Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
For truly shocking (not checked if they're availble as ebooks) anything by Jack Ketchum or Joe R Lansdale - I'd particularly recommend Ketchum's The Girl Next Door and Lansdale's Short Story collection On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert with Dead Folks.

Again, not available in ebook, but the best Vampire novel written since Salem's Lot - John Ajvide Lindqvist's - Let the Right One In - is worth getting hold of.

I see you have a Kindle 2, so here's a few:

Dan Simmons's Brood (looks great, and he's a good writer) - http://www.amazon.com/Drood-A-Novel/...=pd_sim_kinc_3

Richard Matheson's Hell House - (anything by Matheson is worth reading) http://www.amazon.com/Hell-House-ebo...2781850&sr=1-2

Loads of Richard Laymon here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ki...laymon&x=0&y=0, I'd go for In the Dark as it's the first Laymon novel I read.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #17
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
For truly shocking (not checked if they're availble as ebooks) anything by Jack Ketchum or Joe R Lansdale - I'd particularly recommend Ketchum's The Girl Next Door <snip>
I was underwhelmed by Ketchum's Off Season. I still have Girl Next Door and She Wakes on my shelf - I'm hoping they're better.

For extreme horror, I'd recommend J.F. Gonzalez's Survivor, but only because it's the only book I've ever actually stopped reading because it was too gross. Eyeballs always get to me...
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
I was underwhelmed by Ketchum's Off Season. I still have Girl Next Door and She Wakes on my shelf - I'm hoping they're better.

For extreme horror, I'd recommend J.F. Gonzalez's Survivor, but only because it's the only book I've ever actually stopped reading because it was too gross. Eyeballs always get to me...
I must admit that I did most of my horror reading awhile back, and haven't been reading much in the way of horror the last couple of years, but I thought The girl Next Door was a chilling read. It's so brutal and cold with absolutely no redeeming characters. I don't think Ketchum is as extreme as those who followed after him, but then again, I haven't read much in the way of extreme/gory horror in a while.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #19
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Quote:
I must admit that I did most of my horror reading awhile back, and haven't been reading much in the way of horror the last couple of years, but I thought The girl Next Door was a chilling read. It's so brutal and cold with absolutely no redeeming characters. I don't think Ketchum is as extreme as those who followed after him, but then again, I haven't read much in the way of extreme/gory horror in a while.
I'm not much of an "extreme" horror fan (most books billed as such seem to try too hard and accomplish too little) but that wasn't the source of my disappointment with Off Season - I just thought it was a lackluster book in general, regardless of genre or intent. I've heard great things about Ketchum's writing, though, so I'll give his work another shot at some point.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
Kilgore Trout
Kilgore Trout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Wolfen by Whitley Strieber
The Hunger by Whitley Strieber
Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon
The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon
Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin
The Wolf's Torment by S. G. Cardin
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Wolfen by Whitley Strieber
The Hunger by Whitley Strieber
Harvest Home by Thomas Tryon
The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon
Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin
The Wolf's Torment by S. G. Cardin
I'd forgotten about Harvest Home, which I read just before Thomas Tryon died. The novel is very atmospheric and is, in my opinion, memorable in being both a horror novel AND a very literate novel.

I haven't read The Wolf's Torment. I'll look at that one.

Thanks,
Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #22
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
If you really want to read a horror story that will give you the screamie meemies, read
"The Patriot Act," by the US government....

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #23
dualice
dualice began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Swan Song by Robert McCammon is a great book. Haven't checked it is available in ebook format.
dualice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #24
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
The Shrinking Man by Richard Matheson is very good.

Also I love the ghost stories of MR James.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #25
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
I've been reading a lot of David Wellington lately.

Most of his books were originally published as free web serials, and are still available in that format at the link above.

Personally, I'm enthralled with his vampire series that starts with 13 bullets. Later entries (99 coffins, Vampire Zero, and 23 hours) are available as pbooks. (ETA: If you're interested in this series DON'T look up or read the description for Vampire Zero until after you've finished 99 coffins. It's got a major spoiler.)

I also thought Frostbite was a great take on werewolf mythology. That one is due out as a pbook later this year.

My wife liked the Zombie trilogy (Monster Island, Monster Nation, and Monster Planet) well enough to read straight through. I'm not as big into zombies, but I'll probably pick them back up eventually.

Incidentally, I’d like to try turning the web serials into ebooks so I can go back and read them easily once my reader arrives. Can anyone suggest a faster method than copying and pasting 60 chapters individually.

Last edited by KarateMonkey; 08-07-2009 at 11:57 AM.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Shining - Stephen King (still get freaked out thinking about those Topiary Animals)
Jaws - Peter Benchley (a good Summer scare and hey it's Shark Week on the Discovery Channel)
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #27
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The Shining - Stephen King (still get freaked out thinking about those Topiary Animals)
Jaws - Peter Benchley (a good Summer scare and hey it's Shark Week on the Discovery Channel)
Just reread The Shining - parts of it still can cause goosebumps - esp. when Danny encounters the dead woman in the bathtub! I had to stop reading for a bit.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #28
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Oh my gosh - I read the Shining for the first time when I was 16 - I was alone in the house and there was this huge storm. I got to the part with the dead woman in the tub and the front door slowly creeped open. I nearly started crying. I love the movie too.

The Exorcist - is it available as an ebook? - totally horrified me - still creeps me out as a grown woman.

Cell - Stephen King

The Keeper - Langlan
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
For truly shocking (not checked if they're availble as ebooks) anything by Jack Ketchum or Joe R Lansdale - I'd particularly recommend Ketchum's The Girl Next Door and Lansdale's Short Story collection On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert with Dead Folks.

Again, not available in ebook, but the best Vampire novel written since Salem's Lot - John Ajvide Lindqvist's - Let the Right One In - is worth getting hold of.

I see you have a Kindle 2, so here's a few:

Dan Simmons's Brood (looks great, and he's a good writer) - http://www.amazon.com/Drood-A-Novel/...=pd_sim_kinc_3

Richard Matheson's Hell House - (anything by Matheson is worth reading) http://www.amazon.com/Hell-House-ebo...2781850&sr=1-2

Loads of Richard Laymon here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_ki...laymon&x=0&y=0, I'd go for In the Dark as it's the first Laymon novel I read.
Joe Landsdale and Jack Ketchum - wow! It's good to know that there's another lover of these two incredible writer. Their fiction is right up the dark alley where I frequent - where all the murders take place.....

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote