Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
What do you like and what not of your Nexus 7

Thought about starting a new thread about things I like and things I do not of my Nexus 7.

Feel free to share, if you own one. Hope this may help anyone who's in the fence about getting one .

I do like :
-Battery: I'm impressed . Its as good as my iPad. (please see attached screen.)
-Resolution: really sharp and vivid screen . Awesome for reading.
-Light but solid feel.
-Very responsive and smooth while scrolling

I do not like:
-Volume is not the greatest
-Kindle highlights are awful (check my other thread about it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1344742372232.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	90567  
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Battery Life
Videos look great on it
Google Now is growing on me

Dislike
Many parts of Google Play not available outside USA
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I wish I could say much except that I liked it every bit before it was hidden away in guise of my birthday present
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
I actually love it, however without an internet connection it is worthless.
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giedre View Post
I actually love it, however without an internet connection it is worthless.
Good point.

I do have the crazy idea of trashing my Galaxy SII, get an International WiFi hotspot, those for 30 bucks a month, and resurrect my Motorola RZR. But I'll have to think about it. I think I'll pay more that way.

The Nexus 7 is really useful though, when connected. Who knows, maybe they will develop a 4G one next year.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm thoroughly pleased with it. I can't say there's anything BAD with it or stuff I don't like. The price and the features work great for me.

I guess about the only thing would be the lack of SD card slot, although for what I've been using it for, it's not THAT big of a deal.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
The ebook reading experience leaves something to be desired. A book purchased through Google and read in their app on the Nexus 7 had hyperlinks to footnotes. Not working. In the iPad the Google app read the book with the hyperlinks working.
Also there was no dictionary lookup on the Nexus while the iPad app had the dictionary lookup. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but this is a huge failure for the Google app. I'm using Aldiko to read on the Nexus.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong but this is a huge failure for the Google app. I'm using Aldiko to read on the Nexus.
The Google reader app is very basic. Much better off using Mantano, Moon+, Aldiko or BlueFire (among others).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline

I'm using Kindle for Android ...

I've never used Google app. But I took a look and has a nice design. I don't think I'll use it tough, I'm happy with what I get and find in Amazon.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The Google reader app is very basic. Much better off using Mantano, Moon+, Aldiko or BlueFire (among others).
"Very Basic" is too kind. I would call it "Pathetic."
Do any of these ebook apps have a built-in dictionary that does not force access to the web?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Do any of these ebook apps have a built-in dictionary that does not force access to the web?
Off the top of my head, if I'm remembering correctly, Mantano, Cool Reader, Moon+ and the Kindle app all support offline dictionary use. There are probably more, but as it's a feature I don't really use I'm not sure.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Off the top of my head, if I'm remembering correctly, Mantano, Cool Reader, Moon+ and the Kindle app all support offline dictionary use. There are probably more, but as it's a feature I don't really use I'm not sure.
Thanks. I bought the Moon+ Pro using some of my $25 credit. Seems to be very nice.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Thanks. I bought the Moon+ Pro using some of my $25 credit. Seems to be very nice.
Yes that is my favorite eReader app. I wish the dev would have added a full sync solution before adding PDF support.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Stupid question here, as I mainly use Kindle.

I guess Google books are DRM protected, right? Like B&N ? ...also, if I have some epub books DRM free, how can I side load that into Google read ...
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Stupid question here, as I mainly use Kindle.

I guess Google books are DRM protected, right? Like B&N ?
There is no such thing as a stupid question

Not all of Google Books have DRM. A publisher can request their book to be DRM free.

An easy way to check is to search for "DRM free" in the Play Book Store is to search for the string

"At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied."

or

"DRM free"

The latter will give you a more accurate list. Also most public domain books are DRM liberated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
...also, if I have some epub books DRM free, how can I side load that into Google read ...
Wow this is really a stupid question. jk

There is no way to load personal books on to Google's Book app. It only works for books exclusively purchased from Google's Book store; it does work for the millions of free books found on their site. I would say that is a lacking feature... but considering that the Google's Book app is one of the worst readers in the market it's not really an issue they have bigger fish to fry.

Also Google Play uses it's own format as it streams one page at a time to the reader. You can cache your books by selecting the offline features. However in addition to that Google books supports Adobe DRM so you can download the ePUB or PDF version of your book from their play store and add it to your ADE device.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote