Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Gardner Dozois’ Year’s Best Science Fiction anthologies coming as e-books

http://io9.com/5934805/all-29-editio...ing-as-e+books

So very happy about this! These anthologies (29 of them!) would provide me with a couple years of commute-friendly (or commode-friendly ) reading.

EDIT: No word on pricing yet as far as I can tell with my brief searches.

Last edited by djulian; 08-14-2012 at 08:46 PM.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
They're originally published by St. Martin's Press (parent company is Macmillan) so I expect them to be priced above $5.99.

The Twenth-Ninth is actually available on the US iTunes store at $9.99: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/year...on/id494939841

Personally I prefer Rich Horton and Jonathan Strahan's anthologies.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I presume you are talking about the old ones. I've purchased the last several as ebooks already. In fact I pre-ordered the most recent 29th and it was delivered a few weeks ago.

It would definitely be nice to have the entire series as ebooks!

Some amazing stories in those! (some sh*t too. )

P.S. I also have his "Best of the Best" as ebooks already as well.

I have probably half of them as pbooks, but not the first ones and am missing one here there over the years.

Last edited by kennyc; 08-15-2012 at 07:09 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just did some searching, looks like some are already available:

1st volume: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...?tag=sfsi0c-20

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/201...ardner-dozois/

just bought volume 1 and 2 for $7.99 each at Amazon.

looks like it jumps to #15 after 2 though...so missing 3-14 ..

There is a listing of the contents of each volume here:
http://www.squidoo.com/the-years-best-science-fiction

Last edited by kennyc; 08-15-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
Personally I prefer Rich Horton and Jonathan Strahan's anthologies.
I just picked up Strahan's first "The Best SF & Fantasy of the Year" as a freebie from Baen. Looks pretty good.
Advert
Old 08-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
I just picked up Strahan's first "The Best SF & Fantasy of the Year" as a freebie from Baen. Looks pretty good.
Is that the current one?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
it is OK, but I prefer Dozois.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've read some of those and did not actually find them to be all that wonderful. The term best is incorrectly used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
djulian
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Is that the current one?
Not sure--it's this one: http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1040-the...he-year-i.aspx

And it's got a decent pack of authors contributing--Gaiman, Doctorow, Bacigalupi, etc.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #10
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not sure--it's this one: http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1040-the...he-year-i.aspx

And it's got a decent pack of authors contributing--Gaiman, Doctorow, Bacigalupi, etc.
That's relatively old; current one is Vol. 6 I think.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
charlesatan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read some of those and did not actually find them to be all that wonderful. The term best is incorrectly used.
That's because taste is relative, so mileage will vary (and why we prefer some editors over others).
Old 08-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
djulian
Evangelist

Quote:
That's relatively old; current one is Vol. 6 I think.
Good to know--Baen had four; I'm earning free codes w/ their online game, so I get a free one every week or so. I'll pick up the first four there and work forward.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
That's because taste is relative, so mileage will vary (and why we prefer some editors over others).
Well, yeah, Jon likes the star wars books.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
A number of them available already at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...on+anthologies
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
kennyc

Wait....I coulda swore I said that.

Thanks!