Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
My next reading challenge

I am halfway through my summer reading challenge to read 50 books. I think when it is done I will do a reading challenge to read 50 more, but all of them will be uploads from here. I so appreciate the labour of love involved in uploading the books here and making sure they are formatted so nicely! I think the uploaders here will appreciate getting comments from people who read and enjoy.

I have some Fictionwise buys to get through right now first because they represent a large category of unread titles in my catalogue right now, and I *paid* for them But come September, anyone want to join me in a 'read books from here' challenge?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
Hey Ficbot, I think I want to play, but I normally only read about 1 to 1.5 books a week so 50 sounds like a lot to me. I do love reading books from here. Almost everything on my reader has come from Mobileread. How would you work the challenge?
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I'm trying to read 75 books this year. and I'm a sloooow reader about 150 wpm.

I've read 43 so far
http://www.librarything.com/catalog_...&view=andybaby
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:40 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Working the challenge: well, it for you, really. You just set a goal and then report in periodically on how you're doing My goal is going to be 50 books from here between September and Christmas (I want to finish my summer challenge first). Your goal could be some other amount/timeline. As long as it's about books from here, it's on-topic.

For my other 'main hobby with huge message board' (collecting/using fitness dvds) we have all sorts of check-ins and challenges. Some are more specific (people using a specific set or instructor) and some are more general. But I find when I join one, I enjoy the camaraderie of others doing the same type of thing. So I announced my summer reading goal, and while it did not take off into a huge thing, necessarily, there are a few others checking in from time to time, and I enjoy that.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Working the challenge: well, it for you, really. You just set a goal and then report in periodically on how you're doing My goal is going to be 50 books from here between September and Christmas (I want to finish my summer challenge first). Your goal could be some other amount/timeline. As long as it's about books from here, it's on-topic.

For my other 'main hobby with huge message board' (collecting/using fitness dvds) we have all sorts of check-ins and challenges. Some are more specific (people using a specific set or instructor) and some are more general. But I find when I join one, I enjoy the camaraderie of others doing the same type of thing. So I announced my summer reading goal, and while it did not take off into a huge thing, necessarily, there are a few others checking in from time to time, and I enjoy that.
Ah yes -- I joined your summer challenge and I'm enjoying seeing how others are doing. As you suggested, I set my own goal -- using your dates. I think a "read from here" challenge is great. I'm probably going to set a very low number for that one, though, as I must keep up with the paper books from my book-swapping group. I'll decide come September!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
This sounds like fun. I think I'll keep my count about the same (1 -1.5 per week) but impose some requirement on myself about trying new authors. And genres, and maybe timeframes. Good way to make me broaden up a bit!

Last edited by Katiesue; 07-29-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Andy, Baby, slow is good. I've been reading a lot recently, which for my slow brain translates to 3 and 1/2 whole books so far this summer. I read slowly and savor every syllable.

The thing is, it isn't how long it is or how fast you go, but instead it is about how deeply you into it you allow yourself to go.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:38 AM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm completely overwhelmed by my TBR "pile." I have 300 books to read, and work/grad school interferes with my reading time. A lot of the books on my pile are from MR. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to upload a book.

The challenge sounds like a great way to make a dent in my pile, but I'm afraid I won't have much time for pleasure reading until my thesis is done (I'm aiming for January).
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote