Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #46
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Hi, yes, I know of the risks, lol. Only thing is, the exact same file worked one time, and created the error the next time.

I can enter recovery mode, and when I push "R" (reboot) it simply does just that, reboots. From there it can enter Recovery mode, or just come up with the error screen, "Your Kindle Need Repair."

If I reformat the Kindle flash drive, it takes a little longer to boot up, but still just comes up with the error screen.

I was able to get a replacement (actually Amazon customer service is amazing). My one concern, do I dare try to install custom fonts again?

When it enter this state, you can enter Recovery mode, but NO updates are accepted in recovery mode. As far as I know, not even the Amazon updates are accepted (that's if I could even find a Kindle International BIN file).

Just a curious question. How did the Anti-Brick help me in this case? Or, how could it have helped me? It seems I'm not the only one who's had this problem, and so far, all forum questions have been left without any answer or resolution.
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #47
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

New Kindle arrived. I installed the Jailbreak, Anti-Brick, Screen-saver, and a custom Georgia Unicode hack font that I made (I used the liberation and replaced all 12 font files with the corresponding 4 Georgia font files, Normal, Bold, Italic, BoldItalic). I was nervous on that last one, but all worked fine. Now, I am not going to touch a thing!

I tried copying the factory files back to the bricked Kindle, and that did nothing. It's something in the inaccessible part of the flash memory.

If someone could eventually create an update BIN file that works in Recovery Mode to bring it back to factory, that would be awesome.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #48
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge777 View Post
Just a curious question. How did the Anti-Brick help me in this case? Or, how could it have helped me? It seems I'm not the only one who's had this problem, and so far, all forum questions have been left without any answer or resolution.
The Anti-Brick will call a script file located on the USB disk ; so if you screwed things up, you always have the chance to fix it the proper way...

You're likely wrote a wrong package which modify stuff it shouldn't modify and doesn't let you restore it...

You should install the usb network package and log on your machine and check what your package modified that it wasn't supposed to.

Because if it happened before, it will happen again..

Better properly restore what you've modified and analyse your font package...
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #49
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Georgia Font Hack - Kindle 2 International

Here is the font hack for the Kindle 2 International, using the Georgia Fonts (the same ones included for free with every OS). The Jailbreak is needed first of course. The files installed fine on my Kindle International, but I take no responsibility for your own since all hacks, especially the font hack, are always at risk to brick your Kindle.

Included in the ZIP file attachment are the install and uninstall BIN files. This includes the Normal, Bold, Italic, and Bold-Italic. I didn't created the K2iex BIN (which doesn't require a jailbreak) because I haven't tested it. This file has been installed and works fine (for me - as always, this is at your own risk). Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Georgia Font Hack - Kindle International.zip (1.16 MB, 371 views)

Last edited by edge777; 11-16-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #50
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge777 View Post
Here is the font hack for the Kindle 2 International, using the Georgia Fonts (the same ones included for free with every OS). The Jailbreak is needed first of course. The files installed fine on my Kindle International, but I take no responsibility for your own since all hacks, especially the font hack, are always at risk to brick your Kindle.

Included in the ZIP file attachment are the install and uninstall BIN files. This includes the Normal, Bold, Italic, and Bold-Italic. Have fun!
If you use version 0.5 of the packager; then there's no need for the "jailbreak"
You may want to repackage them using the -k2iex switch
Old 11-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #51
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
If you use version 0.5 of the packager; then there's no need for the "jailbreak"
You may want to repackage them using the -k2iex switch
I thought of doing that, but haven't tested that file. This one is on my Kindle, so I already know it's working and safe.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #52
jyavenard
Zealot

The way the packager 0.5 works is jailbreak your device, install the package, remove the jailbreak...

So if your installer/uninstaller works with -k2i, it will work with -k2iex

Just make sure you don't do any reboot and the like in the installer script, because then it prevents the jailbreak to be removed ...
Old 11-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #53
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

It's just the UFC hack posted on BlogKindle, replacing the Liberation fonts with the Georgia fonts. Any danger in keeping the Jailbreak on the device?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #54
rmclachlan
rmclachlan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Been trying to get the custom font hack to work. Anyone got a step by step guide onhow to install and run this? Problem is probably openssl installation, but at the moment nothing works.

2 questions:
- how to install openssl to work with Python
- where should the unicode_font_hack directory be located
rmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #55
jyavenard
Zealot

yes, with the packager 0.5, the jailbreak replaces Amazon's default signing certificate, temporarily.
If you don't let the package finish its job, Amazon's certificate has been removed and you won't be able to install Amazon's official packages in the future.

The way the packager 0.5 does is:
-Jailbreak by replacing Amazon's default certificate
-Run the package installer
-Restore Amazon's default certificate

If your package installer reboots (like what Savory was 0.06 doing), the default amazon certificate isn't restored.

Running the freekindle uninstaller however, would restore everything properly
Old 11-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #56
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmclachlan View Post
Been trying to get the custom font hack to work. Anyone got a step by step guide onhow to install and run this? Problem is probably openssl installation, but at the moment nothing works.

2 questions:
- how to install openssl to work with Python
- where should the unicode_font_hack directory be located
Why would you need openssl for a font hack?
Why would need python with a font hack?

none of them ships with the kindle anyway.

Get the unicode package from a site that you now works .
blogkindle.com has good step by steps instructions on how to do it
Old 11-17-2009, 04:54 AM   #57
rmclachlan
rmclachlan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I want to install my own fonts not those in the prepackaged .bin files. Surely you need python to do this? I was under the impression that to use the Kindle_update_tool.py that as you state

"OpenSSL must be installed ; and the openssl binary must be in your path."

Edge777 must have used the Unicode_Font_Hack with python to create his Georgia .bin install file. Just looking for some pointers on this matter.
rmclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #58
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmclachlan View Post
I want to install my own fonts not those in the prepackaged .bin files. Surely you need python to do this? I was under the impression that to use the Kindle_update_tool.py that as you state

"OpenSSL must be installed ; and the openssl binary must be in your path."

Edge777 must have used the Unicode_Font_Hack with python to create his Georgia .bin install file. Just looking for some pointers on this matter.
Ok.

I thought you meant how to install python on the Kindle itself...
It depends if you are using a Windows PC, Linux or a mac.
On a linux and a mac, it's all there by default.

On Windows :
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+%20openssl
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #59
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

At the bottom of this blog (http://blogkindle.com/unicode-fonts-hack/) - you can download the source code, insert your own fonts, and use Python to create the BIN (or just use the CMD file if you're on Windows). Careful though, you mess up on the fonts, you brick your Kindle (speaking from experience).
Old 11-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #60
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic

UFC Font Hack - Georgia Font - Kindle 2 International (-k2iex version)

Here's the UFC Hack font using the Georgia font (normal, bold, italic and bold-italic). This is the EX version that does not require a pre-jailbreak (jailbreak is included in the BIN file).

I have not tested this file, but used the exact same font files as in the non-EX (one above that requires jailbreak), which I have installed on my Kindle 2 International, so I'm guessing all is okay. Remember, all this is always at your own risk.

Below are a couple of screen shots (looks better on the Kindle, and this is with a line spacing of 7). This is a ZIP file since the largest BIN allowed as an attachment is 1 MB. Unzip, drag the BIN file to the root folder of your Kindle 2 International, and UPGRADE your Kindle from Menu, Settings, Settings (don't reboot). If you install this update, please post your results. Enjoy.

Attached Files
File Type: zip update_ufh_georgia_install-k2iex.bin.zip (1.15 MB, 351 views)