Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #166
jclim00
Nameless Being

Anyone in the US been able to upgrade the firmware through syncing yet? This is a little frustrating as I'm used to just downloading the file off B+N's site for my nook's firmware.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #167
fish99
fish99 is on a distinguished road

Device: Touch&Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobenm View Post
Hello, i tried a kobo glo and i'm ready to buy it but i have a problem: the light is too bright in the night.
Is there a mode to invert colors in night mode (letters in white and background in black) whith the new firmware 2.4 on the kobo glo?
Could you tell me if it happens in a futur firmware?
Thanks for your answer.
Benoit (Sorry for my english)
The light has a brightness slider. I use mine on minimum brightness and it's totally fine for a dark room. The one you saw was probably on default brightness, which is around 3x brighter than the minimum.
fish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #168
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclim00 View Post
Anyone in the US been able to upgrade the firmware through syncing yet? This is a little frustrating as I'm used to just downloading the file off B+N's site for my nook's firmware.
We were told by SammerH that the update would be rolled out to a larger community this week, but be aware that this is a holiday in Ontario which is where Kobo's head office is located.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #169
z1984z
z1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura aboutz1984z has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
ascm question

Hello,

I from Brasil, and upgrade to 2.4.0 by sideloading koboRoot.tgz and works fine. I have no problems so far.

I have one question: in Settings, accounts there is a section "ADOBE AUTHORIZATION" with "not logged in". This is a new section? That´s means is possible to use ascm files directly from kobo? I don´t remember this section on 2.3.1/2

thank you and sorry for my bad english.
z1984z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #170
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobenm View Post
Hello, i tried a kobo glo and i'm ready to buy it but i have a problem: the light is too bright in the night.
Is there a mode to invert colors in night mode (letters in white and background in black) whith the new firmware 2.4 on the kobo glo?
Could you tell me if it happens in a futur firmware?
Thanks for your answer.
Benoit (Sorry for my english)
As someone else mentioned, see if it was set to the lowest setting. Some people do find it too bright even when at the lowest setting.

I wouldn't count on invert colour to happen in a future firmware. There has been no indication that it is coming, so it might show up, but don't buy it based on possibility of it coming.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #171
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1984z View Post
Hello,

I from Brasil, and upgrade to 2.4.0 by sideloading koboRoot.tgz and works fine. I have no problems so far.

I have one question: in Settings, accounts there is a section "ADOBE AUTHORIZATION" with "not logged in". This is a new section? That´s means is possible to use ascm files directly from kobo? I don´t remember this section on 2.3.1/2

thank you and sorry for my bad english.
Pretty sure it was there in 2.3.1. I don't think it changes anything, it's just there for information purposes so you know what ADE account you have currently authorized to your device.

Quote:
That´s means is possible to use ascm files directly from kobo?
I assume that you mean being able directly download an ascm file to the Kobo (rather than loading it via ADE)? If that's what you're wondering, no, you still need to use ADE on a computer to load those books onto your device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #172
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Hello,

I have one question: in Settings, accounts there is a section "ADOBE AUTHORIZATION" with "not logged in". This is a new section?
I have the same thing with the 2.3.1 firmware (and actually I don't know how to authorize the device through WIFI but DRMed Kepub work fine).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #173
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can only authorize the device via desktop ADE. Even after that, you can't download books directly, but have to process the ACSM file on desktop ADE and then transfer it to the Kobo via ADE.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #174
Book Monkey
Books Before Bananas!
Book Monkey began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclim00 View Post
I'm in NJ and got the 2.4.0 update 5 days ago: shortly after midnight 2-14-13 EST. It fixed my biggest issue which was jumping back a few pages from where I last left off. I have the Kobo Mini.

However, as I posted earlier, I have not been able to complete a sync ever since. It seems to be downloading everything correctly (haven't compared books marks on iPhone/iPad to confirm it uploads correctly) but the sync just keeps running while "loading content". The reset button on the back did not help so last night I left it syncing with 51% charge on the battery. When I woke up the screeen said it needed to recharge and was completely dead. As soon as I could I checked the drop down from the home screen and it still read last update 2-14-13 12:57am.

Previously, it also said network error when I let it run the sync so maybe it's my 4 (5?) year old wifi router having seen better days. I'll try it again tomorrow from work with a full charge (or plugged into my pc) but if it still doesn't complete I pretty much have to conclude it's a f/w bug.
Book Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #175
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Monkey View Post
Previously, it also said network error when I let it run the sync so maybe it's my 4 (5?) year old wifi router having seen better days. I'll try it again tomorrow from work with a full charge (or plugged into my pc) but if it still doesn't complete I pretty much have to conclude it's a f/w bug.
It's not your router, I had some network errors as well. It might indeed be a firmware bug, however, I can also imagine it's just over-busy Kobo servers as everyone's checking for an update every ten minutes.

On the other hand, the latter does not explain why it's always stuck on "loading content." So really all I can say is: it's not your router
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #176
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You can only authorize the device via desktop ADE. Even after that, you can't download books directly, but have to process the ACSM file on desktop ADE and then transfer it to the Kobo via ADE.
Oh, bad news then. I'm running Linux so I have a version of ADE, but it can't detect my reader. Yesterday, I also gave a try to Kobo desktop (through wine), it got the new version but it's stuck trying to load contents and once again the reader is not detected. I'll wait to see if the books can be downloaded in a couple of weeks, once the servers will be done with the new firmware.
I guess that's one more reader I won't be able to use to rent library books

I'll stop here with the off topic
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #177
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Just a friendly reminder. While sideloading a new update package might work just fine when you do it, sometimes it will not work and might result in undesirable behaviour. I recommend waiting for the update to be made available to your unit.

Sideload new updates at your own risk
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #178
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Oh, bad news then. I'm running Linux so I have a version of ADE, but it can't detect my reader. Yesterday, I also gave a try to Kobo desktop (through wine), it got the new version but it's stuck trying to load contents and once again the reader is not detected. I'll wait to see if the books can be downloaded in a couple of weeks, once the servers will be done with the new firmware.
I guess that's one more reader I won't be able to use to rent library books

I'll stop here with the off topic
If you are using ubuntu, you might want to try this:
(under the section: Using an eReader with ADE)
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=43373

In my case, I'd installed ADE using winetricks and the basic way didn't work, but I followed the advice of Carl Hage (1st comment in the comments below) and that worked for me....which for the same reasons made me extremely happy.

I don't know much about other versions of linux, but considering it's probably the same reason that it can't find it mounted...you could always try a similar thing.

Oh, and after that process, always be sure you plug in your kobo before opening ADE...it finds it if you do that, but iirc, it doesn't find it if you plug it in AFTER you've started ADE. So I dl the library book, close ADE plug in my reader and reopen ADE. Though obviously plugging in your reader first off would also work...I just never think to.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #179
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Sideload new updates at your own risk
Evidently.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #180
jhuynh
Enthusiast
jhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That still happens but to me, it is more a feature than a bug. If I accidentally wake up the Glo and then do nothing, it goes back to sleep instead of staying awake for whatever length the timeout is set for. Kind of reminds me of the way that if I unlock my car doors with the remote and then don't open a door within 30 seconds, they relock.

Regards,
David
I don't see how it's a feature in this case compared to the car analogy. When you open the sleep cover you expect to just be able to read it like a book. If you stopped near the top of the page and have a relatively small font there is no way you will be touching the screen before it times out and locks. I'm not sure but I haven't seen any official sleep cover from Kobo that doesn't have a strap to keep the cover from opening up. Also, why duplicate the functionality of the timeout setting? What you described is exactly what the timeout setting is for!

I know it's a really small thing to have to touch the screen when you open the cover but it is a very annoying bug when you don't do it and have to turn it back on.

Think about it. If you don't have a sleep cover it takes 1 step to turn it on(use the power switch). If you have the sleep cover it takes 2 steps (open cover and touch the screen to prevent sleep). Why would anyone want to get a sleep cover in this case?
jhuynh is offline   Reply With Quote