Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
epub4ever
epub4ever began at the beginning.

Device: Sony TRS 1
decimal entities in ePub instead of character entities

Hi,

I was asked that I should use decimal entities in ePub instead of character entities (named character entities?).

I was already searching and looking in the manual but couldn't find anything how to change this.

Is there an inbuilt function in calibre?

Can I do something with the input for calibre?

Help is really appreciated.

Thanks

PS: tried to search&replace in sigil - with   -> *
It said it replaced XXX times but instead nothing happend

Last edited by epub4ever; 04-24-2012 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Typo
epub4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

what the? Named entities are easier to use

Section 24 of the HTML4 spec at w3.org lists (ISO) Character entities (both ways)
and NO Calibre will not flip these one way or the other.

& mdash; or & #8212; (space inserted to foil browsers)

which is easier to read ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by epub4ever View Post
Is there an inbuilt function in calibre?
Calibre seams to convert simple/common entities like ß into the utf8 representation by default (I just tested this whith a small html to epub-convertion). This is probably the best solution to deal with them.

But there may be some rare entities which are not converted automatically. I don't see an option other as to convert them one by one....

------------
Of couse, there are a few exception from automatic convertion with some very common entities like  

Last edited by mmat1; 04-19-2012 at 05:59 PM.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
epub4ever
epub4ever began at the beginning.

Device: Sony TRS 1
@the ducks
I agree with u

@mmat1
Sry wenn ich auf Deutsch antworte - (wenns nicht erlaubt ist außerhalb der deutschen Sektion - schonmal entschuldigung)
Wenn ich dich richtig verstehe, dann konvertiert calibre durch die umwandlung in utf8 alle entitäten in utf8 Entsprechungen? - Ist das dann dezimal?

Was mir im Code (in Sigil) halt noch aufgefallen war, waren die Leerzeilen mit  
Und irgendwie wurden die bei mir über Ersetzen auch nicht ersetzt....

Last edited by epub4ever; 04-19-2012 at 06:40 PM.
epub4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by epub4ever View Post
@the ducks
I agree with u

@mmat1
Sry wenn ich auf Deutsch antworte - (wenns nicht erlaubt ist außerhalb der deutschen Sektion - schonmal entschuldigung)
Wenn ich dich richtig verstehe, dann konvertiert calibre durch die umwandlung in utf8 alle entitäten in utf8 Entsprechungen? - Ist das dann dezimal?

Was mir im Code (in Sigil) halt noch aufgefallen war, waren die Leerzeilen mit  
Und irgendwie wurden die bei mir über Ersetzen auch nicht ersetzt....
Yes, callibre converts all common entities into utf8 codes. Codes are not decimal enties. A decimal entity is something like "&# 160;" (which represents   I hope i spelled this right...)

However & nbsp; is never converted, since most editors can't handle the difference. If converted to utf8 it looks just like a normal space !

By now, i can't figure out what your problems with S/R in sigil are. For me, Replacing nbsp with a star works fine.

If there are any problems left, you may drop me a pm (auf deutsch natürlich )

@theducks: You're right !
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert