Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
dfishocc
dfishocc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Nook for Android App Using Offline Dictionary

Hi! Maybe someone can help me. I've got a Nook Color that I dual-boot, to choose either Stock Nook Color or CM7. Most always I use CM7.

As a tablet, I have 3 readers:
  • Aldiko
  • Kindle for Android (though I've never owned a Kindle device, I have used Kindle for Windows and Kindle for iPhone in the past, and own several Kindle books)
  • Nook for Android

The Stock Nook Reader has a built in dictionary. I enjoy using it.
The Kindle for Android allows the download of a dictionary. It works well.
The Nook for Android is what is driving me a little nuts.

When I select a word that I might like to look up, I get the standard 3 options:
1) Highlight
2) Add a note
3) Search

If I choose "Search", I get this:
1) within book
2) Dictionary
3) Google
4) Wikipedia

If I choose Dictionary, it goes to http://i.word.com/idictionary to find the definition.

Above the dictionary entry is "NEW: Get the Free Merriam-Webster Android App!"

I got it, but I would like to have the Dictionary Lookup default to the offline Merriam-Webster app, but I can't find any setting to direct it to the offline dictionary.

Since the tablet has Wi-Fi only, and sometimes I use it (as an eReader) where there is no Wi-Fi, it goes to the above webpage, and complains that there is no connection to the Internet.

Can somebody help me figure out if it is possible to configure the Nook for Android app to point to the offline dictionary?

Thanks.
dfishocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfishocc View Post

Can somebody help me figure out if it is possible to configure the Nook for Android app to point to the offline dictionary?

Thanks.
The app can't be redirected to an offline dictionary. The developers would have to include an offline dictionary within the app (like the Kindle app).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert