Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #16
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Try the Earthsea Trilogy, by Ursula K. LeGuin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't. Awful writer. Very highly overrated.
I absolutely agree with JSWolf.

Personally I can recommend Dragonlance Chronicles; fast paced, easy read, and there's plenty of room for more books if you like the trilogy.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
A whole lot of different strokes for different folks here. I loved the Earthsea Trilogy. One that hasn't been mentioned yet, that I liked was Guy Kay's Fionavar Tapestry trilogy (The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire and The Darkest Road).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #18
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I'll agree with the recommendation for The Mistborn Trilogy. I really like them and the follow up book, The Allow of Law (which is also begging for a sequel).

Although I haven't read it yet, I've heard good things about The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. They are on my TBR list.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I would also recommend the Earthsea Trilogy if:

- you're interested in characterization and the consequences of one's actions
- you're interested in world-building and a unique setting
- you love beautiful language, writing and story-telling for its own sake
- you want more than just a story which recounts body counts and how the bodies were made
- you want something other than EFP (Extruded Fantasy Product)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #20
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
How about David Eddings Elenium trilogy and its sequel the Tamuli trilogy. And there's always his signature series the Belgariad (which is a quintet) and its sequel the Mallorean (another quintet).
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
I too got bored with the Game of Thrones series (enjoyed the first, got halfway through the second and realized nothing much was happening, gave up.)

That said, I heartily recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It is an exciting, fast paced, very well-written fantasy novel that is not too long. It features a clever plot and an impressively thrilling climax. In fact you could argue that it is a thriller in fantasy garb which may be why I liked it when I am not a huge reader of fantasy.

There is a sequel as well (can't vouch for that, haven't read it yet but certainly plan to), and because you said trilogy, the third one is coming out later this year.

Last edited by usuallee; 05-14-2013 at 10:56 AM.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I don't know if it really fits your criteria, but I really liked the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

The Blade Itself
Before They Are Hanged
Last Arguments of Kings

Page counts are all in the 600-700 range and definitely exciting and fast-paced. The only caveat is that the series are considered to be in the Grimdark genre of fantasy. Grim and Dark.

An interesting discussion of this series and the Grimdark fantasies from earlier this year over on MetaFilter:

http://www.metafilter.com/125480/The-Value-of-Grit
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #23
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
I would also recommend the Earthsea Trilogy if:

- you're interested in characterization and the consequences of one's actions
- you're interested in world-building and a unique setting
- you love beautiful language, writing and story-telling for its own sake
- you want more than just a story which recounts body counts and how the bodies were made
- you want something other than EFP (Extruded Fantasy Product)

Very nicely summarized key points, which is the reason I like these books.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #24
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I don't know if it really fits your criteria, but I really liked the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

The Blade Itself
Before They Are Hanged
Last Arguments of Kings

Page counts are all in the 600-700 range and definitely exciting and fast-paced. The only caveat is that the series are considered to be in the Grimdark genre of fantasy. Grim and Dark.

An interesting discussion of this series and the Grimdark fantasies from earlier this year over on MetaFilter:

http://www.metafilter.com/125480/The-Value-of-Grit
I agree. It has to be the darkest, grimmest and most realistic fantasy I have ever read.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the recommendations thus far!

Some cracking titles on offer. First Law by Abercrombie has been on my radar for a while now, amongst others.

I am intrigued by Sanderson's Mistborn and the recently suggested Gentleman Bastard (The Lies of Locke Lamora) by Scott Lynch.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #26
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Hi there,

Here's my recommendation. It's not a trilogy. Its a pentalogy. But only three books are out. If you want fast paced and exiting this can be your choice. First two books are under 600 pages and third one is 40 pages over, but that's not a big deal I think.
The only thing that is bad with this choice is you will get hooked on the series and curse my name for having to wait for the last two books to get published

More on series here: Demon Cycle
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #27
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuallee View Post
That said, I heartily recommend The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It is an exciting, fast paced, very well-written fantasy novel that is not too long. It features a clever plot and an impressively thrilling climax. In fact you could argue that it is a thriller in fantasy garb which may be why I liked it when I am not a huge reader of fantasy.

There is a sequel as well (can't vouch for that, haven't read it yet but certainly plan to), and because you said trilogy, the third one is coming out later this year.
I second this! I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora. I haven't read the second book, either, but glad to know a third book is coming out.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #28
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
I second this! I loved The Lies of Locke Lamora. I haven't read the second book, either, but glad to know a third book is coming out.
Book 3 of 4 apparently. Republic of Thieves due out Oct. 8th 2013.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I'd also recommend James Maxey's Dragon Apocalypse trilogy-

Greatshadow: The Dragon Apocalypse Book 1-(the story is told by the ghost of the main characters dead, drunkard friend so there's some humor running throughout)

''Greatshadow is the primal dragon of fire, an elemental evil whose malign intelligence spies upon mankind through every candle flame, waiting to devour any careless victim he can claim.
The Church of the Book has assembled a team of twelve battle-hardened adventurers to slay the dragon once and for all. But tensions run high between the leaders of the team who view the mission as a holy duty and the super-powered mercenaries who add power to their ranks, who view the mission primarily as a chance to claim Greatshadow's vast treasure trove. If the warriors fail to slay the beast, will they doom mankind to death by fire?''
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #30
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I can heartily recommend Red Seas Under Red Skies for those of you who enjoyed The Lies of Locke Lamora, but haven't read the sequel yet.

If we're recommending things that aren't necessarily trilogies, then The Dresden Files is excellent. Detective noir meets urban fantasy, set in modern day Chicago with a wizard private eye. Fast-paced, lots of action, quick reads.

I've only read the first book of The Demon Cycle, recommended by Geralt above, but it was very good.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote