Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #76
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I just started Ready Player One only a few chapters in and I can already tell I'm going to love it
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #77
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski, narrated by Richard Poe. I'm only two hours or so in, but so far I like it. Richard Poe does a very good job, particularly with the characters.

I've been on again, off again about reading this book, so thought that the audio version during my work commute would help foster a commitment!
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #78
Mobile_Reader
Mobile_Reader began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I'm 2/3 through "Steve Jobs" by Walter Isaacson, version made by Audible. I like it a lot, even that it loses a bit of impact in the mid section (it's over 24 hours long in total). The narration is very good, and especially amusing when Steve Wozniak is 'played'.

Looking forward to the remaining 1/3rd despite of the well-known ending.

I also like the fact that it's not a book which glorifies Steve, I would often think: 'genius! but what a pain it would be to deal with him'.

Last edited by Mobile_Reader; 01-04-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Mobile_Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #79
paulak39
Connoisseur
paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.paulak39 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: IpadAir; IpadMini2; FireHDX8.9; Kindle Voyage
I recently finished two audiobooks, borrowed from the library: "The Impossible Dead", Ian Rankin, and "The Drop", Michael Connelly. Enjoyed them both.
paulak39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #80
Lizzie in Ma
Connoisseur
Lizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to allLizzie in Ma is a name known to all

Device: Nook, Kindle 3, Vizio 8" tablet runn and Samsung Galaxy running Aldiko
The superlative Rob Inglais reading me the Two Towers.
Lizzie in Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #81
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I'm listening to Stories I only Tell My Friends (Autobiography) by Robb Lowe that I picked up free, when it was posted in our Deals forum.

Robb Lowe narrates it and I am enjoying all the little stories he tells about parts of parts of his life as he grows up in in the industry.
This book is in my Audible wish list! I'm sad I missed the freebie.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #82
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ack!! Serious crisis!! My iPod died on the way to work this morning, and I'm already completed hooked on The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. <sigh, sniff> Guess I'm shopping this w/e, because I sure can't live without my audiobooks.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #83
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by victauria View Post
Ack!! Serious crisis!! My iPod died on the way to work this morning, and I'm already completed hooked on The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. <sigh, sniff> Guess I'm shopping this w/e, because I sure can't live without my audiobooks.
I have three audiobook devices (not including some audio material on my e-reader).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #84
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
Steig Larsson first two novels! I love them.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #85
victauria
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I have three audiobook devices (not including some audio material on my e-reader).
Very good planning. I intend to follow your lead and get a back up as well as a replacement. I figure some of the refurb models will do nicely for that.

In the meantime, it was a rough ride this morning. I guess Edgar Sawtelle is going to have to carry on without me for another day or so
Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #86
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Anything 'smart' with a headphone jack can be an audiobook player. Even if your book has Audible DRM, you can play it on anything running Windows, OSX, iOS or Android. My main players are my PC, Nook Color, and Android Phone.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #87
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I listen to a fair amount of stuff with WMA format DRM; I prefer devices that fit in my pocket (like the Sansa Clip series).
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #88
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
My phone works well enough for me when I don't want more than I can carry in my pocket, particularly because it will be there anyway. I can see how it would be a battery drain for someone who spent more time on their phone than I do, and DRM can be a hassle on a phone that's not Android/iOS.

I've been thinking about getting my old video iPod repaired for months, but there's no niche for it anymore--no gap it would fill. I can't see dropping it in my pocket when I could just use my phone.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #89
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I use my iPhone as my primary audio book device when I'm NOT in the pool, but when I'm swimming, I have a third generation iPod with a waterproof case. When that iPod dies, I have a spare one, just in case. Since finding a replacement for the waterproof case is much harder than just finding another old iPod on eBay.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #90
victauria
Grand Sorcerer

I really like all these different ideas for getting the words from the source to the ears.

I've got an iPod Touch ordered, and will then have to prioritize some back-ups. At this point, I have no "smarts," so can't take advantage of the various devices that would have saved my commute (not to mention the speed bump to my 2012 Reading Challenge!).

In the meantime, going old school: library, borrow discs, drive.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations