Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #751
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Cex, a fix has been devised. We've asked apprentice harper to post it. Keep an eye out on his github site.
Thanks for letting us know. I just went to his site and manually downloaded the new Obok version. As far as I can tell it's working fine with Kobo Desktop 4.0.5579, both for DRM'd and non-DRM's books.

Thanks to all involved. Much appreciated.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #752
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Yes, the Obok fix is available at GitHub. Not in the official release, but it's there on the code page.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #753
apprenticeharper
Apprentices Against DRM
apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apprenticeharper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Laptop
I've released v6.5.2 at my GitHub repository.

Several changes in this release:
•Update to obok script and plugin to make them work with Kobo Desktop 4.0
•Another fix for new Topaz format tags
•Better checks for XML files in ePub decryption
•Updates to the documentation to point people to my repository
•An attempt to make the Mac Application work more reliably on new installs
apprenticeharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #754
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thought it might be worth repeating/reposting jhowell's warning about the newest version of K4PC (1.19) from another thread...
Quote:
Warning: The new Kindle for PC version will download books in KFX format to enable "enhanced typesetting" as needed for the accessibility software. This is incompatible with existing DRM removal tools.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=282412
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:21 PM   #755
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thought it might be worth repeating/reposting jhowell's warning about the newest version of K4PC (1.19) from another thread...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=282412
Thanks for the heads up. So now if people want to download their books for backup, they will either need to use an old version of KforPC, or they're going to have to send them to their PC for USB download, which means that they will need to have a Kindle device.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #756
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Thanks for the heads up. So now if people want to download their books for backup, they will either need to use an old version of KforPC, or they're going to have to send them to their PC for USB download, which means that they will need to have a Kindle device.

Shari
Amazon has forced updates before so I hope they don't do it soon. I have an eink that I use for USB download, but that's a pain. If they do force updates I may quit buying from them.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #757
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I have an eink that I use for USB download, but that's a pain. If they do force updates I may quit buying from them.
Just don't use USB. As long as you have the device registered on your account, just choose the "transfer via computer" option to do the downloads for de-drm-ing on your computer, and you never even have to have the actual device or have K4PC at all.

(I seem to recall discussing this before. If you have some reason why that way isn't a good workflow for you, I've forgotten it.)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #758
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Just don't use USB. As long as you have the device registered on your account, just choose the "transfer via computer" option to do the downloads for de-drm-ing on your computer, and you never even have to have the actual device or have K4PC at all.

(I seem to recall discussing this before. If you have some reason why that way isn't a good workflow for you, I've forgotten it.)
I don't remember discussing it before. So if I choose transfer via computer it will download it for me? I wasn't going to actually transfer it to the k3. It's just a pain to go to Manage Your Content and Devices, choose the book, choose the device, save as....
Old 01-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #759
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I don't remember discussing it before. So if I choose transfer via computer it will download it for me? I wasn't going to actually transfer it to the k3. It's just a pain to go to Manage Your Content and Devices, choose the book, choose the device, save as....

Yes, if you choose the "transfer via computer" as the "deliver to" you'll get a box to choose which device you intend to transfer it to (if you have more than one device registered, at least) and then the file downloads in your browser, encrypted to work on the device you chose and be used as you see fit.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #760
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yes, if you choose the "transfer via computer" as the "deliver to" you'll get a box to choose which device you intend to transfer it to (if you have more than one device registered, at least) and then the file downloads in your browser, encrypted to work on the device you chose and be used as you see fit.
Thanks! That's much easier.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #761
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Sigh. I've let most of my Amazon books sit in the cloud without processing, figuring I could do it on demand. Now I guess I'll have to do at least one sweep to get the likeliest onto my computer. Quel pain in the tuches. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to read on the Amazon app, but I'd mostly rather not.

Heads up much appreciated.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:44 PM   #762
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Thanks for the heads up. So now if people want to download their books for backup, they will either need to use an old version of KforPC...
As long as it is supported to download using an old version.

And still people doubt me when I say Amazon will be moving everything over to KFX as soon as they can, and allow older formats for direct download on older readers only.

I will not even be surprised if one of the future e-readers has no storage for e-books, and can only read books by downloading the 100 next pages of the currently opened book. Streaming books. Yay. Not. I can hear people calling already. "Do you have proof for that?" Yes. Look at the music and movie world. Look at what's happening in the game world. See the subscription services that only function using their own app. If Amazon and/or Kobo can pull this off, they will do it.

At some point, ADE 2.01 will be kicked and a move to 3.x or 4.x will be required.

I'm so glad I got all the ebooks I've ever wanted / could imagine as soon as I could. Even if I don't buy anything new ever again, my reading material will outlast me my lifetime... thrice.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-05-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #763
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It was bound to happen. I just downloaded the last few freebies today while I still can. So far, no forced upgrade.

Also looking on ebay for a super inexpensive Kindle. Nothing at the moment.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #764
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You can at least disable automatic upgrade in K4PC. How long version 1.17.x will be supported for downloading books is anyone's guess.

If you want to archive 1.17 so you can re-install it as long as it's supported, you can download it at this location. (Direct link to file on Amazon's servers.) Be quick, as it's unknown how long it will be up.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #765
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Also looking on ebay for a super inexpensive Kindle. Nothing at the moment.
You can sometimes get good deals, especially on older stuff like the K2, from Goodwill auctions...
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings...1&ending=Items
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote