Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #1
tiramisù
tiramisù is on a distinguished road

Device: prs-505
Is it possible to completely remove the right and left margins?

Hi,

I'm thinking about purchasing a Kindle3 but first I'd like to know if you can completely remove the left and right margins.
I've read that with Caliber you can set the margins to 0 (points), does this mean that there will be no white space between the bezels and the text?
Thanks in advance.
tiramisù is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I don't have a Kindle 3, but the earlier Kindles don't have this feature, so it's unlikely that the 3 will.

But I'm curious: why on earth do you want to do this?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
I currently have a Sony pocket and this enables the text to have no margins and hope the K3 has the same. Cannot see the point have having wasted screen space, well no more than 1em anyway.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Yes, in principle, thought AFAIK you could only set the margin format during a conversion and then the original file would have to be without DRM. I've done it with EPUB to MOBI for my Kindle and also EPUB to a new EPUB with smaller margins on my old Sony. My files were all without DRM.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Thanks suecsi, that's just what I wanted to know.
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
tiramisù
tiramisù is on a distinguished road

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Yes, in principle, thought AFAIK you could only set the margin format during a conversion and then the original file would have to be without DRM. I've done it with EPUB to MOBI for my Kindle and also EPUB to a new EPUB with smaller margins on my old Sony. My files were all without DRM.
Thanks for your answer, really appreciated!
tiramisù is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I don't have a Kindle 3, but the earlier Kindles don't have this feature, so it's unlikely that the 3 will.

But I'm curious: why on earth do you want to do this?
More real estate on the screen.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
More real estate on the screen.
Hmm. Not sure I see the point of that. What's the advantage of saving "real estate"?

Would you also want to do away with margins in printed books?
Old 08-11-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
grizedale
kindle Convert

Quote:
Hmm. Not sure I see the point of that. What's the advantage of saving "real estate"?

I see the bezel of the ereader as the margin.

In a pbook you have the edge of the book, then the margin, then the text, on an ebook you also have the width of the bezel added to the width of the margin, so I want the text to take up as much of the space as possible...

Last edited by grizedale; 08-11-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #10
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
Quote:
6" screens are smaller than a standard paperback page. In order to have about the same amount of words per line of a paperback on a 6" screen you need to reduce or remove the margins.
I like that the text fills the screen almost to the edges because it means less page turning, but I know not all people like that.

Quote:
No. Printed books are big enough to provide a sufficient number of words on each line even with left and right margins.
Printed books need margins so you can rest you fingers on them without covering the text, e-book readers have bezels for that.

Last edited by olis; 08-11-2010 at 04:46 AM.
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Mike L
Wizard

Thanks for the clarification. I hadn't thought of the bezel in that way. Personally, I like things as they are, but it would be good to have a choice, I suppose.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
I agree that margins on an ereader are rather pointless and more words per line without going to a smaller font would be welcome, especially since, as my eyes fail, I find myself graduating to larger fonts.

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #13
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Does anybody know if you read books in landscape mode on the K3, or is it a PDF-only feature?

If you can, it would be a nice way to get more 'real estate'.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmanden View Post
Does anybody know if you read books in landscape mode on the K3, or is it a PDF-only feature?

If you can, it would be a nice way to get more 'real estate'.
Landscape mode is available for all supported formats and for the web browser on K2/DX and will be on K3. The only thing that will not display in landscape is the Kindle Store.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Landscape mode is available for all supported formats and for the web browser on K2/DX and will be on K3. The only thing that will not display in landscape is the Kindle Store.
Excellent. Thank you very much.
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote