Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #991
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I don't know if anyone else has had this.

I've had a long standing issue with Mantano, where I've not been able to load my books that I've bought from either Baen or Books on Board in Mantano. On import, I'd get no cover and when clicking on the book it would fail to display the book.

Mantano looked at it and said that this was to do with the book structure as it generated an error in the ADE SDK. They try and see if they could baypass this and allow the books to load, but they never resolved it.

Now though I've found a solution (at least in my case).

I was messing around with one of the books to see if I could fix the problem. Creating a new book in sigil and copying the content across didn't resolve it and I ran out of sensible ideas. So then I decided to just try anything.

The book I was testing was David Weber's The Honor of the Queen (Book 2 of the Honor Harrington series). I have all my books in folders by author and then series if they are in a sereis. If the series folder I'd have all the books sorts by reading order, i.e. the book names would start with Book #01, Book #02, etc. So this book was "Book #02 - The Honor of the Queen.epub".

For some reason I thought I'd change the filename and see if that made a diffence, so I change it to "Test.epub". I then imported it into Mantano and amazingly it loaded and opened perfectly fine.

I couldn't believe it that it could be something in the filename, but it seems like one of my characters is at fault.

I reverted back to the original filename and then removed all the spaces but no joy. I then tried putting it all lower-case, again didn't work. I then tried removing the dash, again, same result. Finally I removed the hash (#) and lo-and-behold the book worked!

So it looks like Mantano cannot handle the books having a hash in the filename. This behaviour was not in the early versions but we do have it now.

So if - like me - you use hashes in your filenames, you might want to think about removing them.

I'm going to pass this onto Mantano and get them to look at this.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 09-29-2012 at 10:02 AM.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #992
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
Thanks for the info ghostyjack. I too have problems with covers.
I'm still having problems with Mantano's white screen of death...At least now I only have to use task manager to clear it from memory and it works fine...much easier than doing a full shutdown/power up as I was doing.

It is a fix but Mantano should fix whatever they did to cause the white screen problem...
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #993
Namtar
Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7, Kobo Touch, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Elonex EB500
I've also seen this issue with the hash (#) in the filename causing a problem.

I know I've been handling it for quite some time now but never really thought much of it as it's just one of those things i made sure to modify before copying book files to my android device.

As it's currently about the only issue I have with Mantano i just deal with it.
Namtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #994
CyberSmoke53
Enthusiast
CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyberSmoke53 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSmoke53 View Post
Just did latest update. I still can not close and exit the app with back arrow. App says to hit back to exit but will not close until I force stop it. If you can not fix the back exit can you add a button to close mantano reader and go yo home. Force closing seems to be extreme. The issue started 5 updates back on my galaxy tab 2 7.0 tablet running ics 4.0.4. Mantano exits correctly on my froyo phone and my honeycomb thrive 10 in tablet so I don't know is ics issue or not. Samsung has updated 4.0.4 twice but Mantano is my only reader that won't close. I have been having to avoid using mantano on the galaxy tab due to this issue. Please fix or give an exit program button.
looks like the 2.2.8 update fixed the back arrow to exit to home screen hangup on 4.0.4 ics on the galaxy tab. thank you!
If I am not finished reading for a while I have tried suspending the book again. So far I have been able to retrieve the a suspended session without a white screen.
CyberSmoke53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #995
jillmess
Enthusiast
jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I like to have a space between paragraphs in my books. Mantano removes these and I can't find any setting that allows me to stop this from happening. Am I missing something?

Jill
jillmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #996
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
No, I don't think so. Usually I like this behavior, but it would be better if it was optional to reduce spacing between paragraphs.

Moon+, for example, also allows you to "trim" whitespace between paragraphs, but you have to turn it on.

Last edited by Adoby; 10-06-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #997
jillmess
Enthusiast
jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jillmess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
No, I don't think so. Usually I like this behavior, but it would be better if it was optional to reduce spacing between paragraphs.

Moon+, for example, also allows you to "trim" whitespace between paragraphs, but you have to turn it on.
Thanks - I thought I had looked at all settings but was hoping I had missed something. The lack of some of these options is why I still prefer Moon+ to read with.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #998
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmess View Post
I like to have a space between paragraphs in my books. Mantano removes these and I can't find any setting that allows me to stop this from happening. Am I missing something?
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is not my experience. Being very picky about epub styling I always edit the css file so that standard body paragraphs have a small amount (0.25em) of whitespace between each other and scenebreaks have a large (2em) top margin. Mantano honours both of these (and any other epub css styles) perfectly, in fact better than any other epub reading app I've tried. That's why it's my favourite.

Are you sure that the problem isn't inside your epubs?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #999
jillmess
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Are you sure that the problem isn't inside your epubs?
Possibly. Perhaps I should have said Mantano doesn't allow me to add spaces between paragraphs. Both Moon+ and FBReader have options that allow me to control/alter things like this. Not having these options in Mantano means that Moon+ remains my reader of choice - regardless of how well Mantano does the other "stuff".

Jill
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #1000
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I have the opposite problem with my current read--an epub styled with spaces (website-style) rather than paragraph indents, but honestly it took me about a page and a half to adjust.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #1001
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I have the opposite problem with my current read--an epub styled with spaces (website-style) rather than paragraph indents, but honestly it took me about a page and a half to adjust.
That's me too. I prefer my books with an indent at the first line of and no spaces between paragraphs. However, I can't mentally adjust to having spaces between paragraphs (even little ones) and use "tweak book" feature of Calibre to take them out.

To each their own I guess.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #1002
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Bumping this thread...

Is there any news about the night reading settings? I decided to update Mantano to see if it was usable again, but rolled back (with all the problems that came with it, as apparently the data was correctly backed up) within 5 minutes. I didn't even look at the "new features" that may or may not have been there, as the newest version is simply unusable for night time reading (and I use my tablet as reader 99.9% of the time in a dark environment)

And before I try again, I need to know what files I must back up in order to do a successful rollback... It took me over two hours to get my collections correct again....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #1003
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I have the latest version and have no problem with night reading using white text on black background. But I only use black and white settings and ePubs with just text, and so the "reversed" night mode works fine for me. What problems do you have with the night mode, that makes it unusable for you?

Currently (2.2.11) I have no issues or problems with Mantano at all, it "just works", but then I don't use many of the more advanced features. I mainly just read ePubs and PDFs on a single device. Of course I have some ideas of minor improvements, map tags to collections for instance, but nothing that would influence the main usability of the app.

Last edited by Adoby; 11-07-2012 at 03:08 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:57 AM   #1004
IngoBN
Enthusiast
IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IngoBN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, Samsung Galaxy SII
Why? There is a night mode an it´s possible to create a dark theme...
IngoBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #1005
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngoBN View Post
Why? There is a night mode an it´s possible to create a dark theme...
The night mode looks horrible and is way too light. I don't want a gray background with white letters. I want a black background with gray letters...

And a dark theme... Switching to night-mode is a lot easier than switching a theme.

I just wondered why they removed something that basic (being to able to change both sets of colours with one theme).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote