are happening at Smashwords?

I published on the 17th (well, earlier than that, but I made some changes). The book was approved for the Premium Catalogue without any request for fixes. It passed the idpf validator with flying colours.

On the marketing channels page it is indicated that books aren't 'shipped' until "Thursday or Friday" but for iBooks it says that this happens multiple times a day.

Yet, it still hasn't been shipped there.
So now I'm wondering if Smashwords is just being slow or if there is something wrong with the ePub after all.

Any thoughts on this?
Quiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Apple has odd requirements sometimes and that could be causing a problem. For example, the cover resolution requirements for iBooks has changed and if you don't meet the new requirements with your cover, it may not b accepted even if everything else is acceptable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Quiss
Spits infinitives
Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quiss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, but how would I find out what the problem is?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
No, if you are in the premium catalog you will make it to Apple. However it takes like 30 day sometimes for the book to make it out. If it does not show up by then, then you need to contact them.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
It took five weeks for my book to make it onto Apple.

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
It took five weeks for my book to make it onto Apple.

L
Yeah, they seem to be getting better... but yeah... slow to move out. That is why I pub direct to Amazon (regardless of when/if they ever get Amazon channel working) and probably will do future books direct to B&N instead of through them.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I concur with Vydor - go direct with Amazon and B&N.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
Quiss
Spits infinitives

Quote:
Thank you, all, for the replies. I'm less worried now

I am listed at Amazon but there doesn't seem to be a way to go direct with B&N from Canada, so I'll need Smashwords or Lulu for that.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I've generally found that B&N gets the books from Smashwords much faster than iBooks does. It's taken me as much as 6 weeks to get a book up at Apple. If you don't see it there after a month, contact Smashwords. Send them the link to your books Smashwords page, and they'll usually get back to you pretty quickly.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And now Kobo supports direct publishing as well.

But before you publish with Amazon, B&N, & Kobo, make sure your code it clean. A Calibre conversion from a Word document is not good code and could cause issues where they don't need to be.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
Quiss
Spits infinitives

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But before you publish with Amazon, B&N, & Kobo, make sure your code it clean. A Calibre conversion from a Word document is not good code and could cause issues where they don't need to be.
I hear you. I just compared the Smashwords meatgrinder ePub to the one I created originally for Lulu and the difference is considerable.

The one I made in Sigil looks beautiful whereas Smashword's goes edge to edge on my reader and the spacing between lines is very tight. It's just plain harder to read than the Sigil product.
Almost enough to want me to let Lulu distribute the thing rather than wait around for Smashwords.

However, Smashwords seems to be the preferred distributor for folks like me.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiss View Post
I hear you. I just compared the Smashwords meatgrinder ePub to the one I created originally for Lulu and the difference is considerable.

The one I made in Sigil looks beautiful whereas Smashword's goes edge to edge on my reader and the spacing between lines is very tight. It's just plain harder to read than the Sigil product.
Almost enough to want me to let Lulu distribute the thing rather than wait around for Smashwords.

However, Smashwords seems to be the preferred distributor for folks like me.
Actually, there are a lot of people who like no margins and tight spacing. I'm one of those who do. It gets more words on the screen that way and it's easier to read.

But I'm thinking your Sigil created code is probably easier to modify then the meatground code.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
Quiss
Spits infinitives

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, there are a lot of people who like no margins and tight spacing.
Hah! Another good point.
I keep forgetting that I'm not alone on the planet. I'll quit obsessing now.