Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #46
macjohnmcc
macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Kobo Aura One
This morning I woke up at 4:30am and looked over to see light coming from the USB port on my KA1. It has the kobo leather cover but even with it fully closed (no other light leakage) it was still on. The battery went from 70% at 11pm to about 8% at 4:30am.
macjohnmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #47
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
My KA1, which lives in its sleepcover, seems to be doing just fine since the firmware update. No problems. But, thankfully, I wasn't experiencing any battery issues before the update.

Very happy with this ereader. Just wish that they would improve the PDF experience.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjohnmcc View Post
This morning I woke up at 4:30am and looked over to see light coming from the USB port on my KA1. It has the kobo leather cover but even with it fully closed (no other light leakage) it was still on. The battery went from 70% at 11pm to about 8% at 4:30am.
Did it go to sleep when you closed the cover? Was there any sign of activity on the device? Though, at 4:30am, I'll completely understand if you didn't notice
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:04 AM   #49
pclewis
Enthusiast
pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.pclewis is less competitive than you.

I have been running the new firmware for several days now and I think it solved the battery issue. I did have one battery drain, but fairly sure the slip cover did not put the unit to sleep. I have been peeking under the cover to check that. Anyway, load the new firmware and report if you still have problems.
pclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #50
Zaroff
Connoisseur
Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.Zaroff is faster than slow light.

I noticed something even stranger: the cover does put the unit to sleep, but even then, the battery continues to drain. The solution for that (it worked this night) was to untick the auto sleep function in the settings. I lost only 1%... Whereas if I left that checked, I'd loose 10+ % easily.
So instead of enabling the auto option, I press the back button to put the unit to sleep.
Zaroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #51
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I also still have problems with the sleep cover. Have disabled auto-sleep again. Otherwise, no battery drain problems.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #52
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I also still have problems with the sleep cover. Have disabled auto-sleep again. Otherwise, no battery drain problems.
My battery drained from 97% to recharge overnight with the sleep cover as well.. with the new firmware.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:26 AM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
My battery drained from 97% to recharge overnight with the sleep cover as well.. with the new firmware.
Is the device actually going to sleep when you close the cover? You would only be able to tell by if there is no light leakage around the USB port or the edges of the cover, or if you briefly see the sleep screen when you open the device.

Tests I'd like to see done:

- Let the device auto sleep and not close the cover.
- Let the device auto sleep and then close the cover.
- Use another magnet to get the device to sleep and then close the cover.

What I am thinking of is that there was a problem a while ago where some covers had something that would touch the screen of the device as they closed. This interfered with the sleep in some way. It would appear to sleep, but power was being used.

With the Aura ONE, the cover is touching the screen. Something like the above could be happening and triggering something that is preventing the device from sleeping properly.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:11 AM   #54
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Is there a difference between auto-sleep and the cover's sleep/wake function?

I can imagine that the auto-sleep function is used to put the reader to sleep if you leave it open and don't turn a page for X minutes, but the sleep/wake magnet should put the reader to sleep even if the auto-sleep function is turned off.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:50 AM   #55
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Is there a difference between auto-sleep and the cover's sleep/wake function?

I can imagine that the auto-sleep function is used to put the reader to sleep if you leave it open and don't turn a page for X minutes, but the sleep/wake magnet should put the reader to sleep even if the auto-sleep function is turned off.
The result should be the same. And they should be independent of each other. ie. don't close the cover and the auto sleep kicks in, close the cover and it goes to sleep and nothing happens when the auto sleep timer would have run out.

There have been bugs in both. I mentioned the something touching the screen when the sleep cover was closed. The device seemed to be sleeping but something was using power. I think the conclusion was that the IR sensor and emitters weren't being turned of. And on the other side, there was a bug where the sleep time wasn't reset when the cover was closed. Close the cover just before the timer expired and when you opened it, the device woke and a few seconds later it went to sleep.

As people have said there are page turns happening when the cover is closed, it makes we wonder if something about how the cover touches the screen is affecting the sleep.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #56
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I wonder what my third party cover is going to do.

With the KPW1 this isn't a problem, because it has a sunken screen, and the cover even covers the bezels, so there are two steps down between the cover flap and the screen. This is an advantage of a reader with a non-flush screen, it seems.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #57
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Is the device actually going to sleep when you close the cover? You would only be able to tell by if there is no light leakage around the USB port or the edges of the cover, or if you briefly see the sleep screen when you open the device.

Tests I'd like to see done:

- Let the device auto sleep and not close the cover.
- Let the device auto sleep and then close the cover.
- Use another magnet to get the device to sleep and then close the cover.

What I am thinking of is that there was a problem a while ago where some covers had something that would touch the screen of the device as they closed. This interfered with the sleep in some way. It would appear to sleep, but power was being used.

With the Aura ONE, the cover is touching the screen. Something like the above could be happening and triggering something that is preventing the device from sleeping properly.

Hmmm good considerations. I should add though that wifi was on and I did turn it off. Was at work last night, KA1 is still sleeping. So when I wake up later I'll check power levels.

Regards.

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #58
macjohnmcc
macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!macjohnmcc has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

I cannot imagine that the cover touches the display waking it as I have put it into a tight (not crushing) space in my backpack and it didn't start and drain the battery.

Last edited by macjohnmcc; 10-17-2016 at 11:50 AM.
macjohnmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #59
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjohnmcc View Post
I cannot imagine that the cover touches the display waking it as I have put it into a tight (not crushing) space in my backpack and it didn't start and drain the battery.
I am wondering if this is why on the KA1, people are reporting random page fliips when closing/opening the sleep cover. Possibly when the cover is touching the screen before the magnet triggers the sleep function.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:23 PM   #60
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I am wondering if this is why on the KA1, people are reporting random page fliips when closing/opening the sleep cover. Possibly when the cover is touching the screen before the magnet triggers the sleep function.
But the screen is capacitive touch isn't it, an inanimate object like the cover shouldn't trigger a touch event should it? And yet it seems to do just that.

I find if I let the bottom right part of the cover touch the screen first it goes to sleep fine but if I just flip it closed without paying attention to what part touches the screen first I some times end up with selected text or on a different page, usually forward one page but sometimes back a page, but not seeing the large battery drain some others are seeing (at least not so far since updating to 4.1.7729).
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote