Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
linux Ubuntu 9.10 Does not detecting reader

I just installed Ubuntu on my computer and downloaded calibre - no problem, but when I attempt to upload a book to my reader Sony PRS 700 - it does not detect the device.

I sure like Ubuntu, I sure like calibre, I just wish they could get along.

Help!

please
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
When you plug in the device, is it showing up as a USB device in Nautilus?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
post the output of

calibre-debug -d and what version of calibre are you using?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am running 6.13 which is the version that downloads directly from the software library in Ubuntu 9.10
Old 10-31-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
fbrII
F. BluDevil

frabjous

Brand new to Ubuntu so I'm not sure where the a usb device would show up in Nautilus but if we are talking the Computer view - no it doesn't show.

kovidgoyal

I don't know what you mean by "post the output of"
Advert
Old 10-31-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
frabjous

Brand new to Ubuntu so I'm not sure where the a usb device would show up in Nautilus but if we are talking the Computer view - no it doesn't show.
Yes, that's nautilus. It show up on the "Places" menu too. This is a bad sign, and most likely, it's not with calibre. Do other devices work when plugged into the same USB port?

Quote:
I don't know what you mean by "post the output of"
Open a terminal. (Under "Applications > Accessories" from the main GNOME menu, unless they've changed things.) At the prompt (username@computer-name:~$) type in:

calibre-debug -d

After awhile, it'll produce some text. Copy and paste that text into a message here.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
fbrII
F. BluDevil

First output from calibre-debug -d

Quote:
USB devices on system: [(7531, 2, 518), (7531, 1, 518)]
Looking for BEBOOK
Looking for BEBOOK_MINI
Looking for BLACKBERRY
Looking for CYBOOKG3
Looking for EB600
Looking for ILIAD
Looking for IREXDR1000
Looking for JETBOOK
Looking for KINDLE
Looking for KINDLE2
Looking for KINDLE_DX
Looking for PRS500
Looking for PRS505
Looking for PRS700
Looking for ANDROID
Looking for CYBOOK_OPUS
Looking for COOL_ER
Looking for ESLICK
2nd - I am running Ubuntu on a Mac using Virtualbox. When I connect to the USB port the Sony library software opens up and the device is recognized. However, in Ubuntu the device is a no show. I'm guessing it's the virtual drive that's causing the problem.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:53 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your system isn't detecting the device at all.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Sounds like instead of reading a good book on the Sony tonight, it's going to be Virtualbox docs on the Mac...

Tomorrow is going to be a good day
Old 10-31-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'd suggest trying a different USB cable/port
Old 11-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
First output from calibre-debug -d

2nd - I am running Ubuntu on a Mac using Virtualbox. When I connect to the USB port the Sony library software opens up and the device is recognized. However, in Ubuntu the device is a no show. I'm guessing it's the virtual drive that's causing the problem.
Just try this.

- Shutdown Ubuntu.
- Plug in your Sony reader, then load VirtualBox (don't start the Ubuntu install just yet.
- Select your Ubuntu install and on the right hand side of VirtualBox there is the Details section.
- Select USB.
- Select "Add Filter From Device". Should give a list of USB connected devices on your Mac, and then select the Sony reader.
- Start the Ubuntu virtual machine and see if it shows up in Nautilus.

Note** before loading Ubuntu you may wish to shutdown the Sony software that loads on the Mac when the unit is plugged in.

Best of luck.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
fbrII
F. BluDevil

Solicitous & kovidgoyal

Thanks for the advice but VirtualBox for some reason is not recognizing any of the USB ports. When I select USB in VirtualBox the device does not show up in the list, actually, no devices show in the list.

Also, I have tried different ports, same results.

Everything works fine in the host environment, Mac OS X - so I'll continue to use calibre in OS X until I work out the problem with VirtualBox

Thanks for the help.