Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #121
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Looks like a minor update aside from the display, processor, camera, audio, wifi, software and physical dimensions.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #122
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
No NFC does look like the only significant missed opportunity, but it probably needed Apple to introduce it to make it mainstream, so they may not have missed the boat here. It gives them an obvious feature in the wings for the iPhone 5S.
I think that would make it the iPhone 5N, no?
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #123
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Because I use my brain for decisions instead of letting marketing buzzwords do the work for me?
You mean buzzwords like 'innovation'?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #124
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a good enough upgrade for all those coming to the end of their iPhone 4 contracts, so will sell well. At the end of the day, that's all Apple needed to do. I guess most 4S owners are locked in for another 6 months to a year.

No NFC does look like the only significant missed opportunity, but it probably needed Apple to introduce it to make it mainstream, so they may not have missed the boat here. It gives them an obvious feature in the wings for the iPhone 5S.

Graham
Agreed. No way I was going from 4 to 4s. This is worthwhile upgrade to the 4.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #125
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Moderator Notice
Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person. Refer to the MobileRead Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item. When posting, your attention to the Guidelines is required. Name calling ("fanboy") and insults ("malcontent") are not allowed.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #126
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
This is worthwhile upgrade to the 4.
would you consider the little green robot? why or why not?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #127
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
So they released everything that was rumored to be released and nothing else. Absolutely no surprise announcements...

Well that pretty much cements the iPad mini announcement in October.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #128
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
It's a good enough upgrade for all those coming to the end of their iPhone 4 contracts, so will sell well. At the end of the day, that's all Apple needed to do. I guess most 4S owners are locked in for another 6 months to a year.

Graham
Maybe they "didn't miss the boat", but the specs are underwhelming for Fall of 2012, and this is supposed to be apple's flagship for the next 12-18 months. It is already bested by many phones out there, let alone the ones to come in the following months.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #129
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
would you consider the little green robot? why or why not?
No.

I used to be completely anti-apple - didn't really have a particular reason why, just didn't buy apple products.

I will admit though, ever since the iphone 3g and that nifty app called Remote, Mr. Jobs got me hook, line, and sinker. For years prior I was trying to find a reasonably inexpensive way to control the music playing throughout my house via some sort of remote control.

The Remote app did that and did it well. Of course the 3g was tres cool as well and there was not really anything else like it at the time. I changed my music player to itunes and enjoyed controlling music from my deck or anywhere else in the house.

Now with the ecosystem Jobs built (iTunes/icloud,music match, iphone, ipad, apple tv, airport express) with his products, there can be no turning back for me. I'm invested, but more importantly, everything just works.

I honestly don't know if the same sort of eco-system can be duplicated using a non-apple solution. Perhaps, but I doubt it would be as seamless and even it it were, I have no reason to change.

This said, for reasons I won't get into here, I cannot see my self ever moving to an actual apple computer from a pc.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #130
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean buzzwords like 'innovation'?
No, buzzwords like "retina", "lightning", "airxxx" and such.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #131
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
the specs are underwhelming for Fall of 2012
Quote:
It is already bested by many phones out there
How? to both questions.

Your values are not absolute. I have seen many androiders make that mistake.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #132
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:

Now with the ecosystem Jobs built (iTunes/icloud,music match, iphone, ipad, apple tv, airport express) with his products, there can be no turning back for me. I'm invested, but more importantly, everything just works.

I honestly don't know if the same sort of eco-system can be duplicated using a non-apple solution. Perhaps, but I doubt it would be as seamless and even it it were, I have no reason to change.
my theory holds.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #133
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

androidrs can be funny:

Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #134
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
How? to both questions.

Your values are not absolute. I have seen many androiders make that mistake.
See my previous post listing features. There is nothing revolutionary or even new in this release. To summarize, we have 0.5", a new connector and LTE.

There are phones with better CPUs, bigger screens (in size and pixels), with NFC, with digitizers, ... If you want innovation, look at the features that Sammy added to the S3 and Note2, features that may seem simple (like the StayAwake or the hover to preview items with the digitizer, or making a call by lifting the phone to your ear), but that are extremely useful.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #135
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
Maybe they "didn't miss the boat", but the specs are underwhelming for Fall of 2012, and this is supposed to be apple's flagship for the next 12-18 months. It is already bested by many phones out there, let alone the ones to come in the following months.
You may be right. I honestly don't follow the andriod stuff much so I can't comment on that intelligently. However, to me (call me a fanboy if you want) I really don't care. As I alluded to above, for me it goes beyond just the phone and its specs. It is about the overall ecosystem and how everything just works together. Are there faster andriod phone, sounds like there are. But, reality is, my iphone 4 is plenty fast for what I need.

All this said, the one thing I know everyone talks about is how the screen on the iphone is too small. How the android screens (at leas some of them) are so much bigger.

This is true, but how big a screen do you want on a phone? Now I'm not saying the iphone screen is the perfect size. But this thing still has to fit in my front pocket. Some of the andriod phones I've see are massive. Unless you have a purse or belt clip, I don't see how you comfortably carry some of them around. Or even use them with one hand, for that matter. I suppose like anything you get used to it and adapt.
Closed Thread