Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Mojoman
Enthusiast
Mojoman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Need help with softrooted Nook

My Nooks been softrooted for about a week now and everything WAS going fine except for trying to get the custom icons working. Well I gave up on that and was back to just enjoying the Nook for reading books. Today my wifi suddenly stopped working when I went to check out the nook market, and then tried to connect to the web. Not able to connect to the network. All my other devices work off the router fine so I know it's not that. I even tried the B&N store, to no avail. The 3g connection worked fine though. I opened appmanager just to look at something and it locked up on that app. Nothing worked to get it back to the home screen. I shut it down and rebooted and now the eink screen and lcd are black. I have the banner at the top showing the time and battery status. If the unit sits the screensaver comes on and when I hit the power button to wake it up it goes back to the black screen. I shut it down and did a battery pull a couple times and still the same.
HELP!!!! What do I do now? If I plug in the usb cable the yellow light comes on but it doesn't connect to the computer. This is an older nook, not one of the newer ones giving people problems with the softroot.
Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
You need to get it so the time and battery status are showing

Then press the "Nook" button in the centre of the black strip betwen e-ink and LCD displays.
That should fix it.

When using appmanager to exit you also press the "Nook" button.
It didn't lock up, you just didn't know how to exit.

I usually then use taskmanager to close any unwanted running apps.

If in trouble, always try the "Nook" button first.

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 08-17-2010 at 04:13 AM.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Mojoman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
You need to get it so the time and battery status are showing

Then press the "Nook" button in the centre of the black strip betwen e-ink and LCD displays.
That should fix it.

When using appmanager to exit you also press the "Nook" button.
It didn't lock up, you just didn't know how to exit.

I usually then use taskmanager to close any unwanted running apps.

If in trouble, always try the "Nook" button first.
That's not the trouble I'm having. The time and battery status are showing at the top. The eink screen is completely black along with the lcd. The nook button does nothing when pushed. There is no response at all except pushing the power button to shut it off. Yesterday at least after it would go to sleep I could push the power button to wake it up and bring back the black screen, today after 3 battery pulls, the screen goes to screensaver after 30 seconds and it will not wake up and return to the black screen. All I can do is shut it off. I need help, badly!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Mojoman
Enthusiast

My Nook is back!! I got some info on another forum and it worked. I put the softroot file back on the external sd card using my computer and a reader, then re-rooted the nook. Worked like a charm! Back up and running!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Glad to see you got it fixed.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
technocrats
technocrats began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoman View Post
My Nook is back!! I got some info on another forum and it worked. I put the softroot file back on the external sd card using my computer and a reader, then re-rooted the nook. Worked like a charm! Back up and running!
Mojoman, I'm having this same problem. 2.4.1 rooted Nook, black home screen. The screen saver will kick in, and I can access it via ADB, but nothing seems to fix it. I have not updated or added any applications, only what 2.4.1 installs by default. I finally got it back to 1.0.0 and went back through the root process to 2.4.1 with a freshly downloaded build, but after about a day I'm back to the same black home screen. Any ideas? My serial number begins with 1002...

Thanks!
technocrats is offline   Reply With Quote