Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Is it the right time to get an Opus?

It seems that the Opus has now finally become available in South Africa through Expansys. Getting it from them will be slightly more expensive than ordering directly from Bookeen for 260€ but won't come with the hassles of worrying about tax and import duty.

Now I'm wondering if it's the right time to get an Opus? If my finances work out at the end of the month I might be able to afford one. Will there be any potential price drops or other new devices worth waiting for?

Also is the 5" screen noticeably smaller than the 6" counterpart? I like the fact that the Opus seems to be more compact and hopefully a bit more robust. Also the Epub support looks like the way to go.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Will there be any potential price drops or other new devices worth waiting for?
The only one I can think of MIGHT be the Pocketbook 360. You can find info in various threads to see if it looks like something you might want to consider.

Quote:
Also is the 5" screen noticeably smaller than the 6" counterpart?
I've been reading on it quite a bit and haven't really noticed the smaller screen size.

Quote:
I like the fact that the Opus seems to be more compact and hopefully a bit more robust. Also the Epub support looks like the way to go.
It's quite compact and portable, which is nice. I do have a problem with it freezing sometimes, and I've read other do too. Not sure what's causing the lockups. It's a bit of a pain (I have to remove the battery cover to get to the reset button and make sure to remember the page it froze on), but not the end of the world.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-12-2009 at 02:42 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I would wait until after the Frankfurt Book Fair before making a decision. The fair seem to be 14-18 October.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Ebook readers will decrease in price over time, assuming they continue to gain popularity.

At the moment electronic books are incredibly expensive compared to paperbacks, and if you like buying the latest book you'll be getting ripped off constantly. That said there are many many free books available, and many of them available in very high quality on these very forums.

There's many advantages to electronic books and also disadvantages.

If you feel you're somewhere in the middle then it's an expensive time to make the switch. If you really like the idea of them then get one, I got one last year and I have no regrets at all.

There's no direct competitors arriving that I'm aware of - apart from the International Kindle.

There are firmware issues with the Opus, I'm not sure if the upcoming firmware from Bookeen is due to fix those, or if it's just for the Gen3. I would wait until that firmware arrives, just in case it doesn't actually ever come.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #5
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Oh, there's a list of direct competitors to the Opus in terms of 5-inch-screens right now:

Sony PRS-300, BeBook Mini, Pocketbook 360°, Aztak Pocket Pro

If you want a 5" device, you won't have to wait any longer because there isn't any additional device announced right now for the end of the year. Apart from that tompe is right. Wait for the Frankfurt Book fair and the weeks afterwards.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I would wait until they release a firmware version with bugfixes. As Opus is now, it often crashes, at least a few times a day, according to some users, and Bookeen isn't known for speedy delivery of firmware updates. Don't count on promises of future features.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't tell me that I will have to put the intl version of the Kindle into consideration then. It's either that are having to wait a couple more years to get an eReader.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 AM   #8
divory
divory began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Gen3, Sony 700, Opus, PB360
Crusader,

it might be worth waiting for the Frankfurt Book Fair, but please don't wait for Bookeen to produce new firmware - we have been waiting, Monday after Monday, for almost a year.

On the other hand, I would go ahead and buy an Opus. I have one and it rarely crashes. Mine hasn't since I removed the miniSD and that might be a cause of the problem. Anyway it has more than enough inbuilt storage for the most avid reader. I have had most of the ereaders from the Rocket onwards and the Opus provides by far the best reading experience. I am certainly not conscious of the screen being in any way small and the ability to read one handed makes it more convenient than a book.

David
divory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
Crusader
Space Cadet

The only thing that's holding me back at the moment is the crash/freeze issue of the Opus. Our local currency seems to be strong against the $ at the moment and it seems as if Expansys uses the $ for their pricing. So it's very tempting to get the Opus.

Since none of the other devices are actually available over here, I don't think they will play a major role in my decision. Importing them myself will make them more expensive than the Opus.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
In your position I'd wait until the firmware arrives... We've been waiting so long for it now, and so many expected delivery dates have passed that it's gone far beyond any reason. I am now of the opinion that I'll believe we will get new firmware when we get new firmware. I wouldn't want to bet that we'll definately see it.

From a purely selfish point of view I want everyone to buy Gen3 and Opus machines, but that's only because the more money Bookeen make the more they can throw at FW development :P
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
Quote:

Also is the 5" screen noticeably smaller than the 6" counterpart? I like the fact that the Opus seems to be more compact and hopefully a bit more robust. Also the Epub support looks like the way to go.
My thought is don't buy an Opus unless you would be happy with the machine as it is right now because assuming there will be a firmware update to improve things may leave you wanting.

The other thing on the difference between the sizes .. have held my opus next to hubby's Gen 3 (ex-mine!) and the actual difference is hardly noticeable as the opus has next to no side margin and much smaller header/footer .. hubby even thinks it looks as tho they present more or less the same amount of text .. really not much in it at all.

I am very happy with my Opus and glad that I changed .. the smaller footprint is easier for me to manage especially as I do most of my reading laying down

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Crusader
Space Cadet

I'm not a very patient person. Each night I have to force myself to NOT click the Buy Now button. This is getting frustrating.

How bad is the freezing issue? If it happens every once in a while I'd be able to live with it, but if it's constantly getting stuck I'll have to wait for the firmware to get released.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why not get a Sony 300? It seems to be more stable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #14
Crusader
Space Cadet

I really like the look of the Opus. The Sony also isn't available locally and their store does not support international users, although the Sony is compatible with other stores.

The other drawback is that it looks like the 300 doesn't offer a SD card facility.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
How bad is the freezing issue? If it happens every once in a while I'd be able to live with it, but if it's constantly getting stuck I'll have to wait for the firmware to get released.
Can't say how it is for everybody, but I've had two Opus'. The first one froze nine times while reading 2 1/2 books (over two days). I returned it and let them send me a replacement. The second one I've had for a while now. Sometimes I go for days with out it freezing, other times it'll freeze a couple times a day. I haven't really kept track, but I'd guess as an average it freezes once every couple of days with heavy use. By heavy use I mean about an hour at lunch and anywhere from an hour to four hours during the rest of the day.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote