Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 03:25 AM   #16
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Considering this issue has been there since... well, since the first SONY readers, I would not hold my breath.

It's not that I don't think it being a legitimate complaint. While I don't see the need for so many books on a device, it is one of the main advertising points. But it has never worked - every SONY device has fallen apart once you try to load 1000+ books. Or, at least, slowed to a crawl.

Try annotating, if you really want to get pissed. A couple of hundred notes kill my PRS950.
Doh you mean that sony still maintain all the highlight in one file? I cannot believe that.. i hope you are wrong stating that video can get pissed highlighting, was not this issue already solved on t1?

Anyway I have 754 books and yesterday crashed, if I have wi fi opened:bookworm

GUYS, Sony must to deal with Kindle paperwhite that looks awesome, I think is up to them to use the special updatee so run an official android version and continuous improvement of the bugs considering that a lot of people are interested in that.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #17
Mountain
Mountain began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Even on my PRS-T2 the same thing happens.
I found an uncomfortable and temporary resolution to the problem.
Rename the collection so that falls on the first page (example from "Fiction" to "aaaFinction").
It is in my opinion a real bug.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #18
Mountain

Even on my PRS-T2 the same thing happens.
I found an uncomfortable and temporary resolution to the problem.
Rename the collection so that falls on the first page (example from "Fiction" to "aaaFinction").
It is in my opinion a real bug.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Answer is very simple... we want a pocket library NOT a pocket book... I don't want to choose what I feel like reading before I go anywhere, I want to choose my reading when I'm ready to read... and I have 25K items on my Sony with no problems at all but I also choose to stick with dedicated eReaders (505, 600, 650) all using PRS+ and at one books a day that would take me 68.5 years to go but you're assuming everything is some huge standard book length... I've got lots of short stories and books and read multiples in a day so it's not going to take that long... and I'm not too worried about reading everything I have, I just grab anything that I might enjoy reading, doesn't mean I have to read it but does give me the choice... I'm also planning on taking my eReader(s) with me...
I like to read in bed, on the bus etc. At 1AM I do not want to get out of bed to sideload or browse for something to read for just a little while longer.

It is a luxury for me to always have many choices.

A month or so back I put as many books (some audio) as would fit in main memory just to see how it handled them. Seems fine, maybe slower maybe not.

I have had far fewer crashes and random page turns since. Coincidence probably, or maybe because I just use charger now.

Sorry was on T1

Last edited by speakingtohe; 09-18-2012 at 05:58 AM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Answer is very simple... we want a pocket library NOT a pocket book... I don't want to choose what I feel like reading before I go anywhere, I want to choose my reading when I'm ready to read... and I have 25K items on my Sony with no problems at all but I also choose to stick with dedicated eReaders (505, 600, 650) all using PRS+ and at one books a day that would take me 68.5 years to go but you're assuming everything is some huge standard book length... I've got lots of short stories and books and read multiples in a day so it's not going to take that long... and I'm not too worried about reading everything I have, I just grab anything that I might enjoy reading, doesn't mean I have to read it but does give me the choice... I'm also planning on taking my eReader(s) with me...

If you want this sort of storage on a T1/2 then I guess you need to Root it and use a third party reader that will access the card as files/folders directly...
Makes perfect sense. I still default to the days of my youth, when I thought owning a hundred books was a big deal. (back then, I also thought ten dollars was a lot of money haha) I have a few hundred of varying genres on my Kindle, most of them freebies.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: none
Try adding an empty file named .nomedia to directories not containing ebook files, especially to Sony_Reader\database\cache\books where all the cover thumbnails are stored. The T2 seems to scan here which seems causing problems.

Worked for me.
ebmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #22
Mountain

@ebmr
Could you be more specific?
Are interested in the problem because I have a Sony T2 with that defect.
thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #23
ebmr
Zealot
ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.ebmr is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
@ebmr
Could you be more specific?
What more information do you need?

Connect your T2 via USB to your computer, change to directory Sony_Reader\database\cache\books on the READER drive and create a file named .nomedia there (or copy the one from Sony_Reader\database).

It fixed my problem with the ContentService crashing every time I was trying to add to or to delete any of my about 1200 ebooks.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #24
ebmr
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
9250 files!!! WHY?????
Why not? The device accepts a 32 GB SD card which could hold far more files.

There is only few information on the book files in a database, so a few thousand entries shouldn't be a problem at all.

The only problem might be the cover thumbnails which seemed to be stored in a single directory.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #25
Mountain

I tried to copy the file (that is 0 bytes) but I did not get any positive results.
The flaw in my case is perhaps a bit 'different.
I own 150 books in 12 collections: 9 on the first page and 3 in the second.
I can not access any collection of the second page (the tenth collection onwards). However, if you rename it - for example - the eleventh collection in order to pass it to the first page, then I can access this collection. Obviously another collection passes from the first to the second page, and then becomes inaccessible.
Tanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
I tried to copy the file (that is 0 bytes) but I did not get any positive results.
I own 150 books in 12 collections: 9 on the first page and 3 in the second.
I can not access any collection of the second page (the tenth collection onwards). However, if you rename it - for example - the eleventh collection in order to pass it to the first page, then I can access this collection. Obviously another collection passes from the first to the second page, and then becomes inaccessible.
Tanks.
It seems to be the last page of collections that is the problem? I have 5 pages of collections and I can access all of them fine apart from the ones on the last page (5 of 5). Maybe creating dummy collections at the end of the alphabet and making sure that only they are on the last page would work?

Just tried the above (adding dummy collections) and it seems to work. Adding the .nomedia file to directory Sony_Reader\database\cache\books didn't.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 10-05-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Adding the .nomedia file to directory Sony_Reader\database\cache\books didn't.
Didn't work for me, either.

I have 23 pages of collections, and have trouble getting one to open once in a while. Usually if I go back a second time it'll open fine.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
ebmr
Zealot

Quote:
Seems like that.

The interesting thing about the additional .nomedia is that I can't see why it would make any difference. Either these files act recursively, then it should be pointless because there's already one in Sony_Reader\database or it doesn't act like this, then the additional one is pointless as well since there are only subdirectories under Sony_Reader\database\cache\books.

Anyway, without it I couldn't add or delete books, now it works again.

BTW, I too have five pages of collections and got the ContentService crash at the first collection on page 5 just now. A second attempt then succeeded. It seems that there are quite some bugs in the T2 software.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
It seems to be the last page of collections that is the problem? I have 5 pages of collections and I can access all of them fine apart from the ones on the last page (5 of 5). Maybe creating dummy collections at the end of the alphabet and making sure that only they are on the last page would work?

Just tried the above (adding dummy collections) and it seems to work. Adding the .nomedia file to directory Sony_Reader\database\cache\books didn't.
I agree. It seems to be a problem with the last page of collections on the T2. In my case it is the 6th page. I have fewer collections and books loaded so far on my T2 compared to my T1. I never had this issue on the T1.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #30
Mountain

Problem solved by creating a series of false (dummy) collections so that there is a "last" page collections. This "last" page will be inaccessible, but no matter: ALL collections are false, empty, dummy.
In practice with Calibre I filled the field "tag" with "finction, Z1, Z2, Z2, Z4, Z5, Z6, Z7, Z8" for a single book to which I access the collection "finction".
Many thanks to all