Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2024, 01:01 PM   #1
steveparry
Connoisseur
steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Mac eReader software for Kepubs?

Can anyone recommend a good ereader for Mac OS? I was using Clearview X but it doesn't support Kepubs. Edit; I just tried Calibre which couldn't display Kepubs without a 'plugin.' Having installed the plugin it works. But for some reason this software uses an eccentric, non-standard UI - at least for Macs. Is there anything else available?

Last edited by steveparry; 01-28-2024 at 01:18 PM.
steveparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:20 PM   #2
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe & Paperwhite 11th gen
You might want to try FBReader.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2024, 02:55 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since a kepub is simply an ePub with added spans, you should be able to open one with any ePub reader applications. That's why under Windows, you see the two part .kepub.epub file extension which most programs will only use the last part of and see them as epubs. calibre is about the only program that stores them as .kepub without the .epub so you can have a kepubified version of the the ePub stored in the same folder.

When sending to a Kobo device, calibre will automagically change the extension from .kepub to .kepub.epub.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:58 PM   #4
steveparry
Connoisseur
steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FBreader looks good. At first it wouldn't show Kepubs as openable... Then I noticed, if you select 'All files' in the dialogue shown, kepubs are shown normally as opposed to greyed out. So far so good. And thank you!
Old 01-28-2024, 04:24 PM   #5
Claude_C
Evangelist
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe & Paperwhite 11th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparry View Post
FBreader looks good. At first it wouldn't show Kepubs as openable... Then I noticed, if you select 'All files' in the dialogue shown, kepubs are shown normally as opposed to greyed out. So far so good. And thank you!

Glad to be able to help.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2024, 09:04 AM   #6
steveparry
Connoisseur

Thank you. Now I just want to use Quicklook to preview Kepubs in Mac OS Sonoma. Epubs work fine but not Kepubs. Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2024, 09:44 AM   #7
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Isn't there a Kobo desktop app?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:58 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
You might want to try FBReader.
Oh heck no! Awful program.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:32 AM   #9
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Isn't there a Kobo desktop app?

There is. It’s very bare bones. No collections. No option to view notebooks. No PDFs. No sideloaded ebooks. (I can’t recall if it supports library loans or not.) Only one ebook open at a time, IIRC. However, it works solid enough when I need it. Supports Kobo Plus, too.
Cootey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 07:06 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparry View Post
Can anyone recommend a good ereader for Mac OS? I was using Clearview X but it doesn't support Kepubs. Edit; I just tried Calibre which couldn't display Kepubs without a 'plugin.' Having installed the plugin it works. But for some reason this software uses an eccentric, non-standard UI - at least for Macs. Is there anything else available?
There is no reason to download KePub. Go back to Kobo and download your eBooks as ePub. You'll have install and register Adobe Digital Editions. Then you'll have all of your eBooks form Kobo as ePub and you can red them with ADE. Most will have DRM.

If you install calibre or Kepubify and want KePub to read on a Kobo, you can convert the ePub to KePub no problem. As it stands, it sound like you want ePub for now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 08:04 AM   #11
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no reason to download KePub.
I wonder how many e-books you have on Kobo.com. I don't have too many, only about 100 books, but that's too much of a PITA for me, to download them individually. So I just use kobodl, where I can just download all of them at once, even though they're still kepubs. So far, I have not encountered an e-book reader that couldn't open them anyway, because as far as I can see, the difference in format is just the additional spans for the kepubs.

If there is a better workflow to get a big number of books all at once from Kobo, I'm open for suggestions, of course, I'm always a fan of improving my workflows.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote