Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Yyzguy
Yyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of light

Device: iPad
problem with Kobo ebook on iPad

I recently purchased my first Kobo book for iPad (previously I have purchased from Amazon, but Kobo seems to be less expensive). I discovered that when I turned on night mode, the text disappeared (like black text on a back background). I played with every setting in the program, but nothing fixed the problem. Unfortunately, i do most of my reading at night and I prefer to read the white text on a black background.

I downloaded several other (free) Kobo books, and none of them exhibited this issue.

Kobo customer service does not have a solution for this.

Does anyone here have any ideas why this happened and whether there is anything I can do to fix it?

In case it matters, the book in question was The Upside of Irrationality, by Dan Ariely.
Yyzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

I don't have that book so I can't test it. I have never had that issue, but I really seldom use the Kobo app (I strip the DRM from books I buy there, and read them in Stanza or iBooks)....

But, it sounds to me like they owe you a refund for the book.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Yyzguy
Yyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of lightYyzguy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
But, it sounds to me like they owe you a refund for the book.....
They refused to refund the money. That will likely be the last book I buy from them.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yyzguy View Post
They refused to refund the money. That will likely be the last book I buy from them.
I don't blame you. If other books you have from them work, and that one does not, then there is something wrong with it. Clear and simple....

That is the one thing I don't like about buying online... you can't look someone in the eye and raise hell!!!
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
There is actually a helpful Kobo rep here on Mobileread...SameerH You might want to leave him a message!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
I have never used Kobo, but I have seen the same behavior in Stanza, which seems to mean that whoever designed the layout for the book specified a color (probably black) in the CSS for the text. Switching to night mode just gives you black text on a black background. Stanza has an option called Display Styles, and if you turn it off, Stanza will ignore the CSS and override the colors. Unfortunately, you may also lose some other styles, such as italics, depending on how they are implemented.

Since I do not use Kobo, I cannot tell you if the option is available, or what it is called, but it may be worth playing around with it.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I get that problem if I use open office and save to HTML because it sets the text to black instead of not specyifing a colour. Then if you use this HTML to build your ebook programs like stanza and i guess kobo have problems.

I've since learned to edit the file and remove that color part.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Yyzguy

Thanks for all the replies. I think I now understand why this happened.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Yyzguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
I have never used Kobo, but I have seen the same behavior in Stanza, which seems to mean that whoever designed the layout for the book specified a color (probably black) in the CSS for the text. Switching to night mode just gives you black text on a black background. Stanza has an option called Display Styles, and if you turn it off, Stanza will ignore the CSS and override the colors. Unfortunately, you may also lose some other styles, such as italics, depending on how they are implemented.

Since I do not use Kobo, I cannot tell you if the option is available, or what it is called, but it may be worth playing around with it.

The Bandit
Thank you - this worked!!!