Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
United Nations: Universal Declaration of Human Rights. v1.0 3 Oct 2010

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) is a milestone document in the history of human rights. Drafted by representatives with different legal and cultural backgrounds from all regions of the world, the Declaration was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in Paris on 10 December 1948 General Assembly resolution 217 A (III) (French) (Spanish) as a common standard of achievements for all peoples and all nations. It sets out, for the first time, fundamental human rights to be universally protected.

Source:
http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Pages/L...spx?LangID=eng
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

Last edited by dhume01; 10-04-2010 at 10:49 AM.
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks very much for uploading this. I think it is one of the most valuable documents ever published.

I'd like to make other UN documents available as ebooks; could you outline please how you went about it? I do make my ePubs by hand, which means starting from text or reasonable HTML, but though I have an HTML version of the one I'd like to do the HTML is so complex it would take hours just to make the document workable.

I presume all UN documents which are publicly available are in the Public Domain?

Regards, Alex

Last edited by AlexBell; 10-04-2010 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
A very important document (along w/ the Magna Carta and the U.S. Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights &c.)

Interestingly, there's a lovely version in 4 languages written out by Prof. Hermann Zapf which showcases why there will always be paper --- it's showcased in D. Miner's _2,000 Years of Calligraphy_. Unfortunately, I couldn't find an image of this on-line. Well worth looking up in a library though.

Similarly, I couldn't resist getting a facsimile copy of the Goddard broadside 2-column version of The Declaration of Independence when it became available the other year.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks very much for uploading this. I think it is one of the most valuable documents ever published.

I'd like to make other UN documents available as ebooks; could you outline please how you went about it? I do make my ePubs by hand, which means starting from text or reasonable HTML, but though I have an HTML version of the one I'd like to do the HTML is so complex it would take hours just to make the document workable.

I presume all UN documents which are publicly available are in the Public Domain?

Regards, Alex
Yes, I was quite surprised that it wasn't on mobileread or project gutenberg. I've added the source of the epub to my original post; this wikipage summarizes what UN documents are in the public domain:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Univer...f_Human_Rights
1. Official records (proceedings of conferences, verbatim and summary records, ...)
2. United Nations documents issued with a UN symbol
3. Public information material designed primarily to inform the public about United Nations activities (not including public information material that is offered for sale).

Also this has some more technical specifics on copyright and UN docs: http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UND...df?OpenElement

For making epubs, I try to save my sanity by using Atlantis Word Processor. It functions like Microsoft Word, and you can output to epub. They have a free fully functional trial at their website: http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/. Sigil is another possibility, but I found Atlantis far easier to use for creation.
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks, I'll check those references. I actually have Atlantis, and like it, but I'd still rather do it by hand.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote