Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
bricked my cybook

Hello all,

I have read this forum for some time now and know you all have the best ideas and resources to fix problems. So I hoping you can help me, too.

I have and use my cybook since November. Until today I only experienced the occasional hang during a dictionary lookup. I still have the old build of the boo reader. Today I tried to turn the device on while the battery level was very low. It did turn on but did not displayed the files in the SD card. I took the SD card out and re-inserted it, but the device just hang. I used the reset button and turned it on again without the card. It went to the checkered page.

I re-set it again and went home. Here I have connected it to the USB and it is loading. When I tried to turn it on after a while of loading it went to the splash screen with the image of the smaller black cybook and stayed there with the LED constantly on.

Has any of you an idea what I can do?

Thanks, AJ.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
bøø
bøø began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Cybook Gen3
Hi, the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was reading, turned the cybook of, and when I turned it on again I got the screen with the "bricks". The battery was not low, and the cybook hasn't been connected to the computer in a week or so. I tried resetting it, charging it, removing the SD card and connecting it to the computer. It now displays the screen with the little book with the dots and nothing happens.
My computer does not recognize it

Up until yesterday I haven't experienced any problems at all - and I already miss it

I have mailed bookeen and hope that they will come back to me soon, but with Easter....

Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks
Bøø

Last edited by bøø; 03-17-2008 at 03:18 PM.
bøø is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I got the checkered page when the system could not be read (I tried to format the internal drive as ext2 but it did not work).

If this is the problem the easiest way to solve it is to get the firmware reinstallation instructions from Bookeen or from somebody here.

Otherwise you could try to mount the internal drive when it hangs and copy your backuped system files to it. If that does not work you can reformat it and then copy the files back.

If you use linux and need to repartition it then create one partition and set the type to "b". Then use mkfs.vfat to build the file system.

If you do not have a backup of the system files here they are both for the original firmware and for the latest build:

http://egad.dyndns.org/cybook/
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Thank you all.

I was able to resurrect my Cybook with a firmware re-flash, that one of you made possible. It is well and good now and I'm very happy. That were some very scary hours but your help was very fast.

You are the best.

AJ
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
bøø
bøø began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Cybook Gen3
Thank you Tompe!

I am not able to view the file structure of the Cybook when I plug it into my computer

I guess I will have to wait for bookeen to reply - hopefully soon.

bøø
bøø is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #6
Lisangel
Lisangel began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Motorola Smart Phone
I am in the same boat with my reader and after making take out battery, reset and several other useless ideas, Bookeen sent me this e-mail.

Dear Ms,

The backplane of your display is seemingly broken or defective.

For information, broken parts are not covered by the warranty and the display is unfortunately the most expensive component of the device.

If you wish, we can nonetheless propose a display replacement.

This operation costs 100€ (parts and labor included) + shipping.

If you are interested, here is the Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) procedure to follow…

$100 euros to fix a device I've had since Christmas and because it is made in France, I have no resources to back up any complaints against the company.
Bricked is screwed my friend.
Lisangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisangel View Post
For information, broken parts are not covered by the warranty and the display is unfortunately the most expensive component of the device.
This are not the rules inside EU at least.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In all reasonableness, if Bookeen have determined that the problem with your Gen3 is a fractured screen substrate (the thin glass layer under the plastic screen) you can't expect a warranty replacement. That kind of damage is caused by a mechanical impact to the device; it's not a "fault". €100 to replace the screen is a pretty reasonable charge - less than half the cost of the machine. It's very unfortunate, but these devices are delicate and do need to be treated with care!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisangel View Post
The backplane of your display is seemingly broken or defective.

For information, broken parts are not covered by the warranty
"Broken" parts maybe aren't, but "defective" parts are. If you drop your Cybook and it breaks, you're out of luck, you'd need an assurance, not a warranty. But if it just stopped working with normal operation... that's what warranty is for.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
This are not the rules inside EU at least.
A warranty covers parts which break spontaneously, not things which are broken by the user. If you have a new window installed in your house, and someone kicks a football through it, you wouldn't expect the glazing company to replace the window under warranty, would you? That's effectively what's happened here - screen substrates don't just "break" on their own; it's the result of a blow or torsion to the screen.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A warranty covers parts which break spontaneously, not things which are broken by the user. If you have a new window installed in your house, and someone kicks a football through it, you wouldn't expect the glazing company to replace the window under warranty, would you? That's effectively what's happened here - screen substrates don't just "break" on their own; it's the result of a blow or torsion to the screen.
Yes, of course. I read backplane as the electronics. Not the glass.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Question for the owner of said machine: Did you get funny lines, or distorted or blank areas on the screen, or did the whole thing just go dead?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
That's too bad :(

Lisangel,

I am very sorry for your situation -- I think this breakage issue is a big problem for the current round of e-ink readers. Any talk of trying to get such devices into the hands of students is completely irrelevant until they are made much sturdier (I'm a teacher.)

The other night I was reading in bed, set the Cybook down for a sec, and my miniature dachshund stepped on the screen as he was moving around the bed -- I was so freaked out! Turned out it was okay, but still, something this fragile is going to have to be improved before the masses are willing to shell out the kind of money these things cost right now.

Lelah

"A plebe with an expensive toy"
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmarie View Post
The other night I was reading in bed, set the Cybook down for a sec, and my miniature dachshund stepped on the screen as he was moving around the bed -- I was so freaked out! Turned out it was okay, but still, something this fragile is going to have to be improved before the masses are willing to shell out the kind of money these things cost right now.
In fairness it's no more fragile than a laptop - any LCD screen has exactly the same kind of glass substrate that an eInk screen does. Perhaps, however, a laptop's screen is somewhat better protected since it's on the "inside" when the machine is closed.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In fairness it's no more fragile than a laptop - any LCD screen has exactly the same kind of glass substrate that an eInk screen does. Perhaps, however, a laptop's screen is somewhat better protected since it's on the "inside" when the machine is closed.
Which is why I went ahead and *BOUGHT* a Fellowes Travel Folio from the online Target store. As I didn't get the Bookeen softcover case - yet! - I figured I'd avoid any repeat of my 'dropping the Cybook' incident with this very *NICE* zippered case. And it only cost $14.95 (plus s&h)!

Derek
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3402.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	11617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3406.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	11618  
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote