Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Kindle in danger of becoming e-books' Betamax

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- If Jeff Bezos isn't careful, his beloved Kindle could end up as the Betamax of the e-book business.
Amazon's competitors, after fumbling about like the Washington Nationals for the past couple of years, are starting to get their act together. They're moving toward a shared e-book format, called ePub, that's different from the one on the Kindle.

Read the rest at:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/kin...max-2009-08-10
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I think that as competition increases Amazon will adapt...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
ugh... yeah... okay.

they sell a digital product, they can convert all their prc books (azw books) to epub in a matter of seconds, and open distibution up.

right now they are fine with keeping it closed up. they sell more readers and books than ever other company.

the kindle store isn't going the way of the dodo. this story is ridiculous.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I think that as competition increases Amazon will adapt...
Indeed, it's easier to adapt software than it is to refit a physical medium. While it would be reasonably easy to provide an additional decoder for the format used on the old Sony recorders, my Betamax tapes are too small for the my current video player -- their sprocket holes don't line up with the drivers, and the tape is narrower than the playback heads.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
I know, remember when Apple didn't open the iPod up to Ogg Vorbis?

What a disaster!
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
I still curse Amazon. They have my King Raven series locked into Kindle Format, and it's not available anywhere else on any other format!

Curses!!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
etherspin
Connoisseur
etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.etherspin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
arent they actually in a legal position to perpetuate the inability of other companies to allow for mobipocket drm and Epub DRM on one device while making their own device do exactly that ? I'm afraid they may be in the best position of all.
etherspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Either they should drop MobiPocket, or they should allow it to be used next to another DRM scheme, I agree. In the least, they should make firmware that also allows non-DRM epub to be read.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

amazon does not want drm, they want to sell books, and most publishers wont let them do that without drm. IF they see epub as the way to sell more books, while still keeping the publishers happy. I'm sure they will do it.

but their ultimate goal I believe is books without drm. but if epub becomes universal, than drm doesn't matter. because then your drmed epub can be read anywhere.

all they need to do it have every other Ebook reader come onto the market with ADOBE epub drm support. and then they may switch to Epub.

but currently. they seem to be selling more than enough kindles and kindle books.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
ugh... yeah... okay.
they sell a digital product, they can convert all their prc books (azw books) to epub in a matter of seconds, and open distibution up.
right now they are fine with keeping it closed up. they sell more readers and books than ever other company.
the kindle store isn't going the way of the dodo. this story is ridiculous.
It wouldn't be a matter of seconds, realistically. I'd say more likely weeks, but still not difficult.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
It wouldn't be a matter of seconds, realistically. I'd say more likely weeks, but still not difficult.
amazon has the second largest server farm in the world I think (maybe its top 5. I havent checked in a while,)

in terms of prc to epub, they are nearly the same functionality wise on the inside. so they could create an automated prc to epub script and run it on every book in seconds. tech wise they would take their time, they are the largest seller of books. and they don't want to mess anything up.

but it wouldn't surprise me to know they already have the epub system worked out, and a kindle firmware with epub support.

we will see it when the time is right for them to do it.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't care if the Kindle goes extinct .... life goes on and there are other options
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I don't care if the Kindle goes extinct .... life goes on and there are other options
The same can be said of every reader on the market based on personal preferences.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I have confidence Amazon will adapt as the market changes.

But if not, I don't much care as I buy e-books with the idea of only reading them once. Anything I really love and want around long-term I'll pick up a hard cover.

And it's easy enough to strip DRM and convert to other formats if the need arose anyway.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 AM   #15
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
if epub becomes universal, than drm doesn't matter. because then your drmed epub can be read anywhere.
But there isn't a standard DRM scheme for ePub, right? I mean currently everyone seems to be using Adobe's ADEPT DRM for ePub but I thought Sony or someone mentioned developing there own at some stage. If this happens then just because your ebook reader supports Adobe ePub doesn't mean it will support all DRMed ePub.

Given the confusion that would arise, I doubt very much that anyone will create a different ePub DRM scheme but I've never understood the view that DRMed ePub will work on all devices that "support ePub".
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote