Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: How happy are you with the way Kobo is handling Firmware releases and issues?
Frustrated beyond belief. It needs improvment 31 21.38%
2 12 8.28%
3 18 12.41%
4 6 4.14%
Neutral 22 15.17%
6 10 6.90%
7 19 13.10%
9 15 10.34%
9 5 3.45%
Totally happy. Its working out just perfect. 7 4.83%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I've had a Kobo Glo since last October and have never switched on Wi-Fi. The only time I've had a Kobo update delivered whilst connected to the PC was if I also had Kobo Desktop open and was logged in.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I'm somewhat in your camp, as well, but that means you can't turn on the
WiFi, I take it. I also wonder if it automatically "phones home" when you
connect it to your PC? (I guess I could configure a firewall to prevent that.)
Only if you use the desktop application and connect the device. Otherwise, it is just seen by the PC as a mass storage device.
Quote:
Stealth updating, not something I am in favor of.
There isn't anything stealthy about the updates. You are told when it happens either through the desktop or via WiFi. But, you don't get asked if you want to do it now.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Only if you use the desktop application and connect the device. Otherwise, it is just seen by the PC as a mass storage device.

There isn't anything stealthy about the updates. You are told when it happens either through the desktop or via WiFi. But, you don't get asked if you want to do it now.
So, you get to say No and not have the "Update" applied? Like when you
install some software and you can say No and not agree to every condition
in several pages of fine print lawyerese, and not have the software installed?

Or are you saying that they tell you they are going to do it no matter what
you may think about it?

I guess "Stealthy" is the wrong word for it, you are right.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
So, you get to say No and not have the "Update" applied? Like when you install some software and you can say No and not agree to every condition in several pages of fine print lawyerese, and not have the software installed?

you may think about it?

You get to see the downloading upgrade message but never get asked if you want to download the upgrade or apply it.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
So, you get to say No and not have the "Update" applied? Like when you
install some software and you can say No and not agree to every condition
in several pages of fine print lawyerese, and not have the software installed?

you may think about it?

Yes, they tell you it is happening, but don't ask if you want to do it. I got caught one day because I bought a book just before leaving work, did a sync to get it, but the update started downloading. Luckily the work connection is fast, but I still almost missed my train.

With the WiFi update, they do ask if you want to apply it now or later. But it will be applied either after the next connect to a PC or power off. If you connect to the PC, you can remove the files. And if the desktop app does the update, you can remove the files before disconnecting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I voted for the first 9, the one that is less than the second 9...

I have never had a problem with firmware upgrades (on both Touch and Aura) and, generally, the upgrades when they've come have been improvements. Yes, there have been cases where strange new bugs appear but that just makes life a little more interesting!
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The answer to this question will vary from one release to another so I did answer based on release 2.5.2 which as well known, takes away a lot of real estate for blank lines and optional info that users should freely choose to use or not but instead have it forced upon them. I therefore selected "2".
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #23
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I voted for the first 9, the one that is less than the second 9...

I have never had a problem with firmware upgrades (on both Touch and Aura) and, generally, the upgrades when they've come have been improvements. Yes, there have been cases where strange new bugs appear but that just makes life a little more interesting!
O gosh missed that typo.... thanks
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You can still use the wifi and avoid the download if you edit the "version" file (there is no extension to it, just open it in any text editor), change the "2.5.1" (assuming that's the firmware you want to keep) to "2.5.2".

When I screwed up after copying old files to correct a corrupt database, I had transferred an old "version" file so the download came in. It downloaded without asking, but when it came to installation, it asked if I wanted to install it now or later. I picked later, connected the Glo to my PC and deleted the update files and avoided the update.

So it at least does give you the option to stop the installation.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
I voted 8(9) - I am aware that I have accrued bugs with upgrades
and had it freeze on me in the process. On the whole though, I'm
happy with the upgrades I have had.

What I would like are clear options (as mentioned above) to not
download or upgrade straight away - a nag alert that new firmware
is available would be preferable to automatically doing it.

Also, it would be nice to be able to easily rollback to the previous
version if the new one contained bugs I couldn't live with.
Lots of devices allow this and the firmware images are small
compared to the 2GB of storage on the Mini.

Of course I'd like them to fix more bugs than they add, but that
criticism applies to most of the software industry and I don't think
Kobo are the worst offenders on that count.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #26
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
I voted for the first 9! I like that there are updates rather then none at all - and Kobo are trying to improve things instead of saying - 'well that will be on the next version and you can buy that one instead'.

I would be happier if they spent some time fixing the awful search feature on their website - whereby you can't often get the author you want to appear, never mind the book title. And now they are not going to do e giftcards - uh? step back or what??
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I've only been a Kobo owner briefly, but at present I'm going for a 3. I like that they are doing updates, I like that they can be done over the air via WiFi, but I categorically DON'T LIKE that they are forced on me and I can't opt out. And the latest upgrade which is a downgrade of screen space is not exactly welcome here.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #28
beckybug3
Enthusiast
beckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindbeckybug3 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Touch, a dead Kobo Aura HD, and a dead Kobo Wifi
I have had issues from some of the updates (my Touch really did NOT like the update that created the ability to archive!). But for the most part the bugs introduced are fixed quickly. I prefer to have updates and improvements to not receiving any.
beckybug3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #29
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
My feelings on neutral on this.

None of the updates have totally hinder my way on reading on the device.

At the same time none of the updates have benefit me greatly in my reading experience.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I voted 8. I've only had a kobo since early April, so it is hard to appreciate the frustration that long term users feel. That being said, some of you whine about inconsequential errors as if they completely ruin your reading experience. I've been there with the line height bug on my kindles. I have to say just take a deep breath and regain perspective. It shouldn't ruin your day if there is a header or one font doesn't render bold or italics correctly. There is a strange feeling of entitlement at work here that you feel that you deserve a lifetime supply of free updates for a device that is being sold at a loss.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote